Surf and Turf 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if there are any cruisers going down to California this year. My wife and I are thinking of going so Im taking my '82 BJ60 off the road to get it ready for the trip. Has anyone from BC every gone down to this event? How long would it take?
Im currently running the stock 3B diesel, original 4 speed tranny, 260,000 km and 235/75/15's. I probably should up the tire size a bit to get the rpms down on the highway. Can the 3B handle 33/9.50/15's at freeway speeds? Right now I'll be cruising at over 3000 rpm on the freeway and it'll be a long drive like that!

Thanks,

Mike Olij

Vernon BC, Canada

Mike, that's a trip I haven't made yet, but certainly looking forward to. Keep your eyes peeled for some of the guys from Van. going down. I've been running 33/10.5 MT's on my 60 for about a year now, and they've been good to me, drive quite regularly from Fort Mcmurray to Victoria (18 hours to the Tsawwassen terminal) and cruise at about 110-120. I've had a couple sets of 33/9.5, getting hard to find now, and i'd stay away from them anyhow, just too thin, and unstable, especially with some weight in the 60. Good luck!
Cheers
Dan

I am running 32 ish by 9 ish. no problems. as far as stable goes, pick a good load rating tire. low low rating my be unstable. Mine are load E, same ones we use on suburbans and 15 pax vans at work. narrow isn't a problem.

33's with no gear changes or a turbo will suck your power down. You will be at 2500 or 2300 on the highway. so it does give a overdrive. which may be good. but you loose a lot of power on the 3b. a bigger engine would be fine.

your sig says all stock. I would go with a 31 tire 32 max. Even 30's are good. I used to run 30x9.5. they were great. when I did the 2.5 lift I went a little bigger to look better and give some clearance.

but when I was stock the 30's were fine. the size you have now probably measure no more than 28 inches. so going to a 30 or 31 would be a good compromise. Unless you want to do 4:11 gears and maybe a turbo.

33's are big tires. if your dead set on 33's go to a 33 x 10.5 x15 AT BFG. Don't get MT for driving to California. I have seen the AT do quite good in off road. Very Good.

Don't do 12.5, its too wide for a 60 with that rim, unless you want spacers.

Personally I went to a 235/85 R16. it was to give me a better load rating and a more commercial tire selection, for all the gravel I drive in Northern BC. But I had to buy 16 inch rims.

Thats my two cents.....

vdubster said:
I was wondering if there are any cruisers going down to California this year. My wife and I are thinking of going so Im taking my '82 BJ60 off the road to get it ready for the trip. Has anyone from BC every gone down to this event? How long would it take?
Im currently running the stock 3B diesel, original 4 speed tranny, 260,000 km and 235/75/15's. I probably should up the tire size a bit to get the rpms down on the highway. Can the 3B handle 33/9.50/15's at freeway speeds? Right now I'll be cruising at over 3000 rpm on the freeway and it'll be a long drive like that!

Thanks,

Mike Olij

Vernon BC, Canada

Mike,

I am not in Canada, however I will be there again this year with some diesel's so there will be fellow diesel heads at this years event. Last year I took my BJ70 (is the airborne 70 series in this years flyer). Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the response. I hope to have my rig lifted and painted by the time November roles around. I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it'll be worth it.

16 inch wheels with 235/85/16's would be what I want but I just picked up a set of old fj40 steel wheel that are 15's. I'm going for a full on military theme with the truck.

Here's a list of mods I'll be doing :
-Olive drab paint
-dechromed
-black grill
-black bumpers
-old fj40 15" steel wheels painted gun metal grey or olive drab (haven't decided)
-BDS suspension lift
-snorkel (home built or Safari)

I'll post pics when it's painted. Should look unique.

Thanks,

Mike.

Been to Pismo Beach 2x, 1x for the event. Go. You're guaranteed some good comraderie. Pismojim is a riot.

Pismo is a blast and stock trucks do just fine. there are LOTS of cool rigs there and the fellowship is tremendous. Berni and I are planing on being there...
cheers

I'll be going this year. Leaving from Seattle.

Tom

one diesel 60 from nor cal coming!! I'll just wait on the side of the highway until i see you guys caravaning down, then as soon as I see you, I'll floor it, I should be up to sixty mph in 4 or 5 miles and then its happy cruising.

Come on down to California, I noticed the thread title and had to promote anyone to join us at Surf and Turf, I went to my first one last year and really look forward to hopefully meeting new and old cruiser heads this year.

-Sam-

I figure this will be a once in a lifetime experience for my wife and I. Should be a good time!

Mike.

vdubster said:
I figure this will be a once in a lifetime experience for my wife and I. Should be a good time!

Mike.

some how that comes across like your not going to be long for this world. don't figure you will ever have such an experience after this one?

with that army special 60 I am sure you will have once in a lifetime experiences many times over.

I think it sounds like he has an inside scoop on how the border will get shut down soon! :D

i am making plans to be there. it's closer to me than i thought... woooooo.

No, Im only 24 years old, just married and no kids so this will definetly not be my last cruiser outing. Im just saying it would be a really good time to go this year, nothing to hold me back and more money to put into the cruiser. And the army look won't look tacky, it will be a clean army look without bombs in the back or anything of that sort. (Besides, the wife won't go for the AK47 mount on the roof anyways) It will be relatively stock, kinda like a japanse riot police vehicle of sorts.

Mike.

vdubster said:
It will be relatively stock, kinda like a japanse riot police vehicle of sorts.

Mike.

:idea: Funny you should mention that...but I actually have a picture of a 60 series japanese riot police vehicle that I took back in the early 90's when I lived in Japan... I'll Try and dig it out and scan it...

FWIW it was grey as I recall, with lots of armor around the windows...

Would not miss it for anything, see you cruiser bums down thier.

Bringing the brats this year along with our new doggy.

Rob

Radd Cruisers said:
Would not miss it for anything, see you cruiser bums down thier.

Bringing the brats this year along with our new doggy.

Rob

Hey Rob, I need my truck for that trip! :doh:

Can I caravan down with you?

Tom :cheers:

HZJ60 Guy said:
Hey Rob, I need my truck for that trip! :doh:

Can I caravan down with you?

Tom :cheers:

Sure can, maybe Mr.BB will have his 1HZ going, his Safari turbo will be arriving for install I suspect next week.

We could have a decent caravan of oil burners on this run....

Rob

Well I hope to have mine Safari turbo'd by that time too.

But I'd better have my truck regeared by then down to 4.56ers or I wont be able to keep up with you guys.

Isnt it in mid November?

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom