1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surefire vs. dorcy LED flashlights

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by miked, Jul 21, 2005.

1. miked

miked

ok, i realize that surefire makes a better flashlight but i just had to post about a $20 "Dorcy Metal Gear" 1 watt luxeon LED i just bought.
    wow. this thing is bright (for an LED)
    the thing that gets me, is the price.
    a similar comparison to surefire is the brinkman xenon/lithium flashlight. also $20.
    (i have one and... it IS bright but, you pay for it in battery/bulb life)

the prices for surefires start at ridiculous and run right thru exuberant on the way to insane. sure they are worth it. no doubt. i've played with a few of them and i'm not knocking them but, i'm just bitter cuz i could never afford to drop $150 on a flashlight.

i sure wish dorcy made a 3 or 5 watt luxeon model. if 1 watt looks this good, then i just gotta have 5watts. hmmm. maybe i'll just order a 3watt luxeon directly from lumileds and see what the specs are...solder that baby right in there.

one more thing, the styling of this dorcy model made me LOL right in the store. they made it look very much like a surefire. i forgot my glasses and my eyes aren't that good, so i picked it up in disbelief that a surefire would actually be sold on a peg board in a major retail...(ok, look... it was at w*lm*rt but only because i had NO choice) i saw it was a knockoff and laughed. then i saw the 1watt luxeon and in the basket it went.

2. miked

miked

here it is.
    there is a nice metal clip on the side you can't see. the only bug is, it should've been pointed the other way. the switch is thumb operated on the end cap and the clip makes it so that, when you grab it, your thumb is on the lens. that is if you grab it with a natural wrist orientation.

dammit. another thing to adapt to and overcome. i know it's my strength as a human but... dammit!

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

4. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    You got that at Walmart? Sporting goods section or Hardware? Looks nice. For warlmart crap.

I hate that store- but being in small town middle-america means I end up there a lot.

5. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    The Luxeon LEDs kicks the regular superbright LEDs in the behind. a 1 watt luxeon LED is equivelent to something like over 10 superbright LEDs.

One issue with the cheap luxeon flashlight is the unregulated power supply. With the unregulated power supply, the LED dims linearly instread of a sharp dropoff - so a fresh set of batteries will be superbright and slowly decrease in brightness as the battery loses charge.

Here is a picture of the comparison of three flashlights - from left to right - Surefire 6P, 1 watt luxeon with 2 CR123 batteries (same as the Surefire 6P), and a 4D cell Maglight.

6. flintknapper

flintknapper

Good tactical lights run from the "reasonable" to the "ridiculous".

I like the Surefire's....but a good medium priced alternative (about $36.00) is the Streamlight Scorpion. I own 3 of them and they are very rugged and plenty bright for my needs.

7. mabrodis

mabrodis

I agree, if getting a tactical one, then get something good...for me I did not need/want a tactical one, I just wanted something I could use for camping, and my son could throw around and leave on for hours/days at a time without me caring (I have rechargeable batteries in all my flashlights, so I don't mind using them alot if needed.

8. robinhood4x4

robinhood4x4

miked, what kind of batteries does the knockoff take?

9. miked

miked

three AAA in a cylindrical holder

10. miked

miked

quoting '97 FZJ80' :
    "One issue with the cheap luxeon flashlight is the unregulated power supply. With the unregulated power supply, the LED dims linearly instread of a sharp dropoff - so a fresh set of batteries will be superbright and slowly decrease in brightness as the battery loses charge."

hmmph...(nodding my head and stroking an imaginary beard as i think back to reading something about this when the luxeon first came on the market. (you ever play tetris for so long that, as you're trying to fall asleep, all you can see are those stupid shapes coming down?(that is what happens to me when i look at schematics for too long)))