Surco Safari Roof Racks: Anyone have one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Surco Safari Roof Racks From Everything SUV

Wondering if anyone has actually bought one of these. They are aluminum, support extra attachments, and most importantly a 40x60 is only $260.00 :eek:.

Am I the only one who thinks $700.00 for a roof rack is rediculous?

No you are not. I want an INTI rack, but can't seem to part with the $1100

Surco Safari Roof Racks From Everything SUV

Wondering if anyone has actually bought one of these. They are aluminum, support extra attachments, and most importantly a 40x60 is only $260.00 .

I own one.... lol. but it came with the rig...

Depends on your use and what you expect from it.

I've owned a Surco and it's ok if you just want to hold lightweight stuff and occasional use.
Perfect for that.

They are no where near the quality or strength of a African Outback or INTI rack.
If you really use it (climb on it, carry heavy things, use it like a camping device) the expensive racks are the cheaper choice because they will last for years.

If you look at all these in person, there is a noticable difference in quality.

Once you buy all the mounting kits and adapters, it's not much less than a heavy duty rack.
Even at 50% less for a Surco, I still think a AO rack is the better deal.

Don't forget the J Moose, many have gone this route.

I installed a Surco Safari on a customer's truck recently. Its okay for the price, but like FirstToy said, its really best suited for occasional use and carrying lighter items. I would be leery of loading it up with a spare tire and a bunch of jerry cans for instance. Depends on what you're looking for I guess. I'd hold out and spend some extra to get a real beefy unit myself. I've seen and stood on a good quality (and more expensive) rack, and there really is a difference.

question, I'm new to this but I was wondering if you can mount this rack to the rain guard things above the window? or does it have to be on the roof rails?

thanks, apreciated

Before using one of the lighter duty racks, be sure that you'll be pretty much sticking to paved roads.

If you plan on running significant distances off-road with a loaded rack, your best bet is to upgrade to the better rack.

I have an old Surco aluminum rack that I picked up for $80 on craigslist. It's pretty solid. I've walked around on it. It has four mounts on each side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom