Supra Motor Swap (1 Viewer)

ktmracer01

SILVER Star
Okay, I know this one is a little far out there but...i think it'll totally kick ass!:idea:

I wanted to see what everyone thought of dropping in a Toyota Supra 7MGTE Twin Turbo motor. I dont know what those are producing stock but i think it would be sig. greater than what i have in my 1991 Cruiser right now. How hard do you think it would be to do? Would it be efficient off highway? Would the stock tranny be strong enough for the Twin Turbo or should i consider doing a T-case adapter to the Supra tranny? I dont have the factory lockers so I dont see that being any issue as far as any extra wiring to the tranny:confused: . My motor is getting a little tired pulling my 315's around, I know I can drop in a '93 or newer DOHC Inline six, but just wanting to go a little different if it's not going to kill me. this is my DD and I' like it to stay that way for awhile, or at least until i find another cruiser to build.

Let me know what you think. Has anyone ever done this swap before?:cheers:

denis

(O) toyota nut (O)
7MGTE is a single turbo engine. twin-turbo is the next generation ?JZ-GTE engines found in the later, roundish styles supras.

7MGTE can be made to work with G W and R series minitruck trannies. supracharged.com has some info.

For a 80 series I would skip the 3.0 turbo and turbo-swap a 4.5 FZ+T in , now that would be wild :grinpimp:
That or a V8 turbo :D

No torque. You'll hate it off road.

Moby

GOLD Star
A guy I used to work with had a supra with the UJZ-GTE (I think he's at http://www.torquefreaks.com/ now). He said that with the stock turbos it didn't do much below 3000 rpm. By the time I met him it it had been rebuilt .020 over with a single turbo conversion. When that thing spooled up it was crazy. It made me physically sick to ride in it when he drove it to its potential. He ran an aftermarket (AEM) computer with dual fuel programs (91 and 110). He claimed 500hp with 20+ lbs of boost at 91 octane and 700hp at 100. Those blocks are darn near indestructable, there is at least one race team (per an article in Hotrod) that claims over 1000 hp with the stock block. Despite this being a really fun engine with tons of potential it doesn't seem like a good fit for a cruiser that will be used like a cruiser.

ktmracer01

SILVER Star
right on, thanks for all the feedback so far, i've already learned something about this build potential. yea i didn't know if it was the 7mgte or the ?JZ-GTE. I was starting to wonder about the lower end torque for wheelin, but then again if this ends up being the mall crawler it sure would be fun smokin some little ricers in a full six SUV, especially with 35's!! : ) But then again getting that much power i didn't know which tranny would hold up better anyway. I've never heard of anyone breaking an adapter from advanced and I didn't know what the likely hood would be of somethin like that breaking uder that much load

Last edited:
I've got a 90 Turbo Supra as a daily driver and it has no low end torque. Once the turbo spools you go but there's almost nothing in first gear. The 7M non turbos seem to have more low end to them. I've actually thought about regearing the Supra to get more low end.

kirk

GOLD Star
There is no replacement for displacement!

An 80 is a big machine. the 4.5 is borderline in size. Go bigger not smaller. Also simpler is better.

The supra engine is a neat piece though. Might be a good buggy powerplant.

Kirk

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
What is tempramental about a turbo motor???

I have one in my 40..

kirk

GOLD Star
I hear ya on forced induction. Every vehicle I own except my 80 has some sort of force induction on it (Camaro & Duramax). Sounds like I have my foot in my mouth, but forced induction works to a point, then one needs displacement to get the job done. I would agree 100% that a turbo charged 4.5 engine would have all the power an 80 owner could ever need (it comes at a stiff price and is not readily available now). I just cant see the point of putting a smaller displacement engine in a truck that already needs another 70 cubes or forced induction to have the power it should of came with from the factory.

Would a 3.0 liter engine with 60 psi boost on race gas push a 80 around? sure would, but I would take a larger motor over that any day. With bigger displacement greater off idle torque(750-2000rpm) is available. That is what I am in search of...

Kirk

Website
www.harrysituations.com
I hear you Kirk and agree that a Supra motor is not really well suited to an FJ80. I wanted to keep my truck light but still be able to cruise down the freeway, that is why I stuck with the turbo motor. The car is a lot of fun, but it is light and the thing is still a dog before the turbo spools up. Not a good recipe for a heavy Cruiser.

I think that a 4.2L inline six cylinder from a Chevy Trailblazer would be a hot setup, but that talk might get me run out of town around here. 275 hp, 275 ft.lbs, and all aluminum should work great in an 80 though.

kirk

GOLD Star
Dirty,

Non toyota swap talk is cool with me. I am putting a 95 5.7L corvette engine in my 80 right now. The trailblazer engine would work. Check out the v8 in the trailblazer ext/envoy. Its super light (aluminum engine block), near 300hp and makes 335ft/lbs!

Kirk

Website
www.harrysituations.com
kirk said:
Non toyota swap talk is cool with me. I am putting a 95 5.7L corvette engine in my 80 right now. The trailblazer engine would work. Check out the v8 in the trailblazer ext/envoy. Its super light (aluminum engine block), near 300hp and makes 335ft/lbs!

Now I remember reading your thread in the 80s section, cool! I am fairly certain that the 5.3L Gen IV motors use an iron block though, not aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom