Supporting The Body!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
photos.yahoo.com
I am finally the owner of a '72 FJ40 (cheers :beer: and :) ). Body is in awesome condition and the motor needs to be rebuilt. Just wandering if you 40 guys can give me advise on how to support the body after I have removed it from the frame, so I am able to work on it as well?? I am new at all this total restoration business. I have built up a '62 but that was not near as much work as what this 40 is going to be.

Also, the removable rear cab needs to be replaced. I was looking at sor.com at their fiberglass roof and side cab panels. Any thoughts on the fiberglass rear cab and if they are worth the money?? Are these going to be a hassel to work with??

One more question. The doors I have for the '72 fj40 are half doors and the original full doors with the windows that slide up and down. I want to get doors that have a lock on them and a roll up window. Does anybody have any suggestions for some new doors?? I also saw the fiberglass doors found at sor.com and was wondering if they will fit the '72 model and if they are worth the money?? Thanks for your time and information guys.

Sebo4wd

Congradulations on your "new" 40!

Very simple to support the body. Simply make a stand out of 2x4's and ensure to rest the body where the body mounts would go. If you need to move the tub around (as I did about a million times!) put this stand on wheels.

The total cost of doing this should be $50 or so.

What I did later is put it on a Harbor Freight trailer. The trailer was under $200 and I needed a light utility trailer anyway. I mounted some 2x6's and 2x4's and bolted them on to the trailer using lag bolts. If I had to transprot I simply strapped it down. This was much better than the homemade stand I used.

trailer.jpg

You can put the tub on some saw horses if you do not need to move it much. Make sure the place where you put it is level and sturdy.

Can't comment on fiberglass hardtop peices and doors. I would find some used steel doors. They are around.

You have the soft top doors? I'll buy em if you want to sell them to fund your full door purchase. Just pm me!

Last edited:
I have totally rebuilt hard doors that I might trade.

Infact, I'm painting them today because it is nice and low humidity :) .

All new Toyota gaskets, channels, kick-out window rubber, original glass, zero rust.

They have the original Toyota keys and driver side door lock. I'm near Savannah, GA...

That sounds good and interesting. Hope they turn out good. Let me know if you want to trade!!
Will those doors fit on the '72 models???
Let me know.

With regard to the top side panels I would find some clean used ones over using the fiberglass ones. I'd imagine the steel top sides would offer a better fit and be a bit stronger too.

According to the Toyota parts manual, they will fit. I'll send you a pm on details and pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom