Superlift Tru-Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
Just got mine in today and wondering if anyone has anything to add (or modify) re: the instructions on Slee's site?

TIA

Keep the jumper handy at all time so if the truck dies and will not run, you can make it go home. . later robbie

powderpig said:
Keep the jumper handy at all time so if the truck dies and will not run, you can make it go home. . later robbie

I am missing something...I thought the jumper that was talked about on the Slee site was to bypass the Tru-Speed in case it died - you could go directly to the speedo and still get a reading.

Are you saying that if the Tru-Speed dies, the truck won't even run?

thanks,

Excellent - thanks Jim.

landtank said:
That's a nice writeup on a variation of my install. :cool:

Rick here knows his @&@&@&@&, and was instrumental when it came time for me to install a Truspeed in my 80. I followed his instructions, and it is a hell of a nice setup. My only variation I think was to have mine on a 2 foot extension so I can self tweak it while I cruise down the highway after a tire change. It's still mounted with velcro in the glovebox, but I can pull it out and over to me while I drive if need be.

:cheers:

TY

Does the speedo gear accomplish the same thing (with regard to shift points on the transmission) for those of us who are only running 285's? Also, from what I understand, the speedo gear is still not perfectly accurate for 33's, any other reason to make it worth the exspense of using the Tru-Speed on 33's?

:cheers:

Nate the speedo gear would accomplish the same but just not as noticeable as the tire size from stock is smaller.

I think I have a brand new speedo gear as I bought it before the truespeed was available and before I got it installed the truespeed was introduced.

I'll look around for it later Nate.

landtank said:
I seriously doubt that.

Am I the only one here that doesn't see a difference between Jim and Slees instructions?

Rick are Slees instructions yours?

Darwood said:
Am I the only one here that doesn't see a difference between Jim and Slees instructions?

Rick are Slees instructions yours?

Yes they are. It was close to 6 years ago now I think. There was an old Acme site out there that both me and Christo as well as others where a part of. I looked for it but it has been taken down. I had posted up a detailed install of my install and Christo followed my lead however he kept his unit in the glovebox because he changes tire sizes which made easier to get to the switch that way.

Good thing Christo put that tech article together as it would otherwise be gone by now.

I occationally give him a hard time about it as he's riding my coat tails on this one and getting all the glory :flipoff2:

landtank said:
Nate the speedo gear would accomplish the same but just not as noticeable as the tire size from stock is smaller.

I think I have a brand new speedo gear as I bought it before the truespeed was available and before I got it installed the truespeed was introduced.

I'll look around for it later Nate.

Cool, thanks, let me know what you find.

landtank said:
Yes they are. It was close to 6 years ago now I think. There was an old Acme site out there that both me and Christo as well as others where a part of.I occationally give him a hard time about it as he's riding my coat tails on this one and getting all the glory :flipoff2:

That goes back along way. I met John Clelland/Acme through the 80s list and helped him get his deal with Al at Man A Fre. As a matter of fact, I drafted the original correspondence John sent to Al to get him to make Acme a reseller. And I remember Christo's involvement on the list when he was just starting out. John did it all wrong, but Christo did it all right. I am glad to see him succeeding with Slee Offroad.

Regarding the TruSpeed, there is no difference in my install and Slee's. There's only one way to do the basic work. The only reason my install is even posted at LSLC is because that is the deal we made with Superlift to get the unit.

When I got the true speed they wanted it cut into the speed sensor at the T-Case. Hacking into the factory harness out in the open wasn't going to happen on my truck. That's when I dug around the EWD and found that plug behind the dash.

I actually tried to buy stuff from him but because of no comunication on delivery times and just generally keeping in touch through the long process of getting something it didn't work out.

powderpig said:
Robbie, what has your experience been with respect to the truespeed failing?

The initial offering of TrueSpeed had a problem with the Land Cruiser electronics. It would erratically fail giving no reading at all. My first unit would not work at all when cold but would come to life at some point while driving. Once it started to work it would work the rest of the day.

I would have thought that if the video signal from the speed sensor was needed for the truck to operate I would have had issues then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom