Supercharging the Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across a deal today on a supercharger kit, but I need to make sure it's a direct bolt on. It's a supercharger kit by "Boosted Tundra" for a 2002 Tundra with with the 4.7 2UZ-FE motor, the same as what is in my 2001 LC. It's a small company that put this kit together, and it uses a Powerdyne supercharger. It's too good of a deal to pass up.

It uses a URD plug in "piggyback" setup for the gas/spark components. It was originally on a SEMA truck named the "Double Boosted", and the claims on the kit were for an additional 100 hp increase and similar to that in torque. I contacted the guy who made the kit (no longer in business) and he seemed to think it would fit right on.

Are there any major differences between these two motors that I should be aware of? Thoughts?

Here are some pictures of the setup, and my engine bay.

Tundra Double boosted.jpg

2019-02-10(3).jpg

2019-02-10(5).jpg

2019-02-10(4).jpg

I have a TRD supercharger in my LC from a Tundra. I know the wiring was held up differently and I believe the intake silencers were different. As they now just sit there, instead of mounting anywhere. My S/C uses a piggyback ECU from TRD. As long as you have someone who can make sure the tune is ok or can work with that URD ECU then I don't see why this won't work.

What model is
I came across a deal today on a supercharger kit, but I need to make sure it's a direct bolt on. It's a supercharger kit by "Boosted Tundra" for a 2002 Tundra with with the 4.7 2UZ-FE motor, the same as what is in my 2001 LC. It's a small company that put this kit together, and it uses a Powerdyne supercharger. It's too good of a deal to pass up.

It uses a URD plug in "piggyback" setup for the gas/spark components. It was originally on a SEMA truck named the "Double Boosted", and the claims on the kit were for an additional 100 hp increase and similar to that in torque. I contacted the guy who made the kit (no longer in business) and he seemed to think it would fit right on.

Are there any major differences between these two motors that I should be aware of? Thoughts?

Here are some pictures of the setup, and my engine bay.

View attachment 1902041

View attachment 1902042

View attachment 1902043

View attachment 1902044

What model is that PD supercharger?

I think it is the BD-11A. The picture I took of it isn’t real clear but here it is. It’s got a pulley on it from when it was installed in Florida. I’m in New Mexico at 5200ft. Wonder if I need to change that...

5986F251-DD04-4315-B8E3-8C2250BF985F.jpeg

I would rebuild that before install. That unit should be reliable if you keep it below 9psi.

Not sure what your piggy back ecu is set up for as for in regards to elevation.
Is there anything I should check to see if it needs to be rebuilt? I didn’t notice any shaft play.
I have not had specific experience with that unit but, have read in depth experiences on the Ford Mustang boards as it is a fairly popular unit for SC the ford small block. Seems there is an internal belt that breaks fairly frequently but some folks attribute that to running more than 9psi boost. You control the amount of boost with the pulley sizes you choose. I have heard you can buy the race rebuild kit with bearings for all shafts and the new interior belt. There is a blind bearing inside that requires a special puller. I have read one guys post that he just went to his local machine shop and had them replace all the bearings for around 40 bucks and just bought the internal belt.

I would think that your boost level and kit you bought is fairly moderate? With your altitude my concern would be fueling and timing more than anything. I have zero experience with ecu tuning and injector selection on the 4.7 and would try and gather the info from the previous owner of his dyno tuning. Finding a good tuner will be a must for you . Really when going boosted the devil is in the details and slapping it all together is the easy part. You should consider : Exhaust flow, spark plug heat range, injector size, fuel pump delivery, timing, air fuel ratio, etc. You probably know all this but you are in the wild west with this set up. Search some of the lexus boards as I have seen some guys using this SC on the older lexus SC models too.

Does this not have a 9th injector with it? The TRD kit has another injector that it uses to supplement fuel and cool the intake air.

Also, the TRD supercharger doesn't ever show more than ~5psi on my boost gauge. My understanding at 5psi is that you are getting about 70-80hp and about 80-90tq. Be careful going with more than that. It was failing rods that caused the TRD kit to be pulled from the market. Most rod failures were on the Tundras. There are MANY claims as to why that was, but the prevailing myth/belief is that the Tundra's rods were cast whereas the 100s rods were sintered forged. Sintered it technically forged, but not in the way that most people think about forged. I often wonder if it is because they just sold so many more SCs for the Tundra than the 100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom