Supercharging my dad’s 1979 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! My name is Eli an I’m a 16 year old that makes YouTube videos. My latest project was fabricating this Paxton novi 1000 supercharger to my dads FJ40. I made the bracket and did all of the tuning, probably gave this 2F motor 80 more horsepower at 5 PSI of boost. Anyways I just got done with editing the first part of the series, go check it out on YouTube with this link. I’d really appreciate it!

33E76EBB-4169-449B-B692-4AFC93A64F85.jpeg

243570F6-B32A-465A-8B98-1A8FA013832D.jpeg

6F4FD477-BF78-4C11-BCAC-4F323329EC83.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice video. Would love to see some dyno results. No intercooler, eh? Are you worried about EGTs or melting the cast pistons?

Nice video. Would love to see some dyno results. No intercooler, eh? Are you worried about EGTs or melting the cast pistons?
Thanks man! Really appreciate it, I would run an inter cooler if it were a turbo. Just running off a belt this thing blows the same temperature air that it would normal suck without the blower. After running for an hour or so I can hold my hand on the housing of the supercharger. As you’ll see in the next video I am running a trans cooler that the oil for the novi 1000 runs through. I’d be surprised if the oil got to 100 degrees in the supercharger. Definitely a great question, this was just my thoughts when doing this. Now for melting the pistons we will see what happens, the engine still runs very cool even going highway speeds. If it does I’ll pull the motor and rebuild it. Thanks again!

Sounds like you're on top of the pitfalls. I would love to use a supercharger or turbo just to get sea-level performance at my 7000' elevation, but EFI gave me back a lot of missing performance and throttle response on my 2F, so I'm happy.

Pretty impressive for being 16! I did a sbc swap in an fj40 when I was 16, was pretty green back then. Been a mechanic and shop owner over the last 33 years! Nice to see you turning wrenches and not gameing!!! Today’s youth are so disconnected with the automotive hobby. My own 13 year old boy has turned to gameing, and he has grown up with dad in the shop! I’m hoping by 16 he will come full circle and be interested in building a rig for his first car.

Sounds like you're on top of the pitfalls. I would love to use a supercharger or turbo just to get sea-level performance at my 7000' elevation, but EFI gave me back a lot of missing performance and throttle response on my 2F, so I'm happy.
Thank you! Oh man that’s sweet! Is there a kit for EFI? I’ve not looked into that, they are such bulletproof engines! Can definitely take a whole lot, this supercharger helped throttle response a lot as well.

Glad to have had a part in this, Downey off road mfg machined all the pulleys for Paxton, to 10ths of a 1,000th of an inch for Pete’s sake.

Pretty impressive for being 16! I did a sbc swap in an fj40 when I was 16, was pretty green back then. Been a mechanic and shop owner over the last 33 years! Nice to see you turning wrenches and not gameing!!! Today’s youth are so disconnected with the automotive hobby. My own 13 year old boy has turned to gameing, and he has grown up with dad in the shop! I’m hoping by 16 he will come full circle and be interested in building a rig for his first car.
Thank you! I absolutely love making things in the shop, this is one of the projects that actually turned out! I’m sure he will be helping you soon. Was yours a route style supercharger?

Glad to have had a part in this, Downey off road mfg machined all the pulleys for Paxton, to 10ths of a 1,000th of an inch for Pete’s sake.
Wow! Had no idea about that, I burned up the internet and could only find serpentine style pulleys. That’s why I had one made, my friends shop is right down the road, makes 3000+ ft torque pulling engines. Made this pulley in under 30 minutes, quite impressive.

Thank you! Oh man that’s sweet! Is there a kit for EFI? I’ve not looked into that, they are such bulletproof engines! Can definitely take a whole lot, this supercharger helped throttle response a lot as well.

The Holley Sniper EFI for the 2F has had some great results. Do a search on the forum for some threads.

Thanks man! Really appreciate it, I would run an inter cooler if it were a turbo. Just running off a belt this thing blows the same temperature air that it would normal suck without the blower.
Props on an awesome project, but this isn't correct. Any form of air compressor heats the air. At 5 lbs of boost, probably not enough to be an issue, but she's not breathing outside air temp.

The Holley Sniper EFI for the 2F has had some great results. Do a search on the forum for some threads.

Very interesting! I really like that, looks very clean. Can you tell a power difference other than the extra response? I’m guessing you deleted the smog pump as well.

Oh okay! Yeah definitely has to make some more air resistance causing heat. I’ve ran it with the bonnet off and felt the air coming out after running it for a while and it’s still quite cool. As you said 5 psi isn’t enough to really justify an inter cooler.

Oh okay! Yeah definitely has to make some more air resistance causing heat. I’ve ran it with the bonnet off and felt the air coming out after running it for a while and it’s still quite cool. As you said 5 psi isn’t enough to really justify an inter cooler.
It will only make a lot of heat at full noise. As long as you run decent fuel and not stupid timing you should be fine at low boost. Do you know your AFR?

When it becomes a bigger issue is at higher boost, I am responsible for tuning a ford barra at 18 psi which badly needs more intercooler. She will make about 40 less rwhp on a second back to back run than the first with a fan over the cooler for 5 minutes, and the only difference I can see is IAT. I suspect it's pulling timing too, but case in point, if you're feeding your engine hot air you are leaving something on the table. The question is, if it's worth the ROI to intercool at 5 psi - I say no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom