Supercharger vs Turbocharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this isn't new, but this guy in Oz put a stock 1fz into an old Toyota Crown and was drag racing it(there is a ton out there if you do a search). He started out with a turbo putting out over 500hp withabout 15psi of boost and by the end of a 3.5 year period had it up to 900hp with 26psi of boost when it finally threw a rod.

I had heard about another guy in FL running a turboed 80 series who did something similar, but cannot find it again. He posted on Mud a few times. He was pushing the limits of the stock 1FZ expecting to blow the motor and it lasted like 2 years longer than he wanted it to. He was doing 10s in the 1/4 mile in a 5000lb truck.

I think the stock motor can hold up to significant power gains. Just don't be surprised if somewhere down the road you have to do a rebuild.

Very well put! That is my plan and rebuild is Ok by me then I'll put all the goodies in. :grinpimp:

Dave

the Safari Turbo for the 80 is quite possibly the best engine enhancement ever.................

IMHO

This would have to be my favorite 1FZ enhancement. They destroked it from 4.5 to 3.5, but they have it up to 1800HP. If only I had an extra 80K or so laying around plus $$$ for the rest of the drivetrain.

Toyota 1FZ Land Cruiser Engine Program 1,800HP+
titanmotorsports_2036_18674

titanmotorsports_2036_218892

titanmotorsports_2036_341282

titanmotorsports_2036_476800

I don't think one is better than the other but which one suits your needs. I have started reseaching turbos a bit due to the fact I don't understand some of the lingo associated with them.

What I have determined are my needs and wants. Living in Houston, most good places to wheel are a decent to loooonnnggg drive to get there. Having better highway trips while towning a trailer are more important to me. I am quite pleased with how she performs on the trail in low so I don't need any additional umph there. I figure for my needs about 300hp and 350-400 foot pounds of tourque will do the job I want. Most of my needs happen to be between 60 and 80 mph.

I don't know which one will fit the bill the best, but i am steadily learning.

Buck

I don't think one is better than the other but which one suits your needs. I have started reseaching turbos a bit due to the fact I don't understand some of the lingo associated with them.

What I have determined are my needs and wants. Living in Houston, most good places to wheel are a decent to loooonnnggg drive to get there. Having better highway trips while towning a trailer are more important to me. I am quite pleased with how she performs on the trail in low so I don't need any additional umph there. I figure for my needs about 300hp and 350-400 foot pounds of tourque will do the job I want. Most of my needs happen to be between 60 and 80 mph.

I don't know which one will fit the bill the best, but i am steadily learning.

Buck

You need a turbo.

Beowulf, the mogs are running at least 30psi. My 2003 u500 camper was running 40 psi 2500lbs of torque. The Cat's, Volvos, & Cummins rigs thought a jet was taking off. Rolled it doing 60mph when a
53" inch michelin decided to ignite.

In ran 15psi in my 97 80 for years via a boost controller(thanks to Ben). I think the truck is in Utah with it's new owner & still no problems.

It's good to have. I wonder how many supercharger owners fitted theirs with intercooler? Do I need anything else beside the kit? :confused:

Do a search by author Blarsen. He did a cutom top side IC with a subaru scoop. I think it is linked in the faq.

Beowulf, the mogs are running at least 30psi. My 2003 u500 camper was running 40 psi 2500lbs of torque. The Cat's, Volvos, & Cummins rigs thought a jet was taking off. Rolled it doing 60mph when a
53" inch michelin decided to ignite.

In ran 15psi in my 97 80 for years via a boost controller(thanks to Ben). I think the truck is in Utah with it's new owner & still no problems.

Pics too:D

-I will look for photos.
-The turbo was installed at man-a-fre
-Ben @ Slee handled the boost controller, EGT, & a lot of the build. I think it would dial up to 16 psi. I kept it between 8 & 12 psi once you get above that in the lower gears the tranny would slip. I would never run 15 psi in 1st & 2nd on an asin 343.
-I wish I could remember the owner in Utah who bought it, I traded it in for a New unimog at warner truck center. rg

I like to run mine 7-9 and that is plenty of whallop.......................

The 1FZ-FE will take more than that sure but it definately is gonna shorten the lifespan of the motor and its really not needed IMO.

I like to run mine 7-9 and that is plenty of whallop.......................

The 1FZ-FE will take more than that sure but it definately is gonna shorten the lifespan of the motor and its really not needed IMO.

After my warranty is up on my S/C, I might consider running a smaller diameter pulley if I can find one and if it doesn't cause me too many headaches with fuel metering etc.

I know CDan is running a smaller pulley, 3.0 IIRC, but he also has is WWII fighter jet methanol injection system. I'd rather not have to go shopping at an AF surplus yard for this type of antiquated system. :hillbilly: jk

If you are reading this Dan, how much extra boost did the smaller pulley give you? I remember reading about it a long time ago and I can't rember what thread it was in.

Kit cost $3500.00 plus tax. Anyone interested, pm me and I'll give you the info where to order it.

Last edited:
with the Turbo you can just run regular 87 gas? SC 91+ right?

how about internal work or anything else that you might need to run a turbo? or do you just set it up and good to go... how much HP can the stock internals take on an 80?

i was thinking to go to SC but now im leaning towards a Turbo after i take care of other things... where to i get more info on what turbos to run for the Cruisers, what sizes work best in mid range?

i hear you get 1-2mpg gain average with a turbo too?

currently im 70% turbo 30% SC lean. i had a Supra TT before, are those 2 turbos good for a twin set up on the 4.5 or would they be to small?

If you are seriously considering installing turbo, you need to sign up right away and be on ranma21's list. He is considering ordering Safari turbo kit and the response so far was overwhelming. :D

Last edited:
If you are seriously considering installing turbo, you need to sign up right away and be on ranma21's list. He is considering ordering Safari turbo kit and the response so far was overwhelming. :D

where where?

is tunning them a big deal? i heard some people had issues with turbos offroading and some issues in cold weather up up north.

can you run 87 gas with turbo, and will you get 1-2mpg gain?

is there still a list going for the safari turbo? i couldnt find anything, how many people signing up for it?

The Safari list is sort of a joke.
Recently, on another turbo thread, someone contacted Safari, who said they would make a run of 25 @ about $6000 each.
Three people said they were in, hence the joke.
Good luck rounding up 22 more.
I am considering turbo myself.
These guys have a "kit", and their manifold design is similar to Safari.

Turbo-Glide: Landcruiser 4.5 petrol engine 2 piece cast iron turbo exhaust

The following is an email reply from them about the cost and completeness of their "kit".
Manifold - $740.00AUD ($478.00USD)
Kit cost - $3690.00 ($2379.00USD) includes manifold, 600 hp Garrett 35/40 ball bearing waste gate turbo, oil supply lines in and out, water lines in and out, exhaust dump flange, 2 x alloy 90 deg air inlet elbows, air outletmanifold adaptor.
Kit can be intercooled or also works well at 5lb boost without or premium fuel 95 octane or higher.
Intercooler can be supplied from diesel kit for 100 or 80 series which mounts in grill.
No plumbing provided from cooler to turbo or turbo manifold at this point in time, to be fabricated at your end.
Stock engine management is retained up to 5lb boost, only rising rate fuel regulator is required and 3" exhaust from front to rear.
FedEx air freight $263.00AUD ($170.00USD).

I suppose a turbo would be nice if you had the cash. But it's hard to beat the bang for the buck with the drop in S/C.

is there still a list going for the safari turbo? i couldnt find anything, how many people signing up for it?

Pm ranma21. There are two on the list so far. Hopefully, by the time we have 25, I have enough money saved up to pay for one. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom