Supercharger vs Turbocharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Which would be the best way to go if and when I decide to add more horsepower to my 80s? What are the pros and cons? Which one do you have or would like to have? Let's compare these two closely so we can better decide. TIA ;)

Last edited:
Supercharger - factory from Toyota Racing Development. Built for OEM applications and warrantied by Toyota. Known for better low end performance rather than high end performance. Easy bolt on application with the exception of extending the engine wiring harness. Cons, they are expensive and you have to run premium fuel for the rest of the time you own the truck. Specific performance gains are really dependent upon the specific vehicle...but, you are looking at least 20% gains across the board (at least from what I have gathered). Mine is sitting waiting to get installed.

- Mark

If I had a stock exhaust I would definitely lean towards the turbo. You get to replace the stock Y-pipe with a single down tube from the turbo and the turbo can create more power across the board without losing top end.

The supercharger on the other hand is easier to do a diy install. If I were to pony up I would be tempted to do the supercharger since I already have a header exhaust in place that would help maintain top end power. But turbo is the better way to go if you have the up front resources. IMO

With a super charger you will get gains all across the board. With a turbo you can set it up to spool up quick for lots of low-end and no top-end. A guy could set it up to have boost at idle if he so wishes. Or you can do the opposite and have absolutely no low-end and be a screamer down the highway. Or you could go twin turbo and get the best of both worlds and get the bragging rights.

If you want it really clean, I would try and find a TRD super charger.

Owned both several times
- superchargers suck; they overheat constanly @ low crawl speeds
- Turbo is hands down a better performer across the board. Mileage, Power, low end, top end, more reliable, less moving parts, no overheating. The trucks fly with turbos & put you in g55 kompressor speeds.
I blew the doors off of a turbo porche pulling vail pass. I was running 15psi.

I've been pretty satisfied with my SC so far. Sure, when it's pegged out going up a steep grade the power band is lost. But for most of the range that I use, the power is definitely sufficient. I haven't done much towing with it yet, just weighed down with gear. It looks like a turbo might be the only option.

Here is a pretty good thread on superchargers and their owner's opinions.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...ead-would-you-supercharge-all-over-again.html

Edit: For the cost, the SC is a pretty good bang for the buck. Sure, who wouldn't want a twin turbo, go for it if you have the $$$$

Last edited:
well this IS easy now.
There are no more supercharges, so go turbo!

bpassmore points this out also and this is the 3rd time I saw Superchargers are not available any more also.
But the posts go on talking about them like you can get them.
Links to older posts are irrelevant if they no longer made.

If some one has a working link to a suppler that is currently selling them please post it.
I was leaning towards a supercharger for the low end and less under hood heat.

Thank you
Brian

If some one has a working link to a suppler that is currently selling them please post it.

Brian,
AFAIK, the only super charger kits for the 80-Series are the kits put together by TRD and made available to Toyota dealers. They stopped production the first time back in 2006 or so. In mid-2008, TRD made another run of ~50 kits. There is a possibility that some of those 50 kits are still in the pipeline or sitting on the shelf at some Toyota dealer or a reseller or individuals that bought them. We were told the last kit available from TRD was recently sold to a 'Mud member. That is the best information we have at this time.

If you really want one then post up a listing in the "Wanted" section and see what happens. You can also try contacting various Toyota dealers, especially those that actively push the TRD products. You might get lucky as one 'Mud member did about a year ago... he found one at a dealer for a crazy low price... seems the dealer was clearing out inventory and this S/C was found and they wanted it quickly gone.

Another option is to contact TRD and let them know that you, and possibly others, are still interested in these kits. Ya never know... they might decided to build another 10 or 20 kits in 2009 since the 50 kits they made available last year went fairly quickly for a specialty item.

Good Luck.
-B-

I was told that superchargers are still available but will take 2 to 3 weeks to get. I'll try to order one and and see what happens.

It's good to have. I wonder how many supercharger owners fitted theirs with intercooler? Do I need anything else beside the kit? :confused:

Here is something that is never mentioned. Frankly I have never run out of power off road in low range. It is more about gearing then anything else at crawl speeds. The reason I mention this is that yes w/ a supercharger you make power across the board. However, that is a mute point in low range, if you have the right gearing. As someone else mention turbos are more tweak-able to ones needs and desires.

It comes down to personal choice. For the longest time I have been going back and forth. But what I want a supercharger will not give me! (at least not the TRD) That is white knuckle, grab bar grabbing, passenger pissing is there pants, f---ing power. Our motors will do it! Why the h--- not. For less money than the Trd to! For me TURBO as soon as I can get it passed the :princess: WAF!

Check this out! this is just one of many!
YouTube - Land Cruiser VXR 1995 19psi boost burnout

Here is something that is never mentioned. Frankly I have never run out of power off road in low range. It is more about gearing then anything else at crawl speeds. The reason I mention this is that yes w/ a supercharger you make power across the board. However, that is a mute point in low range, if you have the right gearing. As someone else mention turbos are more tweak-able to ones needs and desires.

It comes down to personal choice. For the longest time I have been going back and forth. But what I want a supercharger will not give me! (at least not the TRD) That is white knuckle, grab bar grabbing, passenger pissing is there pants, f---ing power. Our motors will do it! Why the h--- not. For less money than the Trd to! For me TURBO as soon as I can get it passed the :princess: WAF!

Check this out! this is just one of many!
YouTube - Land Cruiser VXR 1995 19psi boost burnout

If that's what you want, you had better have some money saved up for a forged bottom end :doh:

Without tearing into the rotating assembly, the low boost S/C is the easiest/safest route to go :cool:

But if you want to push boost to the limit with forced induction (I prefer turbo btw), then it's best to build the entire motor to suit the application :cool:

I'm not saying it can't be done, but don't expect it to be cheap and reliable when pushing the envelope :meh:

Checkout this badboy :eek:

Browser Warning

Last edited:
If that's what you want, you had better have some money saved up for a forged bottom end :doh:

Without tearing into the rotating assembly, the low boost S/C is the easiest/safest route to go :cool:

But if you want to push boost to the limit with forced induction (I prefer turbo btw), then it's best to build the entire motor to suit the application :cool:

I'm not saying it can't be done, but don't expect it to be cheap and reliable when pushing the envelope :meh:

Checkout this badboy :eek:

Browser Warning

I think you are missing the point I was making! That is, I have never run out of power off road in low range. The link well, I was just using it as an example. Also, our bottom ends are pretty darn stout just the way they are... I am not looking a making 750HP, but 400 reliable HP is sure achievable for less than a TRD supercharger and you can have a intercooler to. I have been pricing this out for some time now. Sure it is not plug and play. Yet for a little extra work and planning it can be done. I am of the mind set, if I break it; then I fix it no big deal to me. It is just nuts and bolts. Righty tighty, lefty loosey and try not to have to many left over when you reassemble. :hillbilly: LOL :lol::eek: This is just my take on things.

Dave:cheers:

Last edited:

I know this isn't new, but this guy in Oz put a stock 1fz into an old Toyota Crown and was drag racing it(there is a ton out there if you do a search). He started out with a turbo putting out over 500hp withabout 15psi of boost and by the end of a 3.5 year period had it up to 900hp with 26psi of boost when it finally threw a rod.

I had heard about another guy in FL running a turboed 80 series who did something similar, but cannot find it again. He posted on Mud a few times. He was pushing the limits of the stock 1FZ expecting to blow the motor and it lasted like 2 years longer than he wanted it to. He was doing 10s in the 1/4 mile in a 5000lb truck.

I think the stock motor can hold up to significant power gains. Just don't be surprised if somewhere down the road you have to do a rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom