1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercharger running boost a lot, bad?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Trunk Monkey, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Just got back from a stupendous trip to the in-laws in Wyoming. On the way back, we were fighting a nasty headwind the whole way. I noticed that to keep 75mph, the blower was pushing 3-5 psi the whole time. Is that a nasty stress on the engine to have it running like that? I did notice that the tranny tunnel was a little hotter than usual, but not bad. Just living in fear of replicating Junk's fun issues.

Thanks.

2. robbie

robbie Guest

I would not think it would be too detremental to the engine unless you were running warm on the coolant. If the engine was running warm I would worry about the coolant system(including fan clutch) or head gasket. If it was running fine, great. Hopefully you are running synthetic oil or high quality oil. later robbie

3. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

Robbie- what range of coolant temps would you consider running warm?

4. mts

mts

As long as the engine isn't overly hot (coolant temps & oil temps), and you are not having any detonation, you should be fine. It goes without saying, on any forced induction vehicle, you likely need the added protection of a good synthetic oil.

Mt 1/2 cent,
    Mike