Supercharger power increase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^ I'm with Dan on the 3UR.
The transfer drops to the center so you would need a custom built axle and inner shafts as well...
I would imagine you could pull everything you need from a totalled Tundra.
Someone half-jokingly offered a Supercharged 3UR to me at work for my FJ80.
I wish it could have been a reality...

Been discussed, but maybe a good time to repeat; what is the cost of a V8 conversion vs supercharger, GM V8 versus Toyota V8, with or without a transmission change? Anyone out there doing turn-key V8 conversions?

Yes, just buy a 100 and enjoy the extra power and comfort with instant gratification.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

You wanna sell it?

100s make the 80 look like a skinny chick and it's about the same money, either way you go.

NLA.

Ha! - Thanks for the "gracious offer" to relieve me of my SC kit - but being the martyr that I am, for now I'm fine "taking one for the team".

In all honesty, it will probably be offered to the buyer of my 80 first, then if refused then to the MUD classifieds - IDK, but maybe by then there will be more kits produced (that would be a speculation only Dan or Onur could comment to, I'm just going from when it's been an item that has been OOS for 6-8 months on numerous occasions)

Or, if someone has a late 100 or 200 they want to trade to me + cash from me (been saving for a bit), they could get a 80 & the kit - but it would have to be a nice 100 or most any of the 200's as they are still mainly too new to have missed maintenance schedule.

If anyone has one & wants to talk, PM me - I am spending more time boating than anything more, so I really am serious about a IFS Landcruiser & not worrying about body size being slightly larger.

My original point to the OP was that he'd be smarter money to SAS a 100 than powertrain swap a 80 - especially if he can weld himself. - But to each their own POV.

Are you suggesting that a welder can SA a 6k station wagon?

Hahahahahahahaha.

Sounds the perfect future post for the ghetto fab thread.

There's so much more to suspension design than welding, yet, any shop, worth it's salt can, inevitably, swap in a V8.

Not even remotely close to the same operation, since a failure of one may leave you stranded on the side of the road, while another may leave you dead.

Assume $20k, plus base vehicle price, if dropping it at Christo's, either way.

One nets a well appointed, US derivative, wide body 100, with full width axles and major suspension modifications. High cool factor, granted. Didn't buy much beyond, and utilizes most all 80 components for the SAC.

Other nets a very similar displacement, similar numbered Toyota V8, in the narrower body, without major suspension modifications, required. Very high cool factor, didn't by much beyond.

Who doesn't love a V8?

That said, the best of both of those worlds, in my opinion, is a GX470, since it embodies the key criteria that make the two capable. V8, narrow, lighter and with a solid axles, engineered suspension, it'd give both the 80 and 100 a run for it's money.

That one's been opened...:flipoff2:

It's a box, not panties....

My preferred V8 swap would be a 3U 5.7 liter, 381 horse bad boy. The electronics required to master that would likely be a deal-breaker I fear.

My experience regarding is NAd 2UZ-FEs and 3UR-FEs.

2UZ-FE in the same platform was, by far, a better engine from a butt dyno perspective.

Granted, those same platforms dramatically changed in every aspect, but I'd line a GX470 up with a GX460 for pinks, any day.

Hell, drag racing my wife, she's only beat by a car length, or so, and I was pushing 37s with the unappreciated, unloved, NA 1FZ-FE.

Yeah, there's the 100. V8. More horses. But in the words of a friend who is trying to get in an LC, "The 100's ugly".:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Harper68 - if you can find a TRD SC, it is definitely worth it. As you have most likely read on other threads, there are other things/mods that can/need to be done in order to optimize the performance and reliability from a SC'd 80. If you plan on keeping your 80 for a long time, it's worth the investment.

Keep an eye out in the parting out section for a wrecked 80 with SC. I got mine off a parted out rig and sent it off to Magnuson for a tear down and rebuild as mine had a little bit of play in the bearings. If that's not needed though, you'd be good with just changing the SC oil, pulleys and belt.

Sourcing "used" is pretty much your only realistic option since they are no longer available "new".

As far as serviceable parts, I found replacement pulleys at the local auto parts store and posted up part numbers in another Super Charger thread. Gates makes the belt and GM has good super charger oil.

The thing to remember is that cost vs. ability and time to modify is different for each owner.
Some have money, some have ability, some have time, some have all and some have none.

Having a 100 series, I can compare that my 6000lb. 80 runs just as good and is just as peppy as my stock LX.

In my case my SC was really affordable, the SC set me back about $1800 including the rebuild & shipping. At the time, I didn't have another option as I was moving back to CA and there was nothing CARB legal that was available or affordable other than the TRD SC.
All the other PM and modifications cost a bit more but it came to nowhere near the price if a new SC.

There's so much more to suspension design than welding, yet, any shop, worth it's salt can, inevitably, swap in a V8.

Not even remotely close to the same operation, since a failure of one may leave you stranded on the side of the road, while another may leave you dead.

Assume $20k, plus base vehicle price, if dropping it at Christo's, either way.

Yes, Suspension design is complicated. Geometry is only a small part of it. Design for strength/durability is even more involved. You can't just go to a fabricator and have them weld up something that will work. It might only work once if it isn't designed right. Also, there is such great effect to other parts due to changes in the suspension, it gets mind boggling. Then tuning for good ride comfort is even another thing to add.

On Delancy's other point about the $20k, what do some of you guys do for work that you can afford to just plan to drop $20k on your toys? I want that job! I'm certainly not getting it here...

Yes, Suspension design is complicated. Geometry is only a small part of it. Design for strength/durability is even more involved. You can't just go to a fabricator and have them weld up something that will work. It might only work once if it isn't designed right. Also, there is such great effect to other parts due to changes in the suspension, it gets mind boggling. Then tuning for good ride comfort is even another thing to add.

On Delancy's other point about the $20k, what do some of you guys do for work that you can afford to just plan to drop $20k on your toys? I want that job! I'm certainly not getting it here...

Start your own business manufacturing in the entertainment industry. Then sell out to your richer competitor but retain shares. Then a year later resell to a huge professional camera manufacturer.

...then get laid off when your contract ends and go on unemployment for three months so far while your wife picks up the slack for your unemployed ass all while arguing about why you don't have a J O B and why in the hell are you spending all this money on this stupid truck when you aren't even bringing home a paycheck and the least you can do is clean the house and wash the dishes. Where is my dinner?

Er, I mean....we all take different paths. Your mileage may vary. :(

@Golgo13

I look into the finance box
to check my status.

"Status"

I look into the micro scope
and see a Golgi apparatus.

"Status"

Golgi oh woe is me.
Can't even see the sea.
Golgi, Golgi, Goooooolgi oh Golgi.

I'm an adult film star, myself.

Dunno 'bout the rest.

I worked in a very great paying career that I didn't like for almost 15 years. Looking back was it worth the money? Who knows. I am saying no now, but that is after the fact.

Last edited:
My cruiser has been in the shop for about a week got it back yesterday after getting the rear brake lines replaced and an alignment done. I will try and make a long story short. After selling our 94 about 4 years ago to another mud member we have really missed it and really regretted selling it, I had been looking for about 6 months and Found a 97 locked white and apparently clean and had it shipped from Texas. Since it's arrival I have fixed p/s hoses oil pump leaks full tune up a complete front end rebuild including a new front third member Cdan shipped me recently and new ome suspension kit from slee and new tires.. I still have the reverse transmission issue I need to deal with. While in the shop I started looking at other options test drove a 100 series and considered selling it, I then picked up the 80 from the shop got a smile on my face and drove it home. I think I will be happy with what I have and live with a slightly underpowered rig for towing. Like my wife tells me how fast do you really need to pull a trailer anyway. I will still continue to look for a sc if the right deal comes around I will give it a try.

Forgot to mention one last thing I have had 2 tacomas 95 and 02 and neither one can wheel like the 80 it truly is an impressive off road vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom