Supercharger on FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck is a '97 FZJ80 40th anniversary and thinking about putting a kazuma supercharger on it. The only problem is that I'm not sure if the mileage (135k) on the truck will effect the performance of the supercharger and the engine. Any input about my situation will be nice.

- Sammy

[glow=black,2,2] Hold on , I'm not sure if this has been covered yet !

BTW , welcome to the forum .... lots of great info in the archives ;)[/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

Welcome...

There are a few very in depth threads on every minutae of supercharger ownership....check out the search feature to track them down.

That being said...be very careful about putting a supercharger on a 1FZE with that mileage. While 135K is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, plopping a SC on top has been known to crater the engine pretty fast.

-H-

Sammy, welcome to the forum and please become one with the SEARCH button :flipoff2: :D

I have a 40th as well, with the blower on it. It does not crater the engine fast, but you need to make sure the engine is in perfect shape before hand. When you do the search, be sure to read the posts from Sleeoffroad (that's Christo) and Robbie (of course that's Robbie :doh: :D). They know buttloads of info on this.

This is one mod I wish had never done. Adds heat, requires premium fuel, and complicates everything you will ever want or need to do on the engine. So, not saying to not do it, just be sure you want it before you do it.

I expected the extra heat and the premium fuel part, but if the sc is the only thing I want to do to the engine I'll be alright, right? No other complications?

Not really any more complications, but with that kind of milage, (if the compression checks out OK), I would definitely put in a new 3 core brass radiator from a 94, a new fan fluid coupling, new thermostat, and flush the cooling system really well and refill with toyota red and distilled water. It does not take much for you to overheat with a S/C if the cooling system is not 100%.
I am not giving this advise lightly, I am begining to think that replacing these parts prior to, or along with a S/C install is a must.
Cheers,
Sean

You know what, I am a simple guy in a simple life. At first I wanted to put the sc on the truck, but with all this info I'm getting I'm starting to think I don't want to do this. From putting in 3 new core brass radiator's to the new thermostat, this sounds like it is going to cost me a lot more money and time, in which I don't have. So having to say that I'm more than likely not going to go through with the project.

Sammy, just trying to make you aware of some of the pitfalls. I think many have not changed out the cooling system and had no problems. My cooling system shortfall first showed up while pulling a 3500lb boat up a 5000' hill in 100 degree heat. Now with the new parts I cannot get the needle to budge no matter how hard I drive the engine. It is possible this lack of proper cooling prior to the new parts compromized my head gasket. There are slight signs that it has leaked a little. The price of all the new parts is about $400 - $500 I think.
Cheers,
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom