Supercharger, bigger injectors and Unichip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, have any of you tried changing the injectors on your 1FZ-FE?

The thing is that I have a FZJ80 with a TRD S/C in South America. When I drive at approximately 2625 ft of altitude, the engine doesn't get overheat but when I go at 650 ft of altitude or less the engine temperature almost goes to red (In fact, it did once and a friend told me that I probably should change the radiator).

I went to a Unichip Dealer and the told that the make mod's to the engine to get colder air by adding a 7th injector to the 90 degrees elbow that goes after the S/C and then they ad the Unichip.

They also told me that I should ad a radiator to the Transmission (I'm not convinced)

I wouldn't like to ad a 7th injector but I like the idea of putting the Unichip or other Piggyback system (Don't know witch one besides Unichip) and 6 bigger injectors, but don't know which ones

Need some help with this. I don't know what to do

Maybe the Unichip by it self it's enought?

Thanks

Fuel delivery has nothing to do with a S/C'd 80 over heating. You need to PM your cooling system.

And yes, you SHOULD add a cooler to your transmission (if automatic).

Fuel delivery has nothing to do with a S/C'd 80 over heating. You need to PM your cooling system.

And yes, you SHOULD add a cooler to your transmission (if automatic).

My cooling systems is up to date, I just drained and change all the coolant 2 weeks ago. The LC has 55.000 km (34.175 mi) so it's almost new and I doubt that the cooling systems should have something wrong tough it could be possible... But my overheating occurs depending on the altitude, so I guess that the problem isn't the cooling system. I was thinking more on the timing of the distributor because a friend change it and putted on 7 before I got the S/C and never changed it back (I hope that I was specific enough on the distributor thing because I don't know any other way to explain it jejeje)

What about the transmission cooler? Could you be more specific on why I SHOULD ad one. So far I haven't experienced any trouble with it, not even the Transmission Temperature Light on the cluster

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Are you sure your cruiser doesn't have a transmision intercooler? Our US spec ones do. Check for a smaller radiator in front of your engine radiator on the lower right (when looking at the front). If you trace the lines from that you will find it goes to the transmission.

Are you sure your cruiser doesn't have a transmision intercooler? Our US spec ones do. Check for a smaller radiator in front of your engine radiator on the lower right (when looking at the front). If you trace the lines from that you will find it goes to the transmission.

Yeap, is does have it, that's why I don't understand why I should put another one, I'm guessing that it's because the original it's not enough

Make sure your Unichip dealer has actually installed one on your specific engine. My 3FE just spent 3 months at a very experienced Unichip installer's shop. At one point they were working on a daily basis with the head guy at Unichip and sending scope files back to him. In the end they finally gave up. They could not get the Unichip to correctly understand the ignition signal. Hopefully Unichip does a better job with 1FZs than they do with 3FEs...

Didn't realize it was a 2007 cruiser, nor did I know how few miles were on it. I don't know what the factory base timing is on a 1FZ, but 7* advance doesn't seem like too much. Are you running 91+ octane? Is anything non-factory about your cruiser? TRD s/c I'm assuming.

Didn't realize it was a 2007 cruiser, nor did I know how few miles were on it. I don't know what the factory base timing is on a 1FZ, but 7* advance doesn't seem like too much. Are you running 91+ octane? Is anything non-factory about your cruiser? TRD s/c I'm assuming.

I was going to say, S.A. 2007 model. Not sure what we are dealing with here.

I wonder if he has any smog equipment.....we should assume direct ignition (coil packs), and I think they use a wasted spark (batch firing) setup. Are you getting any pinging/spark knock?

I wonder if he has any smog equipment.....we should assume direct ignition (coil packs), and I think they use a wasted spark (batch firing) setup. Are you getting any pinging/spark knock?

EVO - can you post some more specs on your truck?

Only reason for over heating I can think of is spark knock/over advance. If he's running regular, with advanced timing, on a wasted spark setup...I could see over heating. Premium with ~stock timing, seems something somewhere is awry.

A few thoughts on this...

1st. I've got a unused Unichip tuned for 0ft to 3000ft altitude, which I won't ever use, for sale if anyone is interested in it.

2nd. I think upgrading the usual transmission cooler is important; my Safari system has a huge transmission cooler to remove the heat that comes from the tranny.

3rd. In my opinion the right way to cool the intake is to add an intercooler, not adding another injector. The additional injector surely helps some but it also makes a rich running rig that much richer which is wasteful.

4th. If you are overheating as you climb to altitude that sort of shows the tranny's contribution along with all the additional load to the engine. If you are overheating after reaching altitude that shows something else. Can you verify if this is happening as you climb or whenever you are at altitude?

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Okay, I'm not super smart at this stuff, but could it be air trapped in the coolant system and the elevation change causing some pressure changes not allowing adequate coolant circulation. You did mention you change the coolant not too long ago-- just my lame thoughts

Make sure your Unichip dealer has actually installed one on your specific engine. My 3FE just spent 3 months at a very experienced Unichip installer's shop. At one point they were working on a daily basis with the head guy at Unichip and sending scope files back to him. In the end they finally gave up. They could not get the Unichip to correctly understand the ignition signal. Hopefully Unichip does a better job with 1FZs than they do with 3FEs...

The Unichip dealer told me that the new model is Universal and it does work on any car. Besides they told that they have done that complete work more than a 100 times :confused:

The FZJ80 where assembled in Venezuela for Colombia and Venezuela until February 2007

Mine has the S/C, Safari Snorkel, K&N air filter and the Borla cat back

Currently I'm running NGK Iridium spark plugs with 95 octanes (Since the S/C) and I'm waiting for Landtank's MAF housing

Currently in Venezuela we are having temperatures near 97*F almost all over the country

Last edited:
A few thoughts on this...

1st. I've got a unused Unichip tuned for 0ft to 3000ft altitude, which I won't ever use, for sale if anyone is interested in it.

2nd. I think upgrading the usual transmission cooler is important; my Safari system has a huge transmission cooler to remove the heat that comes from the tranny.

3rd. In my opinion the right way to cool the intake is to add an intercooler, not adding another injector. The additional injector surely helps some but it also makes a rich running rig that much richer which is wasteful.

4th. If you are overheating as you climb to altitude that sort of shows the tranny's contribution along with all the additional load to the engine. If you are overheating after reaching altitude that shows something else. Can you verify if this is happening as you climb or whenever you are at altitude?

Hope that helps. :cheers:

The overheating occurs at lower altitudes, at bigger altitudes the temperature stays normal

The people at the Unichip dealer are telling me to take out the catalytic converters to gain like 10hp more (Yes guys, this is not the 3rd world, it's like the 8th) and put cooler spark plugs (They told me something like Corolla's new generation, but I don't know...)

The Unichip dealer told me that the new model is Universal and it does work on any car. Besides they told that they have done that complete work more than a 100 times :confused:

Sure, it's universal but it has to be wired specifically for each engine/OEM ECU and then once it is wired it needs to be programmed for that vehicle's parameters. Typically they supply a base map or program. And once that is running you can actually tune. Whether or not they've done 100 vehicles isn't the point, just make sure that they've done one of what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom