Supercharged 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 - question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned 3 FJ-80's - I am working on a 1993 with 35k miles that has been stored for 15 years - and one 1999 UZJ100, which I still own, bought new and runs tip top. So I have some LC experience......but
I am watch BaT and see a 2004 UZJ100 that has a TRD "supercharger". I did not know these existed.
Question: Does anybody have experience with this set up? I am currently the high bidder, and expect it will sell for more than the $20k I have bid. I need to replace an audi wagon I keep in FLA and I think this could be a good candidate, but wanted to ask if anybody had experience with at TRD "blower" strapped on to a UZJ100 before I buy one.
Sorry for the rookie question, but appreciate any insights.
Thanks

I have owned 3 FJ-80's - I am working on a 1993 with 35k miles that has been stored for 15 years - and one 1999 UZJ100, which I still own, bought new and runs tip top. So I have some LC experience......but
I am watch BaT and see a 2004 UZJ100 that has a TRD "supercharger". I did not know these existed.
Question: Does anybody have experience with this set up? I am currently the high bidder, and expect it will sell for more than the $20k I have bid. I need to replace an audi wagon I keep in FLA and I think this could be a good candidate, but wanted to ask if anybody had experience with at TRD "blower" strapped on to a UZJ100 before I buy one.
Sorry for the rookie question, but appreciate any insights.
Thanks
Probably more reliable than the Audi wagon fwiw...

Lots of threads - search "supercharger", titles only, 100 section only.

1623331985333.png

Prepare to throw $25K plus on this one - clean, largely unmolested 100 seems to fetch a lot on these auction sites!

Prepare to throw $25K plus on this one - clean, largely unmolested 100 seems to fetch a lot on these auction sites!
agree that its not going to sell at $20 - I have a stash set aside, and more worried about the reliability than the price, meaning I can spend up front, but don't want mechanical overhangs. It would sit in a garage in Fla for 9 months of the year, and I am driven by reliability vs performance. So I may be talking my self out of this one....if I wanted performance I would not e buying a LC. I have owned my 99 since new and except for the line that feeds the 3rd row AC it's has been flawless....oil every 5k, tires and brakes, and one license plate light bulb - ha. I was thinking of taking the 99 to Fla, but there is a fair amount of salt fatigue...... on components like suspension parts and brake lines, a byproduct of living in New England.

IMG_8806 (002).jpg

IMHO, you can find a lot better deal here at MUD or your local classifieds. I like where your head at regarding the reliability. I have learned that a well maintained cruiser from a milder climate is worth paying a lot more for than a shiny one with not much maintenance history!

What do you plan to do with this cruiser for the three months you are in Florida? Might be able to get another newer Toyota for less money that doesn't come with the Land Cruiser premium price?

IMHO, you can find a lot better deal here at MUD or your local classifieds. I like where your head at regarding the reliability. I have learned that a well maintained cruiser from a milder climate is worth paying a lot more for than a shiny one with not much maintenance history!
yes good point..........I ended up bailing on the bidding when it got to the mid 30's.....the problem at my end is most of the "local LC" have a fair amount of rust----due to road salt, so I think finding something adv locally in the carolina - or atlanta could be more realistic and a better value

Probably more reliable than the Audi wagon fwiw...
by far!

What do you plan to do with this cruiser for the three months you are in Florida? Might be able to get another newer Toyota for less money that doesn't come with the Land Cruiser premium price?
yes --- seems a bit like overkill, but I really like my 99 that lives in new england and like that capacity of the 3rd row and crazy as it sounds the third row AC. We have an 80 pound lab and he boils in the 4runner. Most of the time he is fine with the tailgate window down for ventlation, but the ac really goes not cool the "way back" in the 4 runner. The months we are in Fla it does not get super humid, but when it does its a nice to have .........sounds like I am making up reasons to have a LC in Fla (vs the station wagon) - guilty as charged!

Sorry but that $40,000 for that is a huge waste of money. And I LOVE the 100 series!
But the reality is you are paying a lot of money for an old car. Just because it’s low mileage doesn’t mean you won’t have any maintenance.
Also, it’s had three owners! While that might not be a big deal to some, it should be on a car like this. You are paying a super premium for that rig to some schmuck who doesn’t really know this rig, doesn’t have any history with it really and just got lucky and found one for a good deal and is wants to make some huge profit.
Just remember, when you buy from a “reseller” they don’t have any long term interest in that car. They shine it up and take care of some of the things people know to check for like the timing belt and brake pads.
For reference the PO of my LX took amazing care of it to the tune of $27,000 spent over the time he owned it. Even with all that I’m about $3,000 into it with other items that it needed.

yes --- seems a bit like overkill, but I really like my 99 that lives in new england and like that capacity of the 3rd row and crazy as it sounds the third row AC. We have an 80 pound lab and he boils in the 4runner. Most of the time he is fine with the tailgate window down for ventlation, but the ac really goes not cool the "way back" in the 4 runner. The months we are in Fla it does not get super humid, but when it does its a nice to have .........sounds like I am making up reasons to have a LC in Fla (vs the station wagon) - guilty as charged!
There is nothing wrong with making up reasons to get a land cruiser!! It’s just that there is such a stupid premium on them right now with all the resellers out there that I would have a hard time paying so much for a car I rarely drive.

There is nothing wrong with making up reasons to get a land cruiser!! It’s just that there is such a stupid premium on them right now with all the resellers out there that I would have a hard time paying so much for a car I rarely drive.
yes its a good point...... the truth is I just want another LC so I can dump the audi wagon that sits in the garage in FLA. The Audi a6 wagon it a blast to drive, but its probably going to melt down and I need something reliable that I can turn the key and know it will get me places and back with the dog. I drive about 2000 miles a year in FLA, so I know if I find a gem it will last forever. I have been spoiled by the 99 that I bought new - it simply never breaks. I don't think I drove it 5 times the first 10 years---- it was the family hauler, and when the kids left for school it sat in a garage for years as a spare vehicle. I am not exagerating....I have replaced nothing --- brakes/ tires, wipers and of course iol once a year or every 3k. about 3 years ago I started driving it on weekends when I was at the summer house and it's now 22 years old ........... as we are seeing they hold their value, so when it time to sell it should be worth something....anyway, I bailed o nthe BaT auction when it got to the mid 30's

Unf, love that blue 🤩
it looks good with the "black out " package --- I think the dealer charged me 300+ at the time.........they also stuffed the wind deflector package on it----------that was off before I left the lot. Those have been in the basement for 22 years

Sorry but that $40,000 for that is a huge waste of money. And I LOVE the 100 series!
But the reality is you are paying a lot of money for an old car. Just because it’s low mileage doesn’t mean you won’t have any maintenance.
Also, it’s had three owners! While that might not be a big deal to some, it should be on a car like this. You are paying a super premium for that rig to some schmuck who doesn’t really know this rig, doesn’t have any history with it really and just got lucky and found one for a good deal and is wants to make some huge profit.
Just remember, when you buy from a “reseller” they don’t have any long term interest in that car. They shine it up and take care of some of the things people know to check for like the timing belt and brake pads.
For reference the PO of my LX took amazing care of it to the tune of $27,000 spent over the time he owned it. Even with all that I’m about $3,000 into it with other items that it needed.
yes good point------- in fact that is why I bailed on the one that just sold for $40. I have had great luck with a non-supercharged v8 LC. My gut told me that your points about several owners (with a reseller in the middle) of a LC and the added complexity of a supercharged and stress on the mechanicals just made me unconfortable on the "reliability" question. The last thing I need is a trip to the dealer in Fla...can you imagine the dialog when they pop the hood and see a TRD supercharger??? Check engine light comes on---------sorry we can't fix your Toyota??? We have never seen a superchrger on a LC, we cant get parts...... I followed some of the Supercharger threads that another member pointed me at and it was really clear that these are unicorns, and that nobody knows how to work on them, and parts are not available. So I talked myself out of it. So the quest continues.......I would like to figure this out by thanksgiving. Thanks for the thoughtful comments

yes its a good point...... the truth is I just want another LC so I can dump the audi wagon that sits in the garage in FLA. The Audi a6 wagon it a blast to drive, but its probably going to melt down and I need something reliable that I can turn the key and know it will get me places and back with the dog. I drive about 2000 miles a year in FLA, so I know if I find a gem it will last forever. I have been spoiled by the 99 that I bought new - it simply never breaks. I don't think I drove it 5 times the first 10 years---- it was the family hauler, and when the kids left for school it sat in a garage for years as a spare vehicle. I am not exagerating....I have replaced nothing --- brakes/ tires, wipers and of course iol once a year or every 3k. about 3 years ago I started driving it on weekends when I was at the summer house and it's now 22 years old ........... as we are seeing they hold their value, so when it time to sell it should be worth something....anyway, I bailed o nthe BaT auction when it got to the mid 30's

it looks good with the "black out " package --- I think the dealer charged me 300+ at the time.........they also stuffed the wind deflector package on it----------that was off before I left the lot. Those have been in the basement for 22 years

yes good point------- in fact that is why I bailed on the one that just sold for $40. I have had great luck with a non-supercharged v8 LC. My gut told me that your points about several owners (with a reseller in the middle) of a LC and the added complexity of a supercharged and stress on the mechanicals just made me unconfortable on the "reliability" question. The last thing I need is a trip to the dealer in Fla...can you imagine the dialog when they pop the hood and see a TRD supercharger??? Check engine light comes on---------sorry we can't fix your Toyota??? We have never seen a superchrger on a LC, we cant get parts...... I followed some of the Supercharger threads that another member pointed me at and it was really clear that these are unicorns, and that nobody knows how to work on them, and parts are not available. So I talked myself out of it. So the quest continues.......I would like to figure this out by thanksgiving. Thanks for the thoughtful comments

It's truly no less reliable with a supercharger - I had to take mine to a dealership; they had no issues hooking it up to their system and working on it.......even sourced the correct belt with no issue.

Last edited:
I think everyone wants to know how many miles you have on that blue cruiser. What a great color.

I installed a used(came off my 98 LC with around 200K) TRD supercharger on my LX470 at 200K. Currently has 237K. So far I’ve done supercharger oil changes and rebuilt the snout due to bearing noise/leaking snout seal. The powder coat is showing some age so I may look into getting it recoated. So far just normal wear/maintenance items.

Dang! 40K? I might have revisit selling mine lol. BaT here I come!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom