Super Wal-Mart...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by FLFJ40, Aug 15, 2005.

1. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

Do you have them in your area? Do you love them or hate them or don't care?

I don't really care one way or the other.

2. firetruck41

firetruck41

I won't shop wal-mart. :D

3. firetruck41

firetruck41

I don't agree with the way they treat their employees/suppliers, mostly, also don't think it is very good for small communities. It's a free country, so long as they don't break the law they can do their thing, and I can refuse to shop there :)

4. TheGr8Doughboy

TheGr8Doughboy

I agree with firetruck. They are running small businesses out of smaller areas and shifting the responcibility from the buyer to the store. If you buy the wrong thing at walmart you return it opened or not and they take it back... then even if there's nothing wrong with it they ship it back to the manufacture at the manufacture's cost. Every year they are approching their suppliers and telling them that they will continue to buy their product but this year they are buying the same amount for say 5% less. So then the manufacture has to cut cost all the way down the line leading to layoffs in factories etc.

Granted there are other forces at play in there... Walmart is the root of all evils in American society! :semi-serious:

Chris

5. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    I could be WAY off here, but I don't think so....

Seems to me that Walmart did a LOT of economic damage to the U.S.

The reason I figure it that way....kind of the jealousy in me that I wasn't born in the 30's and in my 20's during the middle of the century. I have yet to meet and chat with folks in their 70's or older who lived during a time of what was seemingly economically simple, and a joy to talk to none-the-less. I admit I have a sincere amount of respect and almost an addiction to elderly folks and their lives stories.

I think Walmart will be looked back upon and seen as something that did just as much bad as good. Sure, we LOVE lower prices. Sure we LOVE a one stop 24 hour shop.

But you know what? Walmart [IMOP] doesn't do s*** for our community here. Sure, they'll cut a check to a High School once in a while for $500. What the hell is that?

My biggest issue is that being a Small Business Owner, I do not agree that large corporations are the answer to our economic problems. Look at the Unionized bullshit our country deals with. Look at how much has CHANGED because of large corps. (not just Walmart either....). Look at Health Care issues, look at the stock market changes that erupted post Walmart. What the hell happened to the product making money instead of the store pushing the product making all the money? Coca-Cola produced millionaires a thousand times over and didn't destroy the small business structure in this country.

I LOVE small hardware stores. Unfortunately now I have to drive 20 to 30 minutes to find one. I can hit THREE Home Depots in that time!!!!

Our Economic situation is FAR more alarming in that light that many things I can think of.

Another group of corps. I really wish would go away: Walgreens and CVS Pharmacy. Pharmacists used to be able to operate a functional self owned pharmacy and earn a good living and give back to their communities on a first name basis. Unfortunately they're being run out of business and the large Co's that fill their shoes.....well, good luck even getting the GM on the phone.

Sorry.

But you asked.

6. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:

I for one would be enlightened to hear of them.

And regardless, it's not the employees that raise the highest concern.

7. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I disagree with their shift from American products for Chinese.

8. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Big selection of cheap Chinese crap. Prices are good. Don't expect high end stuff. Everyone loves to hate them but everyone goes there. Personally, I think it sucks and avoid it at all costs.

9. brian

brian SILVER Star

yeah you go to wally fart and just TRY and buy a handful of M4X10 SHCS's.....in SS...good luck there buddy. yet they ran my local hardware out of business, that would be the one in the 70yr old brick building, you know the one with the creeky wooden floor, yeah that would be the one, the one that's now just an empty shell of it's former self and likly to be torn down. they had every and any thing, might be covered in an inch of dust but they had it.

how lazy of a slob are you that you need to go to one place to get your eyes checked, pick up you preX meds, ammo for the guns, groceries, stop at junkie D's for a soy burger and i'm sure i'm missing something, it's been while since i was there. i'm trying my hardest to avoid the dump, but it's hard. there are 3(three) of them with in 30 minutes of me, and they're trying hard to add a 4th, i kid you not.

i see no use for them. the closest one has a huge americian flag painted on a wall with" bring it home to the u.s.a writen either on it or right under it yet EVERYTHING in the area(bathwares) has a "made in china" sticker or tag, ok what the #uck ever.

cheap isn't always the best answer. i'm quite happy to give sombody else my money, even if i pay more, which i always do, none of the other places can match them.

thanks for elevating my blood pressure :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. AlaskanWheeler

AlaskanWheeler SILVER Star

I also avoid them at all costs; I try to support the local economy. I don't mean to be rude but the people that work at larger stores seem to lack any knowledge about the product they sell. There are exceptions but most of the employees are very incompotent. The smaller stores seem to be very knowledgable about what they sell and if they don't have it or can't seem to find it right away, they allways seem to take the extra steps to find it. example: I went to find a new blower motor and wanted something bigger and more powerful the guys at schucks had no idea how to find it, I went down to the Napa store, where you know half the people by there first name, they were able to find the proper motor for what I wanted.

11. iowaguy

iowaguy

i too try to avoid shopping wal mart, along with any other chain store. whether it be a barber shop or food service, etc., etc.. chain stores (no matter what name) dissolve or dilute any/all mom and pop establishments. when all the mom/pops are gone.......so wll be those rolled back prices.

12. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
  13. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Oh cool. So they finally found a Chinese supplier who could provide the product cheap enough to create a margin that met Walmart standards. I better hurry and go buy some.

14. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Cause Wal-Mart then takes an additional 2% loss on the item in order to shut down it's competition. They have been investigated and fined for predatory pricing in the past in several states and foreign countries, and continue to do it.

Then when you take into effect the economic principle known as "the Law of Diminishing Returns," what eventually happens is that it no longer becomes profitable for the producer to continue expansion. But by then, all other customers of theirs have stopped ordering from them since they cannot compete with the deal Wal-Mart gets. So the compnay is left with a several choices-- layoff and go back to the size it was, sell to Wal-Mart even when the laws of economics say they shouldn't, or tell Wal-Mart they will not settle for their prices, and wait for Wal Mart to find another supplier.

Also another economic rule that states, generally speaking, lack of competition is bad for the consumer. I'm the consumer, and I don't want things that are bad for me. This is the reason that Monopiloes in this country are regulated. Wal-Mart is attempting not to become a monopoly, but an oligopoly, a de facto monopoly created when nobody can afford to compete in the market. Oligopolies are usually dominated by several large competing firms. Their success hinges on the fact nobody can afford to enter the market. Oligopolies operate more under what is called "perfect competition....

Wait, never mind. Just do a google search on oligopolies and "game theory" and get to reading. People write whole books on this s***. I don't have the time. :cheers:

Steve

15. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I stay away unless I'm in a bind.

But I and my wife do buy stuff from Target!

(ducking)

I worked a large textile plant fire that supplied Walmart. One of the few that hasn't shut down yet. Looked like a sweatshop from the 20s, and they were scared to death that Walmart would catch wind of the fire and cancel all orders.....

These Americans made socks. And from what I understand, they had a finger in all aspects of production, and even made deals for the suppliers. They really had this co by the balls in a big way.

I also work for a lady whose husband worked for co that made gift baskets for Walmart. They had to shut down and cut off all other customers to keep up with Walmart's demand (which was good for a year)....after they gave up their customers, Walmart started importing Chinese baskets to save 2% per unit....and the entire plant had to be shut down.

As soon as they are able to make something Walmart wants, the Chinese do in short order and another US plant closes.

I like capitolism, but I don't think the Chinese are playing fair and don't have to work under the same laws and envirnmental/labor conditions we do.

All of our wonderful laws are cutting our own throats, slowly, but deeply.

I have no answer.

16. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:

Why the hell does it feel like you're pushing Walmart s*** on us?

Stop. It definitely WON'T work.

If we were Walmart-esque we'd drive Jeeps.

17. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Chinese Jeeps. ;)

18. TheGr8Doughboy

TheGr8Doughboy

72FJ40- One of our customers at my old bicycle shops made garage openers and that was how he said it worked with them. He thought he'd made it when he had a contract with them but got screwed... He said that 70% of the returned product functioned flawlessly...

Could have been rantings but I had a lot of respect for this guy... I donno...

19. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

psst. ask him who he works for.

Steve

20. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:

Dude.....let me pop your virgin Walmart Cherry......

I know SEVERAL. i.e. Dozens of people who buy storm preparation stuff from walmart. You name it, Grills, Lights, Batteries, FOOD [bread, etc] Generators, electronics for generators [video games to a TV], etc....and ON and ON.

From FIRST Hand experience and JUST in my group of friends I know DOZENS of people who can BUY from Walmart, use the s*** for a week or more, even MONTHS and take it back effortlessly and get a refund.

How in the world is that good for anyone BUT Walmart who simply sends it back to the poor dumbass that tried to do GOOD business with them?

And the China thing is all too true. They're SCREWING it all up.

I really don't have anything good to say. :cheers:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.