Super Swamper 34x9.50-15 w/OME Lift: Looking for Feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shadowlightpsych.com
Worked out most of the bugs. Time for the lift. Plan was to go OME from Kurt with a set of 33x10.5 -15 Km2's that I just picked up cheap. Then I ran across this: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-fj60-rebuild.553468/

Really dig the tall skinnys.

I used search and read reviews. Even though the author of the thread I cited ^ downplayed any problems, if I went with the Swampers I anticipate road handling issues, noise, power loss/need to regear, poor performance in rain & snow, etc... Maybe I'm kidding myself but I think I could deal with all of that. It's the clearance issues and manners off road that I'm mostly concerned about. Can anyone give me firsthand feedback on what I could expect if I went with this set up?

I use the truck as a DD. A work truck that includes off roading. The adventure wagon for the adolescents I work with. I want to keep it a little modest. Not trying to do SOA right now. But I am trying to set it up so the 60 will at least be capable of moving through similar terrain I've traveled with my 80. Visual aids:
.....................................................................................
P1330126.JPG

16143-1311723100-c4a40009643ac36ee0c3ed7afc08bf84.jpg

View attachment 934734

Last edited:
Super Swampers will wear quickly (maybe get 20,000 miles out of them) especially an LTB or a narrow like in that link but they work great in ice and snow. The rig will feel a bit looser around turns but you will get use to it. What I always tell people is buy or borrow another set of rims and keep your old tires and wheels just in case. I love tall and skinny Swampers but I don't run them on the road daily because of how quickly they wear.

Sounds like you've run a set Falco? What lift? Did you use it off road? How did it perform?

A buddy of mine runs TSL Q78 size on his 80 series with stock wheels. They are a little over 35" tall. I will find put what size lift he has.

I dd a 40 not a 60 so take this with a grain of salt...but driving on Dean mt 33 x 9.5 in the rain can get pretty sketchy. There is so little tread on a 9.5 width mud tire. I could only assume that the extra weight of the 60 would add to the demands of what little tread there is in daily driver situations. Plus, I remember driving my dad's 60 back in the day on stock tires and trying to catch that thing when the tail broke loose--I'd have to give the nod to the 10.5 km2s for dd duty. Whichever tire you choose, just give yourself time to acclimate from the modern, safe handling characteristics of the 80 with it's big, wide contact patches to the prehistoric handling dynamics of 40/60s. Good luck and have fun!

IMO (and what I plan to do)

Sell the BFG's, get a set of normal street tires on stock rims for street use only, like 31x10.5, then go with swampers for off-road, and you can go nuts on that combo, 34x9.5 on bead locks would be rad!

...I remember driving my dad's 60 back in the day on stock tires and trying to catch that thing when the tail broke loose-- ...Whichever tire you choose, just give yourself time to acclimate from the modern, safe handling characteristics of the 80 with it's big, wide contact patches to the prehistoric handling dynamics of 40/60s. Good luck and have fun!

I drove this my jr and sr year in High School:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1409195337.940297.jpg

1952 Chev Suburban. "The Beastie". 6.50-16 bias ply tires. Manual steering. Manual drum brakes that you had to pump a few times to get them to work right. ...Cruising 65 mph down the freeway. Steering/suspension so loose you hit a bump and it would change lanes. Buddies sitting on bean bags in the back. No seat belts... It's a wonder we all survived. I remember getting sideways more than once in the snow. Fortunately no one ever got hurt, and the beast taught me to be one hell of an attentive driver. I think I'd be able to handle the 9.5s. I'm not stoked about the 20k mile life expectancy. And still concerned about clearance/performance issues with the OME. Hoping someone with personal experience with this set up will chime in here.

Last edited:
My buddy had 34x10.50 swampers on his 60 with an add-a-leaf lift and nothing else. He may have rubbed a little bit but nothing crazy.

I had them on a cherokee and quickly decided they weren't for me. Heavy, loud, and I constantly had death wobble (not the tires fault, I know, but I never had it with mud terrains and the same suspension). They were badass off road though. I second what others have suggested with get a set, but don't get rid of your street tires.

I drove this my jr and sr year in High School:

View attachment 935042

1952 Chev Suburban. "The Beastie". 6.50-16 bias ply tires. Manual steering. Manual drum brakes that you had to pump a few times to get them to work right. ...Cruising 65 mph down the freeway. Buddies sitting on bean bags in the back. No seat belts... It's a wonder we all survived. I remember getting sideways more than once in the snow. Fortunately no one ever got hurt, and the beast taught me to be one hell of an attentive driver. I think I'd be able to handle the 9.5s. I'm not stoked about the 20k mile life expectancy. And still concerned about clearance/performance issues with the OME. Hoping someone with personal experience with this set up will chime in here.

AWESOME!

Man, I had this set up. 34x10.50s though. Swampers. It was awful. They are so heavy they make the cruiser a bigger dog than it already is. They wear like crap and handle like a horse drawn carriage. I put BFG ats on 33x10.50 after that and I would have thought I got a brand new car the difference was that noticeable. No rubbing at all with the 34s, I have an OME heavy/heavy lift. I'll just never run those tires again. They looked really cool, but not worth it. I'm going with KM2s here in about a month. If money where no object I would have my rims widened by stockton and run some 35x12.5 Km2s and really fill out the wheel well, since 35 KM2s measure at 34 anyway.

If you really want to go this route, go 16's instead of 15's. Will handle better on road and off-road.

If you really want to go this route, go 16's instead of 15's. Will handle better on road and off-road.

20k, 10k, 5k mile life expectancy? really?
I'm not trying to spend over $1000 on a set of tires that won't even last a year.
They must be made of butter.

I run LT285/70R17/D KM2 (11.5 x 33) on my 60 and I can't imagine going any skinnier. Based on the pics in your 1st post, I'd be terrified to try that on a 10.5" wide tire.

I run LT285/70R17/D KM2 (11.5 x 33) on my 60 and I can't imagine going any skinnier. Based on the pics in your 1st post, I'd be terrified to try that on a 10.5" wide tire.

Terrified? Of what? Breaking a bead?

Last edited:
I ran 33/12.50 bias ply swampers for a while. They are still sitting in my shop after I took them off. Too heavy! Went to 33/ 10.50 bfg all terrains, and the truck just works better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom