sunroof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sense I've had my LC, I've had an air leak in the sunroof.
I'm getting a little sick of hitting both buttons trying to get it to sit right. When I get it so there is no whistle, I look at the
sun roof from outside the truck and it dosent look square to the roof.
Is there an adjustment somewhere around the roof to make it stop whistling? Do I need to greese?
I need to clean the felt around the sunroof itself
I know that. :cheers:- It's friday nite!!!

Interested in the answer to this myself. So far I just apply a little pressure upward with one hand while it slides closed, usually seals up without any whistle when I do it that way. If I don't do that I get a whistle about half the time. Hadn't really though about "fixing" it before :-[

Pat and Ben....

You guys might wanna see if you can put your hands on some of this stuff.
shin-etsu.jpg

I get it from my local Honda dealer. Only bad thing is it's about 16 bucks a tube. :eek: It looks like a toothpaste tube. Good thing for Ben is that I'm about 20 miles away....... and I've got a tube. :flipoff2:

This stuff is basically silicone paste. It has a bit more "staying power" ;) than silicone spray. If you clean the rubber real well, then apply this stuff a couple times, the seals should seem like new! (Cept maybe for you Ben :D)

Mine does it too. I just raise the roof up a tad but then the open sunfoof alarm goes off when I turn the key off.

Shortbus, will that stuff work with my inflatable girlfriend???

PM'ed you Brad :p

LandToy80,

Not as well as this stuff....
astroglide.jpg
:-* :D ;)

But, the Shin-Etsu will work damn nice on the sunroof rubbers. :beer:

Thanks Shortbus. Next question...
What did you clean the rubber with before applying the silicone?

PDoyle...

Here are my usual suspects for rubber renewal.
PB150033-vi.jpg

LEFT> Castrol SuperClean. I only use this on stuff that's really dirty, because it's NASTY strong stuff. Make sure not to ever get it on aluminum, as it will etch it heavily. It works great in engine compartments etc, but not on the aluminum stuff. It'll turn it white. If you do get it on anything aluminun, you can treat the area with WD-40 which seems to restore the color of the aluminum in some way. I'm at the bottom of the Chem smart foodchain, so I can't tell ya why. Maybe some of the folks with "book learnin'" could advs. Must be a chem reaction of sorts. Oxidation?? Anyway, back to this stuff. If you have any greasy areas etc, use this sparingly, works great.

MIDDLE> S100 Total cycle cleaner. You can find this stuff online at some of the chem/detail supply places, just do a Google search. If not, try your local Harley shop. Mine carries it in the chem section. Expensive, but works great on rubber. This is the stuff that I like to use before the Shin-Etsu. If you go around your cruiser and do ALL the rubber with this stuff and follow up with the Shin-Etsu stuff, you won't believe how new all the rubber seems. This stuff is similar to Simple Green, which could be substituted I suppose. I just like this alot better for rubber.

RIGHT> Shin-Etsu (silicone paste). As mentioned before, I get this from Honda. I think that tube was just under 16 bucks. It's similar in consistency to Crisco. (Probably not a good substitute ;)) It works best if you put it on a clean cotton rag and rub it into the rubber. Go over everything twice, but make sure to work it into the rubber surface as much as possible. In a pinch you can get Silicone Spray in a can and put this on a rag. That is a temporary fix. It doesn't have near the staying power of the paste stuff. Don't know why,,,, just is that way. ???

If you take an hour or so and do the whole truck, you'll be happy with the results. And, the rubbers will last much longer as they won't dry/crack/etc.. :beer:

hmmm, I wonder if Vasoline would work... :eek:

Applying the rubber sealant makes sense due to age. However, isn't there a need for a mechanical adjustment to make a better seal? ???

I've had a couple e-mails n IM's from forumfolk trying to find the Shin-Etsu (Silicone grease). It "helps" the sunroof seal, but probably won't cure the wind leak. It will renew all the rubber on the door seals, which will effectively turn your cruiser into a boat if you try any deep water. It removed all wind noise from the doors on mine. I wish I could get a new gasket for the sunroof, but evidently you've gotta buy the whole thing, glass and all.

Anyways.... just in case any of you out there actually wanted to track the stuff down, here's a chunk of one of my e-mail replys about finding Shin-Etsu silicone grease.

**Quote**
Here's a link to the dealership where I get the Shin-Etsu silicone grease.....

http://www.stjohnshonda.com/

The only bad thing is that my parts guy isn't at St John's anymore, and the remaining parts staff are all just oxygen theves. They'd probably give you the same blank stare that you got from the guys at your Honda parts counter. This stuff is manufactured for Honda by "Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd." in Tokyo. It's actually in a Shin-Etsu tube, with a cheesy white sticker over the label that carries a Honda part number. That's the good part! The Honda number is 08798-9013. It may come up in their computer as "grease" or "silicone grease". I'm sure that once your parts guys put their hands on a tube of it, they'll say "OH! That stuff!". I'd be surprised if every tech in the shop didn't have a tube of it. That's how I learned about it in the first place. All the Honda techs use it.

Give it a try with the part number at your stealership, and see if they've got the stuff in stock. If not, the mouth breathers at St Johns Honda MAY be able to help you. If neither works, E-Mail me again and I'll go get you a tube and mail it to you. No worries on that at all. The last tube cost me $15.58, but that was several years ago.

Now, as far as the process goes on rubber renewal. The sunroof seal on the cruiser is rubber with some sort of a felt insert in the middle. I've used the Shin-Etsu stuff on plenty of different cars, with great success. It worked as advertised on all the rubber on the Cruiser, cept for the sunroof seal. (Insert Junk's flipoff here). I believe the reason being that the felt is providing most of the wind sealing. So you can renew the rubber around it, but if the "thickness" of the felt material has degraded, you're still gonna have a leak. It improved the seal, but didn't make it air tight. The door rubbers are a different thing. The seal GREAT now, and almost give you a compression headache when you get in and shut the door behind you. Hell, I think the cruiser might float now. Maybe I'll get a chance to test if after the next wicked rain storm.

As far as pre-cleaning goes... if you can't put your hands on the S-100 cycle cleaner at your local Harley D dealer, just use simple green. It'll get the job done. I just like the S-100 a little better for cleaning rubber.
The S-100 is a little greasy, and it stinks, so you might like using Simple Green better anyways.

The other chem all the techs use is HondaBond HT Liquid gasket sealer. Amazing stuff. Put a thin coat of that on both sides of a gasket before assembly, wait 10 minutes to set up, assemble, and it'll NEVER leak. Any Honda parts place will know what that is, but if you ever decide you need it and can't find it locally, you can order it here>> http://www.ronayers.com/chemicals/ph_assrep.cfm This is a motorcycle shop near Greenville NC. One of my buddies is the sales mgr. Great folks.
***End Quote***

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=7564;start=msg63361#msg63361 date=1068874498]
Mine does it too. I just raise the roof up a tad but then the open sunroof alarm goes off when I turn the key off.
[/quote]

[glow=cyan,9,900] ??? ??? ???[/glow]

You have an alarm ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom