Sunroof wont open 99 Toyota land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my second post. I didn't really introduce myself in my first post so ill make this short. I'm from Tacoma Wa. I have a 99 Toyota land cruiser which belonged to my father. I kept it around because it reminds me alot of him. It's in excellent running condition from what I can tell, some minor issues and that's why I'm here asking and seeking help. So here goes.
One issue is the sunroof. It won't open. When pressing the slide button you hear a click or an attempt to work but nothing happens, no movement at all. The tilt button when pressed I get nothing no sound no click nothing.
I've checked the 40amp fuse and its good. Tracks look clean. I'll have to double check again but fairly clean.
My question is. 1) Should I replace the sunroof motor relay before tearing into the headliner and panel?
2) Where the heck is the relay for the sunroof motor. I have the fuses left side of foot pedals but I don't see fuse relay compartment the relay box under the hood from what I gathered aren't it. I also searched the relay location online and it says it's R10 inside left of foot pedals next to fuses. I don't see it.
Under the hood is a r10 relay in the compartment but that one belongs to something else ? Where is the relay for the sunroof motor EXACTLY?
99 Toyota land cruiser v8 4700

thanks
Noha

Mine has a similar problem, motor will run but it won't open. I wonder if there's an obstruction or sensor malfunction but I haven't really tested or looked into it. Watching this thread to see what solution you come up with.

Maybe I'm reading this all wrong forgive me if I am. But can someone tell me where I can find this in my 99 Toyota land cruiser. I'm looking for the R10 relay that supplies power to the sunroof motor.

Screenshot_20220712-214745.png

Screenshot_20220712-214836.png

The relays are on the back side of the fuse block.

I think it's very unlikely you have a relay or motor problem. Our sunroof drive cables can get seized into the guide tube fairly easily, the motor has a pinch protection feature that stops it when it gets stuck. That is ultimately good for us, as it prevents the motor and drive gears from being damaged. I had your same symptoms and it was the stuck cables. I'm sure you've seen my how-to. I'm in Federal Way if you get stuck and need some help.

I have your answer. Both my 00 cruiser and my 06 lx470.
Sunroofs leak, water gets into the cable guide tubes and they completely rust. The cables that run in the tubes. I live in the Seattle area also. Both of mine did the same. Turn your sunroof into a skylight.

Sunroofs leak, water gets into the cable guide tubes and they completely rust. The cables that run in the tubes. I live in the Seattle area also. Both of mine did the same. Turn your sunroof into a skylight.
You know what I usually keep my 99 in the garage. Last night it rained where I'm at and I took it out just to see if it leaked and I checked it this morning and sure enough there was a leak. Very small drip on the the right front right corner of the sunroof. I will try to some lubricant spray to see if that works. If that doesn't work then a skylight is fine with me. It's just to expensive of a fix at this moment. Salute to ya PNW partner.

An easy thing to do is remove the black interior plastic trim on the sunroof and then the four cadmium plated nuts holding the glass to the cables. You can then lift the glass straight up and out of the truck even though the cables are stuck. The front drains are likely clogged, you can then use string trimmer line or something to snake them so they'll drain properly. I did that a few times before I got around to replacing my cables.

I think it's very unlikely you have a relay or motor problem. Our sunroof drive cables can get seized into the guide tube fairly easily, the motor has a pinch protection feature that stops it when it gets stuck. That is ultimately good for us, as it prevents the motor and drive gears from being damaged. I had your same symptoms and it was the stuck cables. I'm sure you've seen my how-to. I'm in Federal Way if you get stuck and need some help.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try some wd40 and make sure the tracks are free of debris. I'll work on it this weekend. I'll keep ya posted . Thanks for the help. Salute to you PNW partner.
You know what I usually keep my 99 in the garage. Last night it rained where I'm at and I took it out just to see if it leaked and I checked it this morning and sure enough there was a leak. Very small drip on the the right front right corner of the sunroof. I will try to some lubricant spray to see if that works. If that doesn't work then a skylight is fine with me. It's just to expensive of a fix at this moment. Salute to ya PNW partner.
The relays are on the back side of the fuse block.

An easy thing to do is remove the black interior plastic trim on the sunroof and then the four cadmium plated nuts holding the glass to the cables. You can then lift the glass straight up and out of the truck even though the cables are stuck. The front drains are likely clogged, you can then use string trimmer line or something to snake them so they'll drain properly. I did that a few times before I got around to replacing my cables.
Great info. Thanks bud I sure will try it.

Same with my 2001 LC. Cables "rust-weld" to the cable guide tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom