Sunroof Wind Deflector rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not talking about the aftermarket plastic wind deflector/shield that sits on the roof, but the spring loaded metal shield that pops up when you open the sunroof.

Been noticing that when reaching speeds of around 35-40 mph, it begins to rattle. It seems as thought the spring might not be strong enough and allows the shield to begin to vibrate. I know it's supposed to move, but my gues is that a stronger spring would cut down on the up and down movement, kind of like a worn shock absorber vs. a new one.

Anyway, mentioned it to the dealer and they stated that it's a known issue with the Sequoias and Land Cruisers. Because of the large opening that exists when the sunroof is opened, it creates a lot of turbulence that causes the vibration. He went on to say that there wasn't really a known fix.

I'm out of the factory warranty, but still have the extended warranty. His response seemed unacceptable to me and I'm wondering if he just didn't want to bother filing a warranty claim.

Any similar experiences?

Not the perfect answer but here's what I've learned on mine:

My shield does flutter as you described, albeit quietly. But the sunroof shade (cloth covered thingy) is actually what rattles in mine. When it auto retracts with the glass it doesn't push the shade all the way back and catches turbulent air. I push the shade the extra inch or so to the backstop and it no longer flutters and is quieter overall.

hello after reading the post it is rattling when closed correct? i had a big problem with mine (lx 06) now after 4 tries they replaced the screws and added some type of tape between the sunroof and the wind deflector (scary for a 68k vehicle) but it fixed the problem. mine would only do it above 60mph the car from lexus told me also it is a problem they know about but only happens with some of the trucks the pressure from the wind forces the sunroof down and the flexes the wind deflector to bounce thus the rattle between the sunroof and the tray the parts sit in. after thinking about it; the tape is probably what is keeping the 2 from rattling; so what happens when the tape wears out? i guess put more there

r3run33 said:
hello after reading the post it is rattling when closed correct? i had a big problem with mine (lx 06) now after 4 tries they replaced the screws and added some type of tape between the sunroof and the wind deflector (scary for a 68k vehicle) but it fixed the problem. mine would only do it above 60mph the car from lexus told me also it is a problem they know about but only happens with some of the trucks the pressure from the wind forces the sunroof down and the flexes the wind deflector to bounce thus the rattle between the sunroof and the tray the parts sit in. after thinking about it; the tape is probably what is keeping the 2 from rattling; so what happens when the tape wears out? i guess put more there

No it's rattling only when it's open. I had a similar thing as you explained in my old Acura TL and they did the teflon tape thing. That's suppoesed to create a tight fit between the glass panel and the opening.

THis is the actual wind deflector.

Can't help you with the metal deflector but the plastic thing on mine is totally shot and bangs on the truck at about 100 mph of forward airspeed.

That plastic thingy also flutters on my LX above ~ 40mph or so.

I think it's a design shortcoming.

I tried pulling it down out of the airstream, at speed, and that stops the flutter - but this then allows a large cabin turbulence condition. So the thingy is apparently designed to stop one turbulence condition but it causes a different problem (thingy flutter).

An aftermarket shield mounted on top of the roof, at the front edge of the sunroof, would probably stop the thingy flutter. Any body know of any good ones? Anybody have comments on using one (adhesive issues, durability, affect to paint finish, etc.)?

yeah, very annoying.

I just slide the roof shut about 5 inches and seems to keep it quiet, just poor design, in my opinion. Never a problem in my 80, but different design. they should have made the deflector solid.

Ypu do open the rear quarter windows right? That makes a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom