Sunroof screw covers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I want to thank everyone who posts here. I had a soaked passenger area and determined it was a faulty screw cover in the sunroof area based off previous threads.

Now, onto my question: I decided to replace both of the screw covers, and when I removed the one on the driver’s side, the little threaded piece that you screw the cover into slid down into the headliner area. I’m having trouble crafting a way to replace this little thing so I can secure the cover in place. There really isn’t much room to slide something else in there. Can I glue the screw cover in place? I found a picture that someone else posted to give you a better idea what I’m talking about. Im specifically referring to the metal piece the the screw for the screw cover goes into.

C736F7E8-DDDA-4953-9B0B-7F0E9A405C88.jpeg

See if you can get a magnet in there to retrieve it - I've replaced mine in the past as a preventative maintenance action as I was having a sunroof leak also.

You sure this is where the issue is occurring ?

Good to see another PDX '80 series owner on here :)

That’s a good idea. I think I can hear it rattling around in there when I tap the headliner, so it’s just a matter of locating it with the magnet now. I’m nearly certain the leak is from the screw cover because I tracked water down through the a-pillar when I poured some in the sunroof area. I also just replaced the weather belt and have a new window channel handy just in case.

I’ve been meaning to join the clubhouse for PDX. I just bought my ‘80 last month so I have many projects ahead. Fixing these unknown leaks is the first step considering all the rain we’ve been getting!

Check the drain hose is clamped tight as well at the top of the pillar - I've heard of them shaking loose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom