Sunroof only opens half way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing searches now, but am not finding what I need.

Since I've owned my LC (about 4 months) anytime I open the sunroof it stops half way, then I just release and push the open button down again and it opens all the way. I didn't bother to ask any of you or do any searches--just figured it was normal.

NOW, that simple pause when opening has turned into the stopping point for the sunroof. I press open, and it goes half way and will not open any more.

Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix?

I all ways wonderd about that half way thing too, I bet there's a limit switch somewhere in there that has failed. Not very helpful I know, I'm sure you can sort it out though;)

haha, thanks superjuice... your username makes me want to change mine to "wheat grass". Hopefully a newbie will find this thread and it'll be of service to them.

I did a search "sunroof". no one had the exactly problem, but there was talk of removing the roof rack, which I just did today, and welding the holes and not affecting the "sunroof pan". I realized I had screwed 2 screws back in to see if they went all the way down, since I had to figure something out to keep the water out of those holes, those 2 screws were in the way of the sunroof fully opening!

:cheers:

..........I did a search "sunroof". no one had the exactly problem, but there was talk of removing the roof rack, which I just did today, and welding the holes and not affecting the "sunroof pan". I realized I had screwed 2 screws back in to see if they went all the way down, since I had to figure something out to keep the water out of those holes, those 2 screws were in the way of the sunroof fully opening!

:cheers:

These 2 screws were part of your sunroof or roof rack or what?:confused:

they were roof rack screws. I removed roof rack and re-inserted screws to see if they would fit. They fit, but little did I know there was a sunroof path that could and would be interrupted.

they were roof rack screws. I removed roof rack and re-inserted screws to see if they would fit. They fit, but little did I know there was a sunroof path that could and would be interrupted.

Ah, gotcha! Makes sense now, thanks!

Nice, glad to hear you got it working! and quickly i might add:clap:

FWIW I all ways assumed the half way stop opening was either just convenience for a part open window or more involved with the fact it stops half way when closing to remind you to move your fingers LOL. Sorta reminds me of the Passat's and Audi's that have a dial you jsut rotate and it opens and closes the window that far. :meh:

Glad you got it sorted out with a simple fix :)

Funny, my '94 opens all the way with no stops. On closing it will stop about 4 - 5" from closed. Then will continue after release of button and 2nd depress of it. Having it stop automatically on opening makes no sense to me. Just having it stop reliably when you release the button should be enough on the open cycle, IMHO.

Funny, my '94 opens all the way with no stops. On closing it will stop about 4 - 5" from closed. Then will continue after release of button and 2nd depress of it. Having it stop automatically on opening makes no sense to me. Just having it stop reliably when you release the button should be enough on the open cycle, IMHO.

Interesting. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom