Sunroof Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In searching for information on fixing a leaking sunroof on my 2000 LX 470, I found several threads on stuck and broken sunroofs. So, I I'm looking for recommended or preventative maintenance I can perform to keep the sunroof operating smoothly. I confirmed my 4 drain tubes are clear and flowing and cleaned the drips trays. Should I add grease? If so, where?

I would so you don't have to pull the headliner and do the big fix. I think you're on the right track, the failure seems like it progresses from clogged drains allowing water to stand in the tray, which then gets into the cable housing, and the cables seize solid in there.

I'd focus on keeping the drive cables clean and well lubed, and exercise the roof often. I try to open and close mine at least once a week if it isn't raining since I really don't want to do this again. Here's a thread I put together when I did mine last summer, the cables are spiral wound and have white lithium grease on them from the factory. They should look white or slightly off-white. If they're orange, that's not good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom