Sunroof Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All. I have an '00 Land Cruiser and my sunroof is struggling to open. When I try to open the sunroof it just stops after the glass starts to "drop" if that makes sense. Occasionally it does open and once it gets past the glass dropping it slides back with ease and as of now has no issues closing and popping back into place. I did clean around the sunroof and I lightly lubricated the track and when I did that it opened with ease for a day or so. Should I clean and lubricate the track even more or does the motor need to be replaced or god forbid do I need to drop the headliner and investigate even more.
Any insight would be helpful. I appreciate it.

It’s most likely not your motor. Does it tilt up fine? It could be your old seal hanging up-fairly easy to replace.

You can try to lubricate more, it certainly won’t hurt. I used white lithium grease in a spray can when I rebuilt mine. The mechanism doesn’t slide on the middle of the track as much as in the slots on both sides. When it’s all the way open clean it well and then spray the grease in the slots, but especially the inner slot with the cable in it. Then work it back and forth until it tracks smoothly.

If there is rust on the cables you may be fighting a losing battle, though.

It’s most likely not your motor. Does it tilt up fine? It could be your old seal hanging up-fairly easy to replace.

You can try to lubricate more, it certainly won’t hurt. I used white lithium grease in a spray can when I rebuilt mine. The mechanism doesn’t slide on the middle of the track as much as in the slots on both sides. When it’s all the way open clean it well and then spray the grease in the slots, but especially the inner slot with the cable in it. Then work it back and forth until it tracks smoothly.

If there is rust on the cables you may be fighting a losing battle, though.
The sunroof became an issue when I tried to tilt it up last week and it got stuck in the up position. I was able to get it back down after I blew the track out with a can of air. I don’t know really know if that helped get it down but was just glad it got down. I haven’t tried tilting back up since.

I appreciate the help. I will for sure try some white lithium grease though because it can’t hurt to lubricate more. Really hoping it’s not rusty cables.

The way it tilts up is by pulling the cable further forward - it’s counterintuitive but the mechanical part of the cables is a sliding cam. The part actually splits and has what looks like a graphite lubricant inside, but I don’t think you can split it when it’s in the tracks. If you get the cable good and lubed it will probably work all the way.

What color are your cables @Jack Lee ? That's usually a good indicator of their overall health. New healthy cables are whitish (lithium grease), old rusty cables are brownish. If your roof is still moving now, clean, lubricate, and exercise that thing as much as possible and you might just save it from certain death. Yes, keeping the track clean and drains clear is important. But focus your cleaning and lubrication on the cables themselves and the guides they slide in, that's what seizes up and stops the whole show.

If you think it is the tracks you can try Shin-Etsu Silicone grease. Developed by/for Honda for window tracks (Honda part 08798-9013). It works really well. I have put it on ALL my hoses, rubber, and plastic parts. I rub it on so that you can see it, let is sit for a day, then rub it off. It makes old parts look and feel new.
I used one and a half tubes to do everything on the truck the first time, now I just redo a section at a time when I do regular maintenance. I purchased from amazon.

HondaGrease.JPG

What color are your cables @Jack Lee ? That's usually a good indicator of their overall health. New healthy cables are whitish (lithium grease), old rusty cables are brownish. If your roof is still moving now, clean, lubricate, and exercise that thing as much as possible and you might just save it from certain death. Yes, keeping the track clean and drains clear is important. But focus your cleaning and lubrication on the cables themselves and the guides they slide in, that's what seizes up and stops the whole show.
The cables from what I recall are brown…And the past few days I have not been able to open the roof. Not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom