Sunroof interior trim is broken and ratteling....Any good fixes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this trim is NLA, I searched all over the place.
So I'm looking for good ideas on how to make it stop rattling.
I was tempeted to take it down and heat weld it back together from the back side, but it's brittle as candy and I'm afriad it will shatter into more pieces than can be reasonably reassembled.
Super glue? JB Weld? Take it out and make a wooden trim ring from....teak?

Well. You may not like to hear this, but you asked for a solution...

Mine rattled and I also had a little water leak.

So when I did the bicycle tube sunroof seal fix, I bit the bullet and ordered new trim from the dealership.

Short from that would be remove the trim and try to put some felt tape where the corners meet each other. But you already know if you take it off it's gonna break.

No more rattle and no leak. This forum should be called ih8sunroofs.

Only the oak is NLA. I purchased the gray trim and painted it to match my oak interior. Works fine.

Sunroof repair.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same as mingles but used a rustoleum product which matched well.

I took mine off, doesn't really bother me. lol.
This is what I did. Honestly, I don’t really notice it because the raw frame is black. Doesn’t look unfinished to me, and I have a pretty high bar.

Subscribed. I actually replaced mine and it still rattles. It’s just the front pieces and, when pushed forward tightly, the sunroof cover helps keep the rattling to a minimum.

I glued mine in place to stop rattling. Little bit of epoxy.

I enjoy my sunroof.

Can anyone post a photo of the black frame without the trim?

Can anyone post a photo of the black frame without the trim?
You can't tell, if you didn't know it had trim there. Wouldn't be surprised if poverty packs didn't have it.
It's nice to know the trim is still available if you're inclined.

Mine turned to pringles in the socal sun, rattled around, etc
It's not worth changing for me. Just one more thing in the way if I have to go at the sunroof to adjust again....

there are pics in this thread

So I thought I would try to oh so delicately attempt to get the broken pieces over my head out last night....
It exploded into half a dozen pieces. :mad:

So fuggit! All the trim comes out, in pieces if necessary. The only time I have the shade open is when I have the glass open, so the trim being gone isn't even noticed.

So I thought I would try to oh so delicately attempt to get the broken pieces over my head out last night....
It exploded into half a dozen pieces. :mad:

So fuggit! All the trim comes out, in pieces if necessary. The only time I have the shade open is when I have the glass open, so the trim being gone isn't even noticed.

All of these trim pieces in existence are as brittle as yours were, not only will they explode when you touch them but they explode into very very sharp fragments. What's unfortunate is to take the glass out to do the sunroof seal fix you need to remove the trim pieces to access the nuts. But like I said earlier, luckily the metal frame looks rather good exposed so it's not even something people notice. I'll try to get a photo tonight.

The section across the front on mine has turned to dust and fallen out, leaving the two sides to flap around and rattle. I was thinking of using some double sided tape to just hold it in place and stop the rattle. If the rest of it begins to crumble I'll just rip it all out and go naked.

Mine is dry rotting from the NM sun and the front crumbled away. Taking them off as they chip and break and rattle. Stupid plastic.

So can we just break out that rectangular plastic ring around and below the sunroof glass? If I can remove it without dismantling or removing the glass or anything else, I'm in. Mine is broken in two places and looks janky as anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom