Sunroof haters please read ! (delete sunroof) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just installed a new sunroof panel this past weekend and the total weight for the glass and the metal frame and weatherstrip including the box it came in was 21 pounds. Not sure how heavy the rest of the apparatus is, but 60 more pounds seems like a lot.

Mostly plastic, so I would guess about 20-25 lbs glass and all.

I'm considering doing this - bad leak that I can't fix and old style headliner.
I'm thinking about getting a piece of stainless steel sheet metal and putting it up there with stainless steel rivets & seam sealer. Thoughts?

Do you think I'll need someone with an english wheel or roller to form the panel? Probably will go with something in the range of 20-24 ga metal.

I'm considering doing this - bad leak that I can't fix and old style headliner.
I'm thinking about getting a piece of stainless steel sheet metal and putting it up there with stainless steel rivets & seam sealer. Thoughts?

Do you think I'll need someone with an english wheel or roller to form the panel? Probably will go with something in the range of 20-24 ga metal.
You don't need to drop the headliner to get the glass and its frame assembly out. Not sure if that is the source of your leak, but if you follow the FSM, it tells you to drop the headliner, which isn't necessary if you are just replacing the panel.

The whole sunroof assembly (cassette), which needs the headliner dropped (or I my case, I ripped the old headliner out), weighs about 60 lbs. I pulled one out of my Inglorious Basterd build rig. It's more bulky than heavy, and two people would make it an easier job. It can be done solo.

If you remove the glass and frame, you still have the cassette tub, which is a large plastic unit (guestimate of about 20 lbs).

I am thinking of removing the sunroof on my second 80, since it leaks. To those who have used adhesive/Bondo to cover the hole, have you had any leaks or other issues?

Resurrecting an old thread in hope to get some info. To anyone that’s done this, did you notice any substantial temp changes? Would you do it again? How much did it cost just to get your roof painted? I’m 99% sure I can weld in a panel and remove the cassette, but I’m no body/paint man.
Anyways, I’d like to order a prinsu rack and get rid of the factory rack, but I’d like to do it the right way and weld up the old bolt holes, and that would be a great opportunity to weld up the sunroof hole

my sunroof leaks like a MF. drains are clogged solid and i never liked sunroofs anyway. after seeing this thread, it reminds me i need to shave my top.. after reading the first page of posts i like the idea of using the space between the headliner and roof for some small storage space. SR delete is on my list now..

Easiest quick solution for a leaky sunroof is to buy a $5 tube of RTV silicone, some blue painters tape, and some latex gloves. Mask off the paint and glass so you just have access to the gap and seal the sunroof to the roof.

Pull the control panel down, unplug the switches, close it back up.

No leaks in 5 years and I haven't missed using the sunroof at all.

I’m in it for the insulation factor, no future leaks is just a bonus
Anyone concerned with losing a way out after an accident? Break glass and scoot.

I like the idea of another exit in an emergency (drive into deep water or flash flood, open/smash the sunroof glass and climb on the roof) but then again, how often does that happen??

I like the idea of another exit in an emergency (drive into deep water or flash flood, open/smash the sunroof glass and climb on the roof) but then again, how often does that happen??
I was thinking more likely the vehicle on its side, but flood works too. As to how-oftens—how often do we actually, REALLY need lockers? :)

I am with you!

Hey all, I just had my sunroof deleted and the body shop has called to ask about re installing the headliner and re attaching the lights and such. They removed the entire assembly, so there is no place to reattach the lights anymore. My options are leave it as is and try to get someone to modify/make a new headliner that sits flush with the roof and allows me to reattach the lights, or have them reinstall the tub, minus the window, so that everything bolts back together. I'm thinking the latter makes sense so I can just close everything back up for now. Any thoughts?

Hey all, I just had my sunroof deleted and the body shop has called to ask about re installing the headliner and re attaching the lights and such. They removed the entire assembly, so there is no place to reattach the lights anymore. My options are leave it as is and try to get someone to modify/make a new headliner that sits flush with the roof and allows me to reattach the lights, or have them reinstall the tub, minus the window, so that everything bolts back together. I'm thinking the latter makes sense so I can just close everything back up for now. Any thoughts?

pics

yeah- tell them to pull off the roof crossmember brace and reinstalll it. the rear one is drilled for the light assembly......abd the front one has room to be drilled.

827A1E7B-B0A7-4544-AEFA-3829C905A6F6.jpeg

2F4D18B6-AEBD-4CD6-843B-00EB0531551C.jpeg

Last edited:
yeah- tell them to pull off the roof crossmember brace and reinstalll it. the rear one is drilled for the light assembly......abd the front one has room to be drilled.

View attachment 2438912

View attachment 2438913
Looks like the one in your pic is at the back of the car. Are you saying pull that one? Or pull one from the sunroof tub? Could you explain further, I’m a bit confused which one you’re talking about.

i just put the light back up with some 3m tape. i also used velcro to hold the sunroof slide cover in place so it all looks stock. i keep a few guns on the new plate with magnetic mounts now where the sunroof was. nice to have options.

the front one could be drilled just like the rear one is and you could have an install point. or just 3m tape it up and you are good to go. I ended up raising my roof 7" so those pics were from removal and reinstall of them albeit higher up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom