Sunroof Delete? Leaks wont stop! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The drain lines are CLEAR!!! this is an issue with the weatherstrip shrinking to the point of a gap of at least 1mm where water enters the sunroof tray, the issue is that water doesnt drain fast enpough, so going to turn causes the etra water to pool up against an edge (usually the cable connection) and water drips on me. I removed the headliner and confirmed that the tray WILL DRAIN, but never fast enough for a 25 year old sunroof gasket to hold it back.
I live in a tropical place. I have tried the bike innertube trick, I even tried butyl ruber to seal the sunroof, but "Life finds a way" and my interior is getting trashed. I am a giant person , so I want to get the headroom with deleting my sunroof. I will have a upholsterer make me a new headliner, no biggie.
My plan is a piece of metal to cover the opening, smooth the bonded edges, and monstaliner over the patch, as my truck is already monster lined sand color anyways.

Does anyone already make a piece of metal with the right profile for the roof?

Nope you have to make your own.

The drain lines are CLEAR!!! this is an issue with the weatherstrip shrinking to the point of a gap of at least 1mm where water enters the sunroof tray, the issue is that water doesnt drain fast enpough, so going to turn causes the etra water to pool up against an edge (usually the cable connection) and water drips on me. I removed the headliner and confirmed that the tray WILL DRAIN, but never fast enough for a 25 year old sunroof gasket to hold it back.
I live in a tropical place. I have tried the bike innertube trick, I even tried butyl ruber to seal the sunroof, but "Life finds a way" and my interior is getting trashed. I am a giant person , so I want to get the headroom with deleting my sunroof. I will have a upholsterer make me a new headliner, no biggie.
My plan is a piece of metal to cover the opening, smooth the bonded edges, and monstaliner over the patch, as my truck is already monster lined sand color anyways.

If I was going to go this route, I would talk to the people at Import Monster. They're based in Australia and deal in new and used car parts from Australia and Asia. Other parts of the world offered the 80 Series without a sunroof. They might be able to get you the roof section you're looking for. Emphasis on "might". I've purchased parts from them before, and they're great to deal with, but I've only used them for light housings, etc, not body panels. Good luck.

Cheers

I'd say the chances of a section of roof sheet metal arriving from across the Pacific and the Caribbean straight are relatively slim. A good body shop can match the curve, and I'd go that route before shipping parts any distance. You'll need a good body shop to install it properly anyway, so it's not like you're skipping an expense by getting a roof cut. Just my thoughts.

I have thought about just doing a vinyl wrap over the roof, but if your roof is bed-lined, that probably won't work.

<snip>

yes no more leaks:grinpimp:

1596205744454.png

With @LandCruiserPhil , everything is for sale. :) seriously he has some great modification kits. I have the electric radiator fan kit. It helps a great deal on those slow trail rides when you don't get too much airflow with the stock clutch fan.

i welded a piece in mine and solved that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom