Sunny the 1979 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I have arrived in Texas. Shop is coming along nicely. Lots of small updates...

1) Turns out this "1980" is really a Sep of 1979 build. I've been wrong this entire time!
2) DUI Distributor/Live Wires/OEM plugs installed. Timing adjusted as well as the carb.
3) Hubcaps
4) OEM alternator pulley thanks @ToyotaMatt
5) New belts and heater hoses
6) Ordered a new thermostat/gaskets

Took her out for a nice long drive today and it drives much better. No more lag on acceleration.

*Temp gauge is hovering to the left of center towards a "quarter tank" if you will. (Thermostat? Water temp sensor?)
*Fuel gauge after a full fill up is showing about half a tank. Filled up a little less than a quarter tank and only took 8 gallons. (Fuel sending unit?)

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

Data Plate.jpg

Lastly, I've been scouring the forums about the "Cruiser Lean" and it seems like there are a ton of opinions of how to sort it out. All I know is that it's bugging me and it's now high up on the *fix list. Tracks perfectly straight down the road so I'm not sure what's going on. Pictures below...open to suggestions.

Driver Front
Driver Frt.jpg

Driver Rear
Driver Rear.jpg

Passenger Front
Pass Frt.jpg

Passenger Rear
Pass Rear.jpg

Driver Shackle Front
Driver Shackle Front.jpg

I have a 10/79 - happy to compare notes

Looks to be an inch lower on the drivers side but fairly symmetric front to back. Probably a leveler block is the easiest solution. I know man a fre sells a trim plate thats 1" used to preload the spring, but I'm unsure to what degree this 1" thickness translates to in height change.

I have a 10/79 - happy to compare notes

Looks to be an inch lower on the drivers side but fairly symmetric front to back. Probably a leveler block is the easiest solution. I know man a fre sells a trim plate thats 1" used to preload the spring, but I'm unsure to what degree this 1" thickness translates to in height change.
Might have to go that route...thanks!

I too have the infamous cruiser lean on my ‘76, OME suspension and 33” BFG KM2s - my fender measurements are extremely similar to yours. I ordered the leveling block kit from CCOT recently and am planning to install in the next week or so, I’ll let you know how it goes!

I’ve read mixed reviews, but have seen enough cases of success when the lean is around 1” that I’m willing to risk $30 and some time wrenching. It’s not a huge deal like you mentioned, but it’s noticeable if you’re looking for it and enough to bug me too!

I too have the infamous cruiser lean on my ‘76, OME suspension and 33” BFG KM2s - my fender measurements are extremely similar to yours. I ordered the leveling block kit from CCOT recently and am planning to install in the next week or so, I’ll let you know how it goes!

I’ve read mixed reviews, but have seen enough cases of success when the lean is around 1” that I’m willing to risk $30 and some time wrenching. It’s not a huge deal like you mentioned, but it’s noticeable if you’re looking for it and enough to bug me too!
Send me a message when you get it done! Would love to know. Thanks for chiming in.

Hi, Our 1979 had a York a.c. We took it out . My mechanic installed them back in the day and said they used up about 22-23 hp! I do know It made a big difference when removed . Mike

I installed the CCOT level block a few years ago, it made a difference but still not perfect, still off 1/2".

I didn't necessarily care about it but when I moved provinces it was a requirement to get a road safety. The block put it within tolerance.

I can't remember but I think I had to install a new center pin and new U bolts so maybe factor those in as well.

1) Turns out this "1980" is really a Sep of 1979 build. I've been wrong this entire time!

Very common for them to have been titled when sold, not when made. My "1980" was made in '79 also.

What happened to your washer / coolant overflow tank? I see some kind of bracket attached to the passenger side of the radiator?
I have a makeshift one in there right now. Waiting to put the OEM tank back in, but holding off until the washer pump motor gets delivered from @ToyotaMatt.

Your description sounds like its the brake pads rattling in the calipers, especially when the noise goes away when you apply the brakes. Check your anti rattle clips on the brake pads.

I have a makeshift one in there right now. Waiting to put the OEM tank back in, but holding off until the washer pump motor gets delivered from @ToyotaMatt.

in the mail to Ya ..

with piles of XMASS Teq Swag to boot :cool:

thanks

good thing those bottles are off , they will be installed with some PHRESH oem mounting hardware and the like

DSCN5237.JPG

DSCN5240.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom