Sunk my Hundy, need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I need some advice here. I sunk my 100 series this weekend. I had water in the cabin over the bottom of the seats. Once I pulled it out, I cleaned out the plugs and dried all the electronics, fuse boxes, etc, with a air pressure hose.

She will not start and it seems to have numerous electrical problems, lights, fans AC.

Insurance will total it out and I could rebuy as salvage vehicle.

Do you guys think it's worth working on her or let her go. I've only had it 3 months and it's full expedition ready. ARB front and back and rack, OME 2.75, TRD 17 rims, warn 8000, K&N cold intake. 2002 with 103K.

Salt water, fresh water or muddy water?

Check fuses and relays. No click, nothing? Or does it turn over and not fire?

As you work through the above, pull the plugs, turn it over with them out, and then put them back when it's ready to start.

If all relays and fuses are good, may want to hunt down an ecu. I had my ecu under river water for about 20min and the truck never shut off.

That should get you going, so long as you were idling I bet everything is fixable.

Fresh water, mostly clear. The water caused the motor to stall. Stayed under for about an hour.

It turns over, but does not fire. I did remove all the plug wires and blew out the holes where the plugs were, but didn't remove the plugs. I will do that next.

Can I do an ecu for ecu replacement?

I was in the exact same scenario about 4 months ago. Take it to someone who knows how to completely disassemble the engine to dry every part. The engine stalled because you sucked water through the intake and into the engine block. When that happened to me I immediately disconnected the intake from the block and a large stream of oily water poured out. Make sure you or the person who you send it to also flushes all fluids multiple times to remove every last drop of water. I had my oil changed 5 times, power steering changed twice, transmission fluid twice, and diff case fluid twice. If you have AHC get that flushed several times as well (and any other fluids I may have left out). Take all the seats out and pull up the carpet. Stick a couple high powered fans along with a dehumidifier or two in it and let it sit in a garage or similar sealed area. Took me 5 days and that was just to dry the interior, spent 2weeks at the dealership. Look through my posts and you'll see all the pictures explaining how to do it.

Oh Man, Squidlo, feeling your pain.. I did this a few years back to my 4th gen 4runner. I did not suck water into the engine but the ECU board on the 4runner's is low and it blew that, engine would not start. I had water up to seat cushions.

My insurance totaled it and I walked. Too many gremlins and too much work for me to salvage. Not to mention the salvage title.

Forger has great advice if you want to keep your rig. Best of luck, keep us posted.

it's all about time. Right now just forget about the cosmetics like the leather molding and moisture in/behind you headlights/gauge cluster. Go for ECU and engine first then follow the methods I did if you looks back in my posts. Feel free to PM me if you have any question and like Chris said, best of luck to you and keep us posted!

Truly terrible to read that this happened.
The juice just ain't worth the squeeze in terms of keeping it for anything other than to part out or for building a true trail rig.
Provided you are relatively right with the "insurance gods" of course...
Otherwise, while I have no doubt it can be brought back to seemingly normal operation, there will always be gremlins due to the level of water intrusion.

I'm not nearly as gloomy about your prospects for a reliable rig. I sunk mine 2 years and 35k miles ago and she has been solid. Just wrapped up 7500 overlanding miles actually.

Do you have a method for checking that you have spark? Pull a plug, ground to engine with coil connected to plug and have a friend turn truck over.

Also check that the fuel rail is getting fuel.

If you have both of those then it's likely your ecu is good, but if its not starting you need to look else are for some other issues. But check for fuel and spark and report back.

Dump all of the fluids, open up everything that you can ESPECIALLY the plugs (squirt oil into the cylinders and crank it over). I'd even take the carpets out and seats apart, leather off of the cushions to dry out the cushions. If not you'll at a minimum need new cushions from Dan, but maybe you can save the leather (it's pricey but easy to remove from the cushion). I would think the ECU would be pretty much waterproof but it should be dried out too, along with all of the other components. I'd dry out all the connectors too, then change fluids and filters multiple times as suggested by others. Repack wheel bearings too, we always did that in the Army after fordings.

Do you carry coverage for all of the aftermarket add-ons?

...via IH8MUD app

Forgot one thing: Run the electric motors after you blow them out with pressurized air and then squirt WD40 into them. Run some more. WD40 is a drying agent.
But, good luck. Ned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom