Sun visor the (POI&)(&*^*&% thing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is driving me nuts. 1997 40th tan sun visor driver's side.

A lot of you folks know the program. Floppy visor that just hangs in your face.

I've done the search thing for solutions. I tried adhesive backed velcro. It wont stick to the material and I don't want to Gorilla glue the stuff on. I'm not even gonna try to take the thing apart and fix it - I'm pretty sure I'd get a fail.

None available new that I can find. Cdan says no more. Can't find a used one.

Anybody got any new ideas? TIA

I used 2 magnets. Placed one inside the sunroof opening and one on the visor on the metal clip of my garage opener. It's kind of "ghetto" but works.:)

Hey it's better than the thing hanging in your face and a good idea. You got a lot of vehicles man!

Cruiserparts.net didn't have any?

Buy a used one from part-out section and get something called fabric paint to match it. Then wait for somebody to part out a 40th.

I took a razor blade and cut along the seam and took out the broken pieces and pinched the metal clip that's in there to make it snug. just stitched it up when I was done. worked well and it was free

When was the last time you used your sun visor?
The ones in my 81 were floppy. I took them out 6-8 months ago. Haven't missed them once.
Still have them in the parts box, if I ever get the ambition, I may try to rebuild them. I have better things to spend $150? on...
Redneck, I know.

My passenger side got floppy so undid the screws, flipped the bracket 180 and screwed it back in. Took 2 minutes. Stays in place perfectly now. The only problem is you cant swing it around now to block sun coming in the passenger window. But beats not having a visor at all. I have plans to fix it right someday. I kinda like the magnet idea. :hmm: Maybe if I took super strong magnet like from a speaker, glued it to the top side of the headliner just above the visor (if theres room), and cut a small slit and slid a bar of metal or another magnet into the bottom of the visor? :meh: or then again I could just leave it as it is...

I would just take it out. I never used it.

Wife's DD for 10 years now. She flipped it, flopped it and twisted it constantly - which is the reason it's screwed up no doubt. Still tries to mess with it out of habit but it just flops back down. I don't get the fixation with a sun visor. She is short, but still - put it somewhere and leave it. I swear she would move it five times on a 15 minute drive if she still could.

I'm gonna try flipping it first, then the cut and sew method. I don't wanna spend anyhtiing on it. Left to me it would either come out or be fixed in place out of the way.

Thanks for the input.

Any other ideas?

Your's are gone Cyclosteve. Thanks for the offer though.

i did the tan velcro with epoxy to make it stick. The first cruisers i drove were in Afghanistan so its all offroad all the time. Nothing worse than having them fall down when your driving fast. It was the first mod i did to my 40th, gotta say, if you take your time and place it correctly they aren't visible with the visor up, and the military tan hook and loop is an almost perfect match to the Toyota tan.

Your's are gone Cyclosteve. Thanks for the offer though.

:confused: Last I checked (just over a week ago) they were packed in factory bubble pack safely in my garage. Still available, unless the :princess: has sold them while I am overseas (not likely).

:cheers:

Steve

Look at your add link....

weirdbeard what kind of epoxy did you use and source for tan hook and loop? All I can find is black. Did the epoxy set that fast or did you clamp it with pieces of wood or something?

Any other ideas for glue on this project. Kind of hard to get a clamp set up on the headliner.

Several offers out there back in February, but no one has bitten or paid yet. Trust me, they are still for sale.

On the glue front, there is a specific glue which will properly bond with these, as I experimented with four different types before figuring out which works best. Will be back stateside and can check on Tuesday to see the name/brand. The furry-vinyl is not easy to get a good bond.

:cheers:

Steve

I use a coat hanger chopped down. Have it hooked on the sunroof opening to hold the visor up. Put a koozie over it and now it double as a sunglasses holder.

I finally found something that works well. I got a couple of 1 inch square STRONG magnets (rare earth work well), and worked them inside the headliner just in front of the sunroof.

Then I went to the hardward store and found 2 of those chrome metal "bands" that go on glass stereo cabinet doors. You know the ones I'm talking about? the glass doors that are held closed magnetically. It's like a U shaped chrome piece. I put those over the end of the visor directly below the magnets. 4 years and still works well.

... I kinda like the magnet idea. :hmm: Maybe if I took super strong magnet like from a speaker, glued it to the top side of the headliner just above the visor (if theres room), and cut a small slit and slid a bar of metal or another magnet into the bottom of the visor? ...

I finally found something that works well. I got a couple of 1 inch square STRONG magnets (rare earth work well), and worked them inside the headliner just in front of the sunroof.

Then I went to the hardward store and found 2 of those chrome metal "bands" that go on glass stereo cabinet doors. You know the ones I'm talking about? the glass doors that are held closed magnetically. It's like a U shaped chrome piece. I put those over the end of the visor directly below the magnets. 4 years and still works well.

Yeah! Thats what I'm talking about! Cool. So it works! :clap:

Fixed my broken & droopy passenger side with washers. Works like new now.
image-2153642049.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom