Sun roof / moonroof removal due to stuck cables any prep??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive searched the whole forum near and far with no luck. I have the headliner down and ready to pull the sun roof and assy down.
1. Should I place any marks on the frame so I can make install easier? Should I mark on the rails where the glass frame sits? Any prep to make it easier for reinstall

2. Does this actually work to pull it apart and attempt to clean the guides and relube? I have seen tons of threads on the subject but nothing indicates the result.

I will take some pictures and add to the thread if it will help anyone in the future

Ive searched the whole forum near and far with no luck. I have the headliner down and ready to pull the sun roof and assy down.
1. Should I place any marks on the frame so I can make install easier? Should I mark on the rails where the glass frame sits? Any prep to make it easier for reinstall

2. Does this actually work to pull it apart and attempt to clean the guides and relube? I have seen tons of threads on the subject but nothing indicates the result.

I will take some pictures and add to the thread if it will help anyone in the future

1. no I don't, the frame can really only go in one way and one way only. the glass you will adjust after you install your new cables and lift arms and reinstall the sunroof frame.

2. depends on how bad the cables are seized in the frame and how badly you want to pull the sunroof down again. worst case scenario you will need the whole sunroof assembly with all new cables and lift arms. more likely you will need new cables and lift arms. if you try to remove them and clean them up they may seize again and then you would have to remove it again and do the same thing. personally I would replace the arms and cables, do it once and do it right

1. no I don't, the frame can really only go in one way and one way only. the glass you will adjust after you install your new cables and lift arms and reinstall the sunroof frame.

2. depends on how bad the cables are seized in the frame and how badly you want to pull the sunroof down again. worst case scenario you will need the whole sunroof assembly with all new cables and lift arms. more likely you will need new cables and lift arms. if you try to remove them and clean them up they may seize again and then you would have to remove it again and do the same thing. personally I would replace the arms and cables, do it once and do it right[/QUO

I agree in most cases I would. This thing is on its last leg I think and may only habe it another year or so. Well shouldnt say its really on its last leg but the rust has taken hold and may need more money than im willing to out into it

well if your thinking that you may only keep the truck another year or so why repair the sunroof if its not leaking. if its not leaking don't even bother, just unplug the motor so it cant try to open the sunroof.

well if your thinking that you may only keep the truck another year or so why repair the sunroof if its not leaking. if its not leaking don't even bother, just unplug the motor so it cant try to open the sunroof.

A5E7C0E8-E914-4DD2-9EC3-AD91AE36A407.jpeg

56946BAD-D85A-4005-AAA3-88EC77EC10FE.jpeg

looks like it took a twelve pack of busch to take it out .now how much to put it back in?

it is a lot easier to take them out of the trucks than out of cars, you can just slip them out the rear hatch. when you reinatall the cable s and lift arms there should be match marks that you will want to line up to time the motor to the cables.

Well got it back in pretty easy. Initially I tried to use some fuel line and hose clamps to hold the copper tubing together which was a massive failure with all the grease. Quick trip to the store and 8$ later I settled on some compression unions to bring it all together. Its kind of noisy but gets the job done. Beats 600$ in new cables and guides

27806052-54C2-4FAE-BCAF-2CF3F7C9F49A.jpeg

E445F9AF-1BC3-43CD-8EF9-F3E19D018713.jpeg

Well got it back in pretty easy. Initially I tried to use some fuel line and hose clamps to hold the copper tubing together which was a massive failure with all the grease. Quick trip to the store and 8$ later I settled on some compression unions to bring it all together. Its kind of noisy but gets the job done. Beats 600$ in new cables and guides

View attachment 1811893

View attachment 1811894
nice fix... thanks for sharing.

Nice work! When I worked on my sunroof few years ago, I ended up just buying a new assembly system. Too much gunk in the track system. So, nice work to save some $$$! Little too late for you but back when I was working on mine, I found some doc regarding sunroof disassembly and assembly for Toyota cars including LC. I think page 72-75 for LCs. Attaching excerpts Pic as well.

3BA5798C-FD90-4F17-AD9A-508ADCA56C25.jpeg

42A3E00E-4C29-4D7D-A690-60A3877A7D33.jpeg

Attachments

• SUNROOF.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 361

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom