Summer 2017 HDJ80 Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CycloSteve

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, finally took the HDJ80 conversion on its' first serious long distance trip. A week before, it served duty taking Scouts up to summer camp in the Sierras, logging 500 miles in the process. No issues whatsoever...so she was deemed ready for her first 3000+ mile roadtrip.

Our long summer trip started in Santa Cruz, with a stop in Bend OR, up to Coeur d'Alene ID for almost a week on the lake with my brother and his family, over to Montana to visit more family, finally down through Yellowstone and the Tetons, and into UT, crossing the NV desert back home.

The truck ran flawlessly. No issues whatsoever, with smooth speeds up to 80mph. Over the 3000 miles traveled, our average fuel consumption for the trip was 21 MPG, with one section of the drive from Dillon MT to Logan UT returning 24.8 MPG. The fuel cost was somewhere around $350 total! The high MPG was mostly due to the lower speed limits in both Yellowstone and the Tetons...yes, the big blue brick is much happier with pushing 50 MPH and sipping fuel. With the dual tanks, we only had to fuel up every other day. Most of the time on the interstate we were simply on cruise control in the 70+ MPH zone, with the AC and radio blasting. Even had some off road time crossing several passes in the Rockies which were dirt/gravel.

On the tech-side of things, EGT's hit a max of 1050 on one section of I80 heading west into a headwind in the middle of the NV desert, going up some long uphill slog at 85 degrees out, pushing 75 MPH, 18PSI boost, AC and cruise on. No worries, and passing everyone without any hesitation. Oh, and yes the truck had three people and two weeks of gear in the back.

Here are a few shots along the way. Ready to fuel up and head north or east soon.

Crater Lake and a local forest fire

full

Lemhi Pass in Idaho

full

Buffaloed in Yellowstone

full

Offroad above Eden UT

full

Tilting Windmill Blades Near Bonneville Salt Flats

full

Auto? Wth the stock 4:10 gears, 35's and a manual trans I don't like to run my truck over 68ish MPH. Seems like the autos can run some higher highway speeds. I managed 19.3mpg a month ago on a 2,000 mile trip.

Nice work Steve! Can't remember for sure, you did swap t-case gears for a better overall cruise RPM right? I'm still getting 20mpg in mine :cheers:

Great MPG figures! Fill in the blanks as to what hardware you're all running.

Ian, I'm the "stock" guy. FT/H151/factory T-case gears, factory 4.10 axle ratios on stock sized tires. Rebuilt CT-26 running 15psi of boost (max) with no intercooler. The 80 has gone over 26,500 miles since the diesel swap and is still running STRONG.

I'll chime in, I'm H151, 35s, larger cold side on a stock ct26 turbine, intercooled, big RTT. I managed 19.3mpg on a long trip from Vancouver island to the Kootenays last week, but speeds were at about 90km. Mpg decreased exponentially when running any faster then that (16-17mpg on second leg of trip, which included the Coquihalla Hwy and 110kmh)

Trans: H151F with Terrain Tamer HD Clutch

T-Case: HF2VA with the Terrain Tamer OD gearset

Speedo Correction: Marks box adjusted to match GPS

Diffs: OEM Mr. T 4.10 gears with ARB AirLockers

Tires: BFG AT KO 315's

Motor: 1HD-FT

Turbo: GTurbo Grunter Extreme

Exhaust: 3" inside frame with AeroTurbine 3030XL

Intercooler: Safari FMIC

Airbox: OEM but also running modified 1FZ cover, and Safari Snorkel

Fuel Tanks: OEM subtank-style main and OEM subtank for 38+ gallons onboard

Armor: Everywhere, and weighs a ton

Sounds like a great trip!

I was in the Tetons as well on a recent trip, to the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming for the eclipse, then back north via the Beartooth Hwy and through Montana/Idaho/Washington. I've been tracking my mileage via GPS and uploading onto Fuelly. White (Toyota Land Cruiser) | Fuelly. You should be able to change mileage stats (l/100km, us gal, imperial gallon, etc) on the top left of the screen.

1HD-T, Safari IC, G-Turbo GE, electronic A442F, Wholesale VB and TC, 315's, armor, Cruis'n Offroad Roof Rack, loaded with all my kit = heavy.

IC and G-Turbo went on after Yellowknife (January) and before Cruise Moab this year. I have not tuned it yet post IC and G-Turbo, so am sure there is more efficiency available.

gb

To throw in my comment, on our loaded summer trip with our stock, autotranny '91 HDJ-81 I would get 21 mpg if I stayed at or below 115 kmph or ~2400rpm.

where your rpm range sit's when doing over 70mph ..?

70mph is 2400rpm. Prior to the T-Case Gears and going back to 4.10's I was at 3000rpm doing 65mph. :eek: Now 3000rpm would be well over 80mph and above my comfort zone for the beast.