1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on radiator hose sealing substance?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by IdahoDoug, Jul 13, 2005.

1. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I have a few hoses that simply refuse to stay sealed up - 2 on the 93 and 2 on the 97. I've messed with them a bit and and tired of screwing around. They ooze a bit of pink foamy stuff which is what the Toyota Red looks like when it dries. On the 97, one of the large aluminum block fittings was slightly eroded due to the original hoses allowing constant seep before I swapped them all out for new.

Anyone know of an appropriate sealant I could pull the offending hoses off, smear on them and reseat?? Obviously it should not attack rubber. Not sure if silicone sealant qualifies on that score. Is there an industry product for this?

Thanks.

DougM

2. Biff

Biff

Have you tried

Permatex FORM-A-SEAL Leak Repair 5 oz. aerosol

Works great when I get leaks

3. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Teflon? Constant hose clamp instead of the OEM spring type? New hoses? I have pink crystal on the hoses' ends as well.

Frank.

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

I would be tempted to try silicone grease, on things like this often a lubricated hose can find is own good spot where a dry one cannot (experience here is non automotive) silicone grease is generally safe on rubber but I have not tried it in this application so YMMV.