Suggestions on bullbar/front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at putting bullbars on our 80s this fall for the upcoming "large ungulate vs vehicle" season, and have looked at the following:

Slee
ARB
TJM

It seems like I've been through a lot of posts searching for other brands to consider. I simply want upgraded crash protection, and some deer resistance. I like the ARB the best because it has the upper structure to help mitigate deer damage - especially the hoops out around the headlamps. Not sure if I can get the part that goes back past the fender flares here in the US, but I'd like to.

Anyhow, any other solid front end protection bumpers for the 80 out there available off the shelf?

I also like the Road Armor stuff, but they don't make an 80 version. A guy here in town who drives his F350 60,000 miles/year has one and he hits a half dozen deer and about 2 elk a year (territory is Idaho/Montana/Wyoming). He showed me a couple of bone and hoof mars on the finish of his current one (has had a couple previously). Stout stuff.

DougM

I'm voting for the ARB; lots of stories of saving the '80 in all kinds of mishaps.

One of my favourite ARBs is the one AMMO cut all the tubes off of, and painted flat gray. Tempted to do the same .. ;)

TY

IdahoDoug - remember dude, I've hit 4 deer in 4+ years... all with ARBs. While other bumpers may offer slightly better approach angle for wheeling I went back to ARB.

ARB for critter plowing. Remember those things were intended to be used against big Roo's. I understand that if you hit a Emu just right you'll get a nice dent in the middle of the bonnet.

:D

I simply want upgraded crash protection, and some deer resistance. I like the ARB the best because it has the upper structure to help mitigate deer damage - especially the hoops out around the headlamps. Not sure if I can get the part that goes back past the fender flares here in the US, but I'd like to.

Doug -

Deer (and logging trucks) are a constant problem here in NE Calif, and I went with ARB for the reason you stated - especially the hoops out around the headlamps - not only for collision protection, but as a mounting surface for screening to protect the headlamps from the crap the trucks throw off.

Not sure if I can get the part that goes back past the fender flares here in the US, but I'd like to.

The side rail bar that ARB makes is integrated into their side step... it's all one piece (that's how it was explained to me), and has not been imported for a while. I had a fabricator set up to make one, but he sat on my $$$ all summer with nothing to show for it, so I had to nix the deal - so still looking for a solution for side protection.

Cheers, R -

landtank said:
You might want to rethink that one as the running board/sliders that come with it are pretty cheesey.

Might be able to bend up your own tubing to link between the arb and some good sliders. Keeps the critters from wrecking the front 1/4 panels as they wrap around you when you impact them. Could be helpful on the trail as well.
JonB

jonb96150 said:
Might be able to bend up your own tubing to link between the arb and some good sliders. Keeps the critters from wrecking the front 1/4 panels as they wrap around you when you impact them. Could be helpful on the trail as well.
JonB

Hmmm, not so sure about that with only a single bar. Their original design goal was brush protection, I believe, not for animal strikes.

ARB all the way. I just came back from a weekend fishing trip in Ft. Bragg, CA and while up there I saw alot more of the locals are running the ARB's on their trucks, (including non Toyota's). Not surprising since all the deer and lookie loo tourists causing head on accidents.

A few Reunel bumpers too, but mostly ARB's.

Dan,

Heard the same thing about the Emus - that the dent looks like a question mark from the shape of their head <grin>. At least they don't suffer.

I agree with the ARB opinions, and I think they have the strongest protection at the tips due to the added structure of the upper hoops and center posts. I don't care at all about the best approach angles or winch mounts, really. If I can't get a fully locked 80 through, over or around something then I'm doing something wrong that a bumper won't cure.

Hope it doesn't sound callous, but I'm basically interested in making an already stout front end into a bit of a hardened structure in case someone crosses the center line, or a depressed deer elects to commit vehicle assisted suicide. So frequently, we're towing back from the lake at night and my wife is asleep in the front passenger seat. I can see the faces of my sleeping children back there in the mirror and every time an oncoming vehicle appears on those dark secondary roads I try to draw a fine line between keeping track of their driving and accepting the headlamp glare it entails. I'm the only one awake and I will feel better with a bit more structural steel up there in the event Mr. Murphy comes a'callin...

The TJM doesn't seem to be very stout, and I love Christo's bumper but it doesn't have the upper or outer structures. So, ARB is still top banana, eh??

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
....I love Christo's bumper but it doesn't have the upper or outer structures. So, ARB is still top banana, eh??

DougM

You could always just have a shop weld up custom pcs that build off the centre hoop, and extend around to the side edge of Slee's bumper.

TY

With a decent set of sliders it really wouldn't be that hard to fab your own side protection from an ARB to said sliders. Anyone (excluding me) with semi-functional fabbing skills could probably accomplish it no prob. Course out east I personally wouldn't want it cause it would make what are at the moment tight wheelin squeezes impossible.

skyshark186 said:
Boy ohhh boy does it make a lot of feathers when you hit six turkeys on an abandoned dirt road at 80 :D

Turkey the 3rd white meat. :D

And if you don't get it I ain't tellin. :flipoff2:

I'd pick the ARB over the TJM any day of the week.

The question of ARB vs. Slee comes down to hard core wheeling. If you're not banging super hard on rocks with your 80, then ARB would be the way to go.

I have an ARB on mine and am leaning toward the Slee (without the hoop) for the wife's. I don't want hers to look too extreme, but I will want the functionality of a very good bumper when I "inherit" it.

Doug,
I also purchased the ARB non-winch style bumper recently from Slee, pretty much for family protection. My LC sees mostly family duty (90%) so I did LOTS of research before I came to my decision. The only "test" I have to compare was when my wife was at the wheel and she MANGLED a shopping cart at Target :doh: Not so much as a scratch :beer:

I am really impressed with the strength of the ARB. I was also pleasantly suprised at the fit and finish...it is a quality piece!! I do notice the weight on the front end in terms of acceleration and also suspension feel (OEM) - minor tradeoff, IMHO.

I don't think that you would ever regret buying the ARB.

I am running the ARB with the knock off side protection/steps. (One of the other suppliers started fabbing up a knockoff of the ARB side bars after they quit importing) I like the side protection a lot, as in shopping carts o, cruiser 3.
One of the guys in LSLC is running slee sliders and had a fabricator make up a set of sides that attach to the ARB and then to a bracket welded to the sliders, best of both worlds. I like that solution better because the step mounting tubes hang way down and act as rock catchers if I don't pick the right line. On the plus side they are strong and just wider than the rear wheels so I have used them to pivot the truck around a rock. If the side step clears then so do the tires/wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom