Suggestions for long trip with a new (used) LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I've frequented this board (lurking) for some time, and registered today (hiya!) after purchasing an '86 FJ60 this very week. It's in cherry shape, looking fantastic after spending it's life in Florida and owned by the original owner (until now that is:)) It has 150k, remains stock, and has been well taken care of; the price was too good to turn down. Did I mention that it's in really nice shape, looking almost new in and out? Can 'ya tell I'm excited? :)

At any rate, I'm in Virginia, and this is one of those distance buys, and have not seen it personally as of yet save for extensive pic's, and having it checked out otherwise as well (came out ok for anything major).

Having said all that, I'm flying down to the Ft. Lauderdale area to pick her up next Friday, with the intention of driving back here to Virginia over the weekend-a trip of about 1000 miles exactly.

As you guys are the experts and I'm a LC newby, I wanted to inquire with you as to what I might want to bring with me in terms of any spares, troubleshooting aids, etc. that you would consider essential or at least desired to have on that trip just-in-case (bear in mind I'm flying down one-way, and pointy objects are kinda frowned on these days:)...perhaps maybe picking up a few things someplace down there or on the way even?)

Though I'm new to Landcruisers, I'm fairly mechanically inclined if that makes a difference, and can change carbs, do tune ups, etc. (I doubt I'll ever attempt to swap an engine/tranny or similarly complex things though.)

Tips or suggestions greatfully received-thanks!

Regards,

Cruc

(Forgive me, but I also posted this an another LC board to try and get as much info as folks may be willing to give. If this is a no no, I'll delete this post-tks.)

Re: Suggestions for long trip with a new (used) LC

spare fuses and a backup plan :D
check tires and brakes.

shouldnt be as bad as driving an unknown 40 that distance, but be prepared for the possibility of towing it home. Bring a cell phone and triple A card.
I drove my 40 6 hours when I got it, next day when I drove it the light fuse blew. Got lucky. Kind of wished I had rented a tow trailer at the end of the trip, with the wind whistling through the top, driving 50-55 on the freeway. Should be a fun trip. enjoy your cruiser. :beer:

Join the cruiser assistance Club( free) on this board. This allows other cruiser fans to help each other. More details when you get to the section. I have enrolled but unfortunately not have been updated yet( 6weeks already). Bring flashlight. maybe join AAA. Write down a list of questions for the owner( because you will forget to ask some questions) ex. what was recently replaced with dates or miles,any tricks making things work outside of normal operations, Last oil change, chasis greased, birfield greased,diff. oil changed or topped off. Last plug change. Last dis. wire and rotor change.etc.etc.etc.
This way if you have to troubleshoot anything you will not have to open everything up.( assuming his info was right). Before going on the road trip get some papertowels and some hand cleaner (just in case you gotta get dirty) and some water and soap (so you don't have to smell like handcleaner). Also bring a old disposable shirt and pants( just in case you gotta get under the truck). pick up an old cardboard box before the long road trip for you to lay on just in case you gotta get under. (easier to slide under without getting too dirty). Bring metric sockets with varying extensions or buy a cheap set when you get there. Buy PB blaster or Liquid Wrench to anticipate stuck bolts( you will eventually use it). If I think of anything else I'll update. Just getting tired of typing. Have a safe trip. good luck. hope to hear from you when you get the cruiser for your reviews and your problems :G( if any).

Aside from the normal, belts, hoses etc. 150k miles is nothing for a well taken care of toyota. Check fluid levels, brakes, lights and yes the cell phone and I would say your in good shape to go. I have seen and have had many Toyotas go well over 200k without an overhaul, extremely reliable even when beat up.

I would think that if the vehicle was the previous owner's daily driver it will probably make it just fine.
You can take all the tools you can pack, just put it in your checked baggage. I fly allover with several cases of tools with no problem.
Be sure and check stuff like belts and hoses.
I'll bet a 6 pack you'll make it home without a hitch.
Paul

Bring, or purchase a metric socket set. 10,12,14,17 mm at least for sockets and wrenches. Have the owner change all the fluids, at his or your cost. Bring all Belts and hoses. A mulitmeter wouldn't be a bad thing either. Check the spare and make sure youve got a jack and a lug wrench etc.

Other than that, welcome newbie :slap:

Congraduation on you purchase, and hope everything goes well.

If you want peace of mind, take it to an AAA mechanic for a once over and a lube/fluid change before hitting the road. Bring extra coolant, oil, brake fluid, baling wire, duct tape, some wrenches, screwdrivers, and maybe a Haynes or Toyota manual. Oh, and join AAA and bring your credit card, ha ha, just in case you have to spring for a Motel 6!

But, if you just take care of her, shouldn't be a problem. :G

And as for doing your own work, once you get it home, don't rule out the "complex things," they're not that hard. The first instance of maintenance I did on my first car in high school was an oil change--I did it wrong, the drain plug came out (not tight enough) and I wound up seizing the engine. Well, the second maintenance I did was swap in another engine--this time, I did everything correctly. And this was in a Peugeot (they always gotta be different, even in car design). My point is, if you are thoughtful, organized, and patient, you can do it all yourself, and with a Cruiser you'll wind up WANTING to do it all yourself.

Good luck! Tell us how the road trip goes.

These guys pretty much covered everything. But I had to tell you what happened to me on the 8 hr drive back from picking up my 40. Luckily, my cruiser is the seventh in the family (my personal 2nd) so my brother and I were a bit familiar.

After 7 hrs of averaging 65-70 MPH all the sudden the engine had no power and my heart dropped. I pulled off the side of the freeway and coasted to a stop. My bro. and I scope it out and I notice a little piece of cable beneath the pedals... the accelerator cable had broken. So we're looking all over the side of the freeway for a piece of string or wire or something that we could jury rig it with so we could get it to a local store to get something better to jury rig it with. My bro. jokingly shouts "if we had a piece of brake cable from a bike, it'd work great." Just then I look down the embankment and see a couple of guys smoking weed (they called them poor man's cigarettes, but I knew better). I ran down there and asked if they had a piece so string or wire and one of them looks all around and says, "sorry dude, your outa luck unless you can use a brake cable from a bike, I got one of those kicking around."

Anyway. We used that and got it running, and I actually ran on it for about three months until I finally got a new cable from SOR.
I'll agree with Jman. Don't rule out working on your cruiser yourself. There are somethings I don't do myself because I don't have the time or tools needed. But my brothers and I have replaced three toyota engines together over the years. If you have a little help and some tools to help you lift the heavy stuff, it really isn't too bad. Cruisers are pretty basic in comparison to others. Thats my two cents.
Take some basic tools, a cell phone if you have one, and a wife if you have one of those... the trip with my brother and wife to pick up my cruiser was a lot of fun. My wife would like me to find another one, just so we can have another road trip... of course it helped that I picked up my cruiser in the Aspen CO area. :) Have fun, you'll love owning a landcruiser.

My bro. jokingly shouts "if we had a piece of brake cable from a bike, it'd work great." Just then I look down the embankment and see a couple of guys smoking weed (they called them poor man's cigarettes, but I knew better). I ran down there and asked if they had a piece so string or wire and one of them looks all around and says, "sorry dude, your outa luck unless you can use a brake cable from a bike, I got one of those kicking around."

I think I know your weed-smoking angels! At the time, they appeared in NJ Parks Department sanitation uniforms and led us about 15 miles to another park to show me and my kids (in my FJ60) the way to a super swimming hole on the hottest day of the year last summer. We called them, simply, "The Dudes." Legend has it that they are particularly fond of Cruiser owners!

Bless those Dudes!

oh yea, make sure the spare comes down. My 88 Fj62 w 201k had the winch mech. rusted stuck. Took a reciprocating saw to bring it down and threw it in the back. Hopefully you won't get a flat but its nice to know that you can use the spare. There are tools are found in the drivers rear quarter panel (jack,wrenches,screwdriver,etc). Make sure you get it from the owner, he might have stored it outside of the car and forgot about them.archie

Make sure you've got a cell phone with you. Check over the basics before you go (belts, hoses, fluid levels, etc.), and carry water & coolant with you. I would carry spare belts and duct tape, but that's probably pushing it. If it's got the factory tool kit, you should be OK.

Oh yeah, make sure the spare tire winch is working properly, and the spare tire is useable. Spray the winch with white lithium grease.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond-good stuff here!

My short list for the LC:

-Spare belt kit (all of 'em-I'll use them eventually anyway)
-Spare radiator hose kit (ditto)
-Fuses
-Modest tool 'kit' (thanks for suggested socket sizes!)
-Wallet (with cc of course...also car insurance has a roadside assistance rider on it, so I should be okay I reckon)
-Cell phone
-Haynes manual
-Duct tape (ya never know)
-A can of BG44K to run though (a road trip is an ideal time to use I reckon)
-CD's (gotta have tuneage, and thankfully, it has a CD player)

(Also, thanks for the suggestions about the spare-I had forgotten that as well.)

I figured I'd pick up when down there the spare fluids. While I won't have time to get it checked out mechanically again, I will of course be able to check it out myself before handing over the final check. Depending on the condition of the fluids, I may or may not stop and get them all changed otw (gotta be back in time for Mother's day on Sunday-you all did remember that didn't you? 8) )

I gotta admit-I'm excited about taking a long road trip, doubly so in a new to me LC with tune-age:D

Thanks again-I'll let everyone know how it turned out (and post a pic or two).

Cruc

I did this a year ago, transported an FJ62 from Austin TX to Vermont for a friend. I'm about to do the same thing again in a few weeks, driving a truck home to NH from Colorado.

What I did that worked well was to get a decent 16" toolbox which I filled as full as I could with all the tools I could think of that I might need. Then in my baggage I had a big Rand-McNally Road Atlas, a bunch of CDs, GPS, cell phone charger, and the latest CAC printout. When I got to the airport, I checked the toolbox at the counter, I opened it and showed them what was inside, then snapped a padlock on it and duct-taped it closed for safety. United had no problem with checking it as Heavy baggage.

When I got in the truck at the airport, I asked at the parking lot exit where the closest Super WalMart was. I went and bought a jug of pre-mixed coolant, a jug of water, a couple quarts of oil, a roll of blue shop towels, and a bunch of munchies. Except for getting pulled over for no plate lights, I had no mechanical issues the entire trip.

Oh yea, Lay off the radio for the first hour of driving. This way you can distinguish the varying sounds the vehicle makes and thus find out later whether the funny sound your hearing is normal or something is out of whack. Try to "be one with the truck" because it is a spiritual experience :D. Happy trails and have a safe journey.

Thanks Archie-the Allman Bros, etc. (traveling music:)) will wait for an hour or two for that very reason.

I'm picking her up Friday morning-woohoo! The only complaint I have is that airfare was only $80 bucks from DC to Ft. Lauderdale, an I'm almost sure I'll use more than that in gas on the way home 8) At least the drive will be easy enough, Rt. 95 from Lauderdale area all the way-and that wasn't enough to overcome the guilt I felt about scheming to buy a GPS that I've had an eye on . Oh well, maybe next time. (I'll stay away from the fabled 4000rpm line too.)

I've attached a pic of her (and somehow saying 'she', like a good boat/ship/yacht does seem to toll off the tongue well).

Cruc

Hell, dude, you won't even make it out of Gatorland on $80 of gas! MPG will be anywhere between 10 and 17, depending on state of the truck.

But dang that's a nice looking truck. Good luck, post a trip report when you're done!  :G

The only complaint I have is that airfare was only $80 bucks from DC to Ft. Lauderdale,

Hey you could have gone 1st or business class, if such things exist... :flipoff2:
oh and drink a glass of champagne as well while you're at it ;)

take care,

after 2 driving trips to FL from Chicago, be careful about the police in Georgia and fill up there before you leave because it is slightly cheaper. Don't forget to figure out the MPG of the vehicle at this time and see how your later performance tune ups changes it's efficiency.have a fun time in the sun(hope AC works) :dunno:.

Well, I made it okay, though it took much longer than I thought (29 hours!). Yea sure, some of it was because I stopped for a few hours of sleep, meals, breaks, and of course, the tool outlet in North Carolina:)

After arriving at the wholesaler (who acquired it from the original owner via auction....something I actually felt a littel more secure with than just some person I have even less recourse to) , a thorough inspection determined that it seemed well taken care of for the most part. Initial observations:

-the body wasn't perfect, and had a dent or two, though the paint looked great anyway for the most part. No big deal, and the vehicle still looks very nice. The pics sure hide the small dents well though specifically because the paint was in such good shape-lesson learned.
-the stock interior was in pretty good shape, but kinda dirty. The headliner needs cleaning, and is drooping in one spot and has a small rip in another-hopefully correctable. Carpet intact, but certainly past it's day...needs replacement.
-rear hatch lock there but not locking, nor does the key turn it. Hmm.
-fuel gauge intermittantly working. Hopefully correctable, and maybe by default if the vehicle hasn't had the gas tank recalll done.
-stereo installed poorly. Certainly correctable.
-a/c works, but not too cold.
-almost new Michelin's, estimate 80% left! Spare is entirely new.
-new radiator, alternator, battery, tuneup and fluids all around.
-brakes are in great shape and work well.
-suspension including shocks seem intact; ride is compliant.
-steering has a tendency to wander a bit, though not to one side or the other. A bit of looseness also noted-will see if it can be adjusted.
-clutch works well, but seems almost to take too little effort than what I expected. Maybe this one has what I've seen referred to as a clutch booster in the manual?
-no obvious leaks anywhere, no evidence of any rust anywhere.

Overall, a few things need attention-about what I thought. In taking it for a test drive, it ran well, but afterwards I discovered that the fuel pump was leaking slightly from the (what I now know anyway) to be the weep hole at a rate of a drop a second-not acceptable, and maybe even dangerous. A fairly thorough check could not come up with a replacement OEM in the area, and I was not going to stay until one was found, so a compromise was reached that they would install an electric one to get me home. They did, and it worked especially well at highway speeds, but appeared to flood at idle and made it hard to start down the road at times.

No matter-it's enough to start home. Not trusting the fuel gauge, I stopped at 200 miles for the first fuel stop....mileage was 14.78 this hop.

Unfortunately by that time, it was rush hour on Friday in Ft. Lauderdale, so it took sometime to get out of the area. By midnight I passed Daytona, and on to my second fillup. Mileage increased to 15.34 for that hop.

Around 1:30am I got tired, and started looking for the next rest area in GA (just passed one after passing the stateline sometime ago). Stopped for fuel again, put in the BFG44k this time, and the engine ran a bit rough for sometime afterwards. Mileage for this hop about the same as last.

Well, a big FU to the GA State rest area committee-there wasn't another one the whole state on 95 past that first one (100 miles!) and I had to wait until entering South Carolina to find the next @3AM! I was not pleased.

Crawled in the back for some sleep at 3:30am, woke up around 8am sweating-it's hot already! Stopped for breakfast, filled up again (remember, I'm not trusting the gauge so each time I'm going farther and farther..this time 230 miles. I figured I could get more than 300, but no sense in pushing it and I needed breaks anyway). Mileage dropped down to 14.13 this time....probably the BG44k stuff working it's way through the system.

Stopped a few times more for breaks...it's hot and the a/c is barely working in the heat. The truck is hard to start a few times, stalls at slow speeds in others-I suspect the electric fuel pump is putting too much pressure (no regulator installed for it either), or that since the installed one didn't have a return pipe to hook up to...or something.

The transfer case is a bit noisy at speed though not too much so, not sure if this normal yet.

Eventually.....made it home to northern Virginia at 10PM Saturday night, very tired. Mileage averaged out to 14.5 or so...hopefully I can get that a bit better. Not a drop of oil was burned, and in fact the oil was as clean as when I left Florida.

It looks good in my driveway:) Now to get on to adding a few things like window tint and alarm, as well as fixing a few other things like the fuel pump, stereo, hatch lock, etc.

A couple of questions if I could:

1. Should I keep the electric fuel pump and just add a regulator and put a block where the mechanical one went or replace the mechanical one? If so, what should be done to the return gas line? Any recommended regulators, or maybe even electric fuel pumps with a return? (I don't plan on fording anything that high as this will be more of a daily driver than anything.)

2. The tailgate lock seems to be all there, just that the key doesn't turn the lock (it closes and opens fine). The inside button won't press down either to lock internally, and I don't see much of anything obvious missing in looking at the assembly. Is there maybe a different key I'm missing perhaps? Or more likely, is there a source for replacement lock assemblies other than the ones I've seen for a whopping $114 at SOL?

3. The area under the center console seems to get quite hot-I can't touch some of the metal more than a couple of seconds after driving for sometime. Is this normal? (I figured I'd update the heat insulation when the carpet will be replaced anyway to reduce heat and noise, but want to make sure nothing I'm not aware of is overly wrong.)

4. Yesterday, I found a rotary (unmarked) switch under the dash on the passenger side. In turning it all the way one way, I discovered that the a/c got remarkably cooler (woohoo!) While I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, what is this switch?

5. I seem to hear an electric fan running slowing, seeming to come from behind the dash and slowing stopping when the vehicle is turned off. Nothing seems wrong, and this doesn't seem to be the secondary blower in the engine compartment either (which I haven't heard running at all yet). Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Cruc

Wow, sounds like a relatively painless trip! Congrats! Nothing out of the ordinary in what you describe. Mileage pretty good too--might get better with a full tuneup. To answer your questions:

1. I'm a big fan of mechanical pumps--simple, OEM pump is $90 and will operate with care for another 150k miles--why not just do it? (By the way, that leaky pump might have put some gas into your crankcase oil, so you might want to change your oil since it's viscosity is reduced.)

2. Is key slot horizontal, or vertical? If horizontal, maybe lock is just frozen open, try soaking all moving parts in penetrant; if vertical, sounds like it's totally f**ked.

3. Hot metal there is pretty normal, especially after long highway drives--check out exhaust routing and you'll see why.

4. If it's blue, that rotary switch is supposed to bump up the engine idle when the AC compressor turns on. How'd you find it so quickly? Took me ages.

5. The radiator fan has a clutch that causes it to engage when engine compartment rises above certain temp--that causes a whoosing, jet-engine type sound. The hair-dryer like blower pointed at your carb is the carb cooling fan, which should come on after you switch the truck off--it cools the area around the carb to prevent boiling the gas out of the carb, and if it's not working, you might have problems starting a hot truck back up (which sounds like what is happening).

Anyway, the starting procedures is: with a cold engine, pump pedal twice, pull choke all the way out, start truck--reduce choke in stages as truck warms up; with a warm engine, press pedal down and hold down, start truck without choke. In both instances, truck should start pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom