Suggestions for load bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sammybones

Study in Moppishness
Threads
I'm going to replace my factory roof rack. I don't need a rack or basket just load bars for my canoe. So far all I can find are the ones from Rhino Rack. Ideally I'd like them to sit up a little higher than the Rhino Rack load bars do. Any suggestion would be most appreciated.:)

Yakima also has a universal fit load bar that attached to the stock side rails. I ran a set for awhile before I got a full rack and they were indeed higher.
The Rhino set is not a bad choice at all though.

Run Yakima Lowriders and the factory rails.

IMG_0512.JPG

I want to get rid of my factory rails because I broke the covers getting the canoe on and off. I don't want to replace the covers only to break them off again.

IMG_4579.JPG
I've got the Rhino Rack load bars and I'm totally happy with them . I think they actually make risers to make the bars sit higher. If not it would be pretty simple to fab some up yourself .

I agree with IBWOZ, go with Rhino Rack as I have one myself and it is very good with the option of risers to make it as high as you desire. I have experience with Yakima and Thule also but RR is better quality although more expensive.

I had the Rhino Rack Vortex system with the RLCP legs. The front bar will use the factory points that are slightly behind the B-pillar, not the front-most mounting points in front of the B-pillar, inline with the sunroof. They purposely did that to lessen stress next to the sunroof. (If you pull up the roof trim you'll see the extra mounting points.) So, the front bar will be farther rearward than where your factory rack mounts now, FYI.

I'm changing over to a full-length rack (Gamiviti) so I can give my 17' canoe the widest possible mounting footprint, and also be able to load it from the rear without having to lift it off the ground. The rear bar of the Gamiviti should be rearward enough so the canoe won't hit the rear roof line while loading from the rear. I'm always loading the canoe alone, my kids are small.

The basic Gamiviti is around $1k but the 3-bar Vortex package was still ~$550 with the drawbacks stated above. Hope this info helps.

- Jim

@sammybones I'm just curious, why do you want it higher? I paddle a lot (2 16' canoes and a 17' kayak), I'm 6'4", and I still sometimes need help getting it on/off the factory roof. If I got a taller rack I'd need a box to stand on to load it alone.

I load up the canoe by myself most of the time. I had load bars on my 62 and they sat up high. When I go to load up the canoe I set the front end of the canoe up on the rear load bar and if the load bar sits up high enough the canoe won't rub the roof of the truck.

Does that make sense? I hope I explained it properly.

I load up the canoe by myself most of the time. I had load bars on my 62 and they sat up high. When I go to load up the canoe I set the front end of the canoe up on the rear load bar and if the load bar sits up high enough the canoe won't rub the roof of the truck.

Does that make sense? I hope I explained it properly.
Makes sense. I've dinged my brake light a few times with a thwart while loading, so I know exactly what you mean.

Currently I load mine from the side. I balance it level (upside down over my head), then lift one gunnel and set it on the roof rail, then slide the whole boat up. It's not the best, but it works.

If you want to dump the stock stuff and run load bars only then I think the Rhino is indeed the best set up.

(Full disclosure, I may be a bit biased as Rhino just donated a $1200 gift certificate and 2x Sunseeker awnings for the raffle at Cruise Moab last week! Go Rhino!)

I haven't tried the side load method. I have a Mad River 16 and its quite heavy. Picking it up over my head while balancing seems like it would be more difficult. I'm not a body builder or anything but I am quite fit. Oh, and sexy as hell for you ladies out there:D

Do all three Rhino bars sit at the same level on the roof?

Do all three Rhino bars sit at the same level on the roof?
I run their work load bars as opposed to their aero bars, and load a large Magiolina tent with 3 sets of fasterners. It sits level accross the three bars.

I swapped to those from Yakima bars/towers with artifical rain gutters. I appreciate that steel bars can be bent back into shape but they're just more weight up top. If I break one aluminum Rhino rack I can get by on two.

Actually RR makes a side boat loader too .

Anyone have pics with a RTT on the Rhino Bars? I want to mount a Tepui Ayer tent. I currently do not have the stock rack. Been looking at multiple options

Lots of discussion about this on this on an earlier thread.

Yakima Lock n Load Roof Rack

I also want to replace the factory rack with load bars. The Yakima option is a nice way to go as well. I contacted Peter (peter@roofrack.com.au) in Australia and he promptly got back with pricing. I just need to pull the trigger. I was thinking I only wanted two bars instead of three. Would attach at the B and D points. Two bars with mounts and shipping comes to $404.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom