Suggestions for FJ45lp drivers seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey 45 owners, I am working on a friends 1965 Fj45 long bed.
It has the stock vents and driver seat. The driver seat springs are completely blown out. It is extremely uncomfortable with zero support.
He wants to recover the seats so now is the time to do something about the driver seat.
I want something that kind of looks stock, but it’s actually manageable to sit in.
Right now when you sit in it, you wind up very very low, with your ass rolling around on every corner.

Thought? Suggestions? Anecdotes ?

The Specter Off Road high density foam is pricey, but well worth the effort when reupholstering the seats. I did this on my 74 FJ40 as well
I also raised the seat mounts 2” so my knees were at 90 degrees and square to the floor. Major improvement on long hauls IMHO
Cheers 🍻

They make good foam for sure.
BUT, the foam sits on the springs. The springs are all broken.

I believe a good upholstery shop can replace or repair the springs. They will also have some more replacement foam options.

So you guys want me to keep the 1960’s seat instead of upgrading to a “modern” seat from say FJ60 or even a more late model fj45?

That's not what I said. I answered the issue you posted up. I have a 78' that had a decent original seat in it when purchased. I tossed it for a 79' and newer seat that I had over stuffed and mounted it about 4" inches higher than the original seat to get a comfortable leg position. I have no regrets in doing this modification. I drove the truck 3300 miles round trip to Ouray last year with no comfort issues to report.

I see.
Yah the later model seats are a much better design not relying on a bed of coil springs but rather mostly foam.
Hmmmmm.
I might try to see how well an FJ60 seat fits with the stock passenger “bench”.

Brian,
Do you actually fit in a long bed?
I know it’s not yours but I had to ask.
Look up Mikers thread. He put aftermarket seats in his.

It’s awful. But damn it’s a good looking truck.
I fit in my 79 series just fine. Too bad it took Toyota till 1999 to make a land cruiser pickup that someone over 6’ can sit in comfortably.

I saw Mikers rig; but I want seats that look like (or are) Toyota. Something that looks like it belongs.

Here’s what my setup looks like. Please excuse the dust. The picture was taken after 4 days of trail riding out of Ouray last year at SAS.

D2238818-665C-4337-81D3-DA4780142444.jpeg
40A3BE29-5D89-4E95-9F38-43986561D561.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom