suggestions anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cantinero

Yo soy un pirata!
Threads
Website
www.piratasoffroad.com
I posted this on the main forum lastnight and I have only received only one response. I was hoping one of you might know what I should do and how I should go about it.

Original post:
When I bought my 62 a few months ago I knew the passenger side door wouldn't open. The PO said his "girlfriend slammed it in the heat of an argument and from that point on it never opened again". :doh: Angry women and doors don't mix...

Anyway he had removed the key lock by prying it out it looks like, and from the looks of it he has used a pry bar on the inside of the vehicle as well. I removed the front seat and was able to get the inner door panel off so I could see what is going on. It has PDLs and they work as I can see the lock linkage move, also it is missing the linkage for the interior manual door lock. The door handle linkage works as well and it all moves, but the door won't open. I am ready to get a door shell and take a cutting wheel to the exisiting door to get at the hinges and the lock mechanisim. Does anyone have a suggestion or is someone familiar with body work and what to do in this situation?
End Post:

So maybe one of you guys have an idea. The suggestion I got was to take the inner panel off again and air chisel the portion of the U shaped latch that the lock hasp catches on. I didn't even think this was visible while the door was closed. Plus it is a tight fit to be getting an numatic chisel in there to do this I would think. I welcome any ideas before I throw a door cutting party with lots of sparks and beer.

D

It really didn't bother me if it didn't open, but the girlfriend is getting a little tired of the driver side crawl though she has to do. So in order for me to take it to Mexico in October I need to have this done or we take the Mazda Protege. :crybaby:

when the po's girl slammed the door, did some linkage become disconnected? peel off the driver's side skin and see what's different, if you haven't already. good luck. what kind of beer is going to be at the party?

The linkages attach to the mechanisms with plastic clips, in the desert they dry out and fail. Operating the handles can you feel the mechanisms, are all the rods hooked up?

rightlane said:
when the po's girl slammed the door, did some linkage become disconnected? peel off the driver's side skin and see what's different, if you haven't already. good luck. what kind of beer is going to be at the party?

I know for a fact the linkage from the inside door lock that pops up through the inner door panel is missing. Plus were he ripped the outside key lock off I'm sure that linkage is missing as well. I can also reach my hand in and manually flip the linkage between the lock and open position on the inside of the door when the inner door panel is removed. I know that there might be more to this as the other doors have that child saftey feature that the door won't open if the lock is in the locked position when pulling on the door handle from the inside. I guess I need to look more into how that functions. I hate other people's headaches that they create and leave for the next owner!

BTW it would be what ever beer of choice you would want. I have a kegerator with multiple slides and sankeys so If we can agree on a beer I can tap any keg I want. I also have a very nice jockey box for those mobile events / overnite camp trips. :beer:

Tools R Us said:
The linkages attach to the mechanisms with plastic clips, in the desert they dry out and fail. Operating the handles can you feel the mechanisms, are all the rods hooked up?

As far as I can tell handle and the linkage are all working. I can see the lock mechanisim parts move when I operate the handle from the inside. It just won't release the hasp to open the door.

Thought: I wonder if when he tried to pry the door open from the inside (noticible bend in the door frame and jam) if he didn't jam the hasp into the U shape catch piece and it won't release now.

i am betting on a bent or otherwise stuck striker,,,,hmm

OH YEAH!!! FAT TIRE IN A KEGERATOR WOULD HIT THE SPOT,,,MMMMMMMMM FAT TIRE

Mine did the same thing after these damn Fillipino teachers hitched a ride and slammed the door because "it is old" (they walk now) - anyway - took the door panel off from the inside and the plastic piece was cracked and DOA - I can go take a picture if ya need it - but the one metal rod had fallen off the the door handle and then jammed so it would not budge - I JB welded it back together and presto - PM me if ya need pic's

RHINO said:
i am betting on a bent or otherwise stuck striker,,,,hmm

OH YEAH!!! FAT TIRE IN A KEGERATOR WOULD HIT THE SPOT,,,MMMMMMMMM FAT TIRE

Yeah, after kinda thinking about this and how much abuse the poor thing probably took at the hands of her PO and the pry bar. I'm kinda thinking the same thing now. It would make sense since the linkage moves, that this would be the problem.

WITH THAT THEORY AT HAND; HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING IT UNSTUCK & OPEN. BETTER YET HOW DO I BEGIN TO TEST THIS TO SEE IF THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG?

Oh and where were you RHINO 5 years ago when I worked for the distributor that sold Fat Tire to the AZ market? Those kegs aren't cheap, but then again I love the beer too! Actually the Trippel is my favorite of the bunch; man I miss those days. I can call a favor or two in from my former associates and probably get one for dirt cheap if a cutting party comes about.

freightdog said:
Mine did the same thing after these damn Fillipino teachers hitched a ride and slammed the door because "it is old" (they walk now) - anyway - took the door panel off from the inside and the plastic piece was cracked and DOA - I can go take a picture if ya need it - but the one metal rod had fallen off the the door handle and then jammed so it would not budge - I JB welded it back together and presto - PM me if ya need pic's

I think I know what you're talking about freightdog, but pictures might help. You can send them to me at my work account. God knows I have more space there then I know what to do with. dgriffiths@smpiservices.com

Cantinero said:
I can call a favor or two in from my former associates and probably get one for dirt cheap if a cutting party comes about.

dgriffiths@smpiservices.com

when and where :beer:

i think if you laid down accross the seat and give it a good kick or two it might pop open, maybe with a 2x running accross the door so you dont dent it too bad. you cant be too far from me so we could get together sometime and figure it out.

Cantinero said:
It really didn't bother me if it didn't open, but the girlfriend is getting a little tired of the driver side crawl though she has to do. So in order for me to take it to Mexico in October I need to have this done or we take the Mazda Protege. :crybaby:

I don't have a technical solution, but have you thought about having her in the back seat :)

medtro said:
I don't have a technical solution, but have you thought about having her in the back seat :)

That's a good one. Literally or figuratively? ;)

All joking aside on this, and before I get into trouble here. Yes, she has sat in the back once. I felt like a chauffeur, I couldn't imagine the drive to Rocky Point and around town for the weekend, and then back to PHX. It would be a nightmare sequel to Driving Miss Dasiy. I know it is sad to say, but I think driving the mazda would be better then that. I just can't take the Mazda up "Competion Hill" and light off fireworks.:frown:

OK I might have a ps door in good condition lined up for $125 total w/ shipment. Just need to find out the last little details and then we need to schedule the cutting party.

D

from the last post on the 60/62 thread, if you can cut the nuts from inside the b pillar, try tapping the bolts toward the door from inside and then throwing 240 lbs at it. it should roll right out of the pillar followed by you out of the door. cheers

rightlane said:
from the last post on the 60/62 thread, if you can cut the nuts from inside the b pillar, try tapping the bolts toward the door from inside and then throwing 240 lbs at it. it should roll right out of the pillar followed by you out of the door. cheers

I am going to pull it back apart this weekend and take a look at just what is there and how much room I have. I am thinking that there is going to be some meat there that these bolts thread into with the abuse that that nader bolt goes through opening and closing the door on it. Otherwise when I have put my 240lbs against the door it should have gone already. I am a little concerned about getting the right angle to the bolts to drill them and tap them through. If the angle is not right then I will be screwed when I go to retap the holes for new bolts if it comes to that. I wonder if I come in from the read door side of the pillar and drop 2 little holes in it opposite from the bolts, so I can get the correct angle to drill them, if that will compromise the structal integrity of the pillar too much. I guess I can always come back in and lay a few beads down and fill them with a mig welder on monday when I get into the shop. Any thoughts on this?

Cutting Party Update!

OK, I don't think I am going to have to take the cutting wheel to the door afterall. I pulled the b pillar trim off and I think I can get at the nader bolts to drill them out by going through the pillar from the backseat side of it. I ordered up the new lock mechanisim w/ some of the other missing parts (I hope I got them all) from cruiserparts.net and I hope they will be delivered this week so I can do this, this weekend. I gotta say cruiserparts.net was about half of what SOR wanted for the used parts and the same on S/H. SO pending parts delivery the cutting party has been changed to a "let's get drilled party". I know not quite as exciting as sparks flying and sheet metal falling off, but it is a little cheaper and 'maggie' gets to keep her original door. So if anyone is interested in lending some help or just moral support/laughter, I could use it.

rightlane said:
when/where?

Might be this weekend if the parts arrive. I will be at the meeting on friday and will let you all know then. The gf is out of town so it would be a goodtime to undertake this task. Just waiting on the parts now. My major cross roads are 67th Ave. & Peoria.

It L-i-i-i-i-ives!

After 30 minutes of touch and go surgery Maggie's door now opens and closes on demand! I want to thank all of those for their input & suggestions especially HJ60 (Jonathan), Yafreaka (Yashica), & RHINO (Clay). HJ60 I have saved the lock mechanisim for you for your autopsy report on it. I had to cut the hook part of it away to get the nader bolt out of it so that I could free it from the truck. I will say this I have learned alot from this and if anyone has this problem in the future I will step up and provide the info on how to fix it! Jonathan, I will get you the lock either at the next meeting or the trail clean up and I look forward to hearing your findings. Once again I want to thank Jonathan and Yashica for the time vested on friday night at the meet trying to get the door open. I didn't forget about you RHINO and you are welcome any time to share beers (fat tire) with me and I would like to pick your brain on quite a bit of that LC knowledge that you have. I also want to say hi to all the great folks I met friday night at the sonic meeting especially Maddbagins, accasbel, Steve, landcruiserphil, and Bman just to name a few.

Salud Amigos! :beer:
D

RHINO said:
pick my brain huh?? i hope you split a toothpic in 3rds, otherwise you wont get much ;)

Seriously, I listened to you Friday and when I get ready to do my lift and suspension work I hope your available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom