Suggestions and Tips for Parting Out a Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently learned that my 1982 BJ 60 has some rotten floor panels - not really interested in repairing it, especially in its condition, so I'm probably going to gut it. I may just sell it to another enthusiast as either a parts car or as a restoration project, let them know about all the rust damage, or just create a "Parting Out" thread. However, I'm not too familiar with the process. I am thinking about getting a new 60 series, and keeping some of the parts just in case I want to make some repairs. That being said, I don't know what to save, how to go about extracting the parts, how to sell it, or even if I should part it out myself or sell it to someone else. Any tips or suggestions on the process would be much appreciated.

If it's mainly floors, put for sale at a low enough price that you're happy taking, parting out is a long process. Plus these trucks are going up in value, better to save them than cut up just because of rust, helps people get into a truck they can restore and enjoy.

Don't part it out if you don't have the space, time or patience.

If it's mainly floors, put for sale at a low enough price that you're happy taking, parting out is a long process. Plus these trucks are going up in value, better to save them than cut up just because of rust, helps people get into a truck they can restore and enjoy.

Don't part it out if you don't have space, time, or patience.

As a buyer, I made the mistake of buying a car with rusted floors, which is something I wasn't willing to fix. How do I make sure the buyer is aware of the rust and is capable of fixing it (or responsible to pass it on to someone else later down the line)? The second I sell it, I lose control over it, so what are some tips for selling it? I want to make sure they know what they are getting into, and that they won't just scrap it if it doesn't work out for them.

As a buyer, I made the mistake of buying a car with rusted floors, which is something I wasn't willing to fix. How do I make sure the buyer is aware of the rust and is capable of fixing it (or responsible to pass it on to someone else later down the line)? The second I sell it, I lose control over it, so what are some tips for selling it? I want to make sure they know what they are getting into, and that they won't just scrap it if it doesn't work out for them.

Just point out the known rust and clearly state rust in pictures, that is all you can do. Try not to overthink it. You can't control next owners even if a vehicle is clean, you never know its fate unfortunately.

Ship all the diesel components to me - engine, tranny, fuel lines, tank etc. Hate for you have to continue to deal with it. I'll do you a favor and take that loud, foul smelling diesel off your hands at no charge. If if has a H55F, I'll be gracious enough to liberate that as well. :)

Last edited:
Ship all the diesel components to me - engine, tranny, fuel lines, tank etc. Hate for you have to continue to deal with it. I'll do you a favor and take that loud, foul smelling diesel off your hands at no charge. If if has a H55F, I'll be gracious enough to liberate that as well. :)

Do you have any pictures of the truck and or the rust? I am currently helping my neighbours kid fix the rust and make his BJ60 as sound as we can without a body off frame. Just shot the primer on the chassis after a month of fixing rust. If it is bad in the floor there may be a lot more. I might be interested in the whole shebang.

Do you have any pictures of the truck and or the rust? I am currently helping my neighbours kid fix the rust and make his BJ60 as sound as we can without a body off frame. Just shot the primer on the chassis after a month of fixing rust. If it is bad in the floor there may be a lot more. I might be interested in the whole shebang.

I've got a series of pictures available rn, with more to follow as soon as I remove the carpet. You can check them out here, and I'll link some more pictures soon.

Your best bet is to sell it complete. Parting it out in Canada is a bit harder. Shipping to the US costs more, takes longer and some buyers don’t want to deal with it.

There’s also a limited audience in Canada. I’ve tried giving decent parts away free, and after months just ended up tossing the stuff

good advice above, sell it as a complete rig, post enough pics and document the sale, I make 2 bills of sale when selling rigs, original to the buyer and copy to me, with all relevant info, year, make, model, mileage, vin #, etc. Also include these words or similar, as is, where is, with no warranty expressed or written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom