Suggest an A/T tire for me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of putting some 33's on but rarely wheel. I am going to keep the stock suspension.
My 100 is an everyday driver, family trickster and my business truck. With that being said ride quality is very important me.
I was thinking of the Terra Grappler A/T's. I have had BFG's in the past and really don't want this again.
What will have great road manor but offroad capability?
How are the Toyo's?

Nittos all the way. I have the toyos on my tacoma, BFGs on my FJ-62, and just replaced the Michelin LTX's on the 100 with Nitto terra grapplers. The grapplers are my favorite out of all 4 that I have tried. They are quiet and the ride is awesome.

I really like my Yokohama Geolander AT-S tires. They look great and are quiet. The price is outstanding!
I've got the 275 stock tire size.

Super Swamper bogger

may have slight road noise though

I've had NittoTG's (same as Toyo OC) and my experience wasn't great. Especially in snow. For a daily driver with hardly no wheeling, why 33's? Less MPG? Slower accel? Sloppier handling? Extra cost?

Anyway, Michelin LTX or Yoko ATS would be my choices. Probably lean towards Yoko for the price.

Nittos on my Tacoma -- 35K miles and will probably go another 20K easily. . . Quiet and smooth w/ very even wear. Quieter now than new BFGs on last Taco.

On our GX, we went with Toyo Open Country HTs and have been very, very pleased. . .

Prior to the Nittos/Toyos, both vehicles ran Michelins. IMO, no reason to pay for the Michelins. . .

I don't know if you can say the nitto TG and the Toyo OC are the same. Last time I checked, both tires of the same size had different construction and different load ratings. Would have to double check though.

I sincerely caution you with the Yokohama Geolander AT/S. They are not the greatest in snow, and downright dangerous in mud, they are good in rain, and dry though. 2 of my tires have tread separation, this should not happen after 30k of driving. They're only 2 years old. Also, if you tow, the sidewall is very thin on them.

After countless hours of research over the last 6 months, I'm between the Goodyear Duratracs and the Hankook Dynapro At/M RF-10.

For your purposes, I highly recommend the Hankook Dynapro's. The price is pretty good too, and the general consensus is that they outperform pretty much anything in their class based on numerous reviews I've read. The other thing is that they are quite a quiet tire for an A/T. Much quieter than the BFG. If you look at the reviews, you'll understand why I'm recommending them. One shop locally here says they sell 7 to 1 vs the BFG's. I wonder why?

Here they are: Tire Reviews - Discount Tire Direct

Last edited:
I've had NittoTG's (same as Toyo OC) and my experience wasn't great. Especially in snow. For a daily driver with hardly no wheeling, why 33's? Less MPG? Slower accel? Sloppier handling? Extra cost?

Anyway, Michelin LTX or Yoko ATS would be my choices. Probably lean towards Yoko for the price.

Because I want toi look cool and fit in.
Well I am not sure how 33's would really affect the mpg. A guy down the run is running 33" terra grappler m/T's on his 100 and is getting 12.5 mpg.
I do go off the beaten path to go camping, fishing and bird hunting. I won't be wheeling with my local club as much as I would like but would like to be as to keep up when I do go.
Do the LTX/ MS fair off road?

The LTX MS are a great on road tire, and for VERY OCCASIONAL offroad use. If the actual plan is to use it offroad too, I recommend going to a real A/T tire. Check out my previous comment

Look at the michelin LTX A/T2 seems like it would be a perfect fit.

you cant go wrong with a set of Yoko Geolander's a/t-s ride great, price is right

I would say Nitto Terra Grapplers but ONLY the D rated version...>E rated too rough of ride and too heavy for your usage. D rated version is $173 each at DiscountTiresDirect with free shipping.

If not the Nitto then would recommend look at Toyo Open Country AT that are $195 each in load range C for 285/75R16 at 4wheel parts with $50 shipping..

Go here....pick tire in left column and read the reviews and ratings...very comprehensive.

The Michelins are good all season tires but if you every get in more than a dirt driveway I think you would be disappointed.

All Terrain Tires Reviews - Offroaders.com

Last edited:
Bridgestone Revo 2

Bmanning on his Revos - Good review and ppics

Thanks for the link. i totally forgot about the Revo's. I have always thought they were a good looking tire.

Brock. How do you think those Revo's would do in the type of trail riding we do?

I love the TG's on my truck, but they're not that great in snow. Luckily I live in the desert and they work great here. Good even wear, fairly quiet, and ride great.

Bridgestone Deuler Revo II, 285/75R16 E-rated.

Do it.

Still love them after 15k miles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom