Sudden no-run situation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found my issue! And its @jonheld for the win on this one.

I went through my connectors in the engine bay and the fuse box w/o luck. On a whim I grabbed the harness where it goes through the firewall and gave it a tug and the truck died. I pulled the PCM and found this guy behind it wasnt connected tightly (hadn't 'clicked' all the way together.)

20211105_165437.jpg

You'd never be able to tell by looking at it, only found because I got the truck running and then pushed on it slightly and the truck died. So when the truck was hitting bumps or the wiring shifted it was just enough for random pins in the connector to stop connecting, manifesting as different electrical issues.

Pins all looked good, but I squirted dielectric grease in there anyway and clicked it back together. Then to be safe wrapped a zip-tie around it.

20211105_165912.jpg

Fortunately no money spent and the truck performed flawlessly on a test drive.

Oh man, what a journey this was though! Troubleshooting is such a PITA sometimes but sometimes you get rewarded handsomely. Thanks for following up and educating the rest of us in the process.

Those epiphanies after a long journey wandering in the desert are rapturous. Congrats.

Informative thread to follow as so many on MUD are.

:D:beer:
These 80 series are a work of their own doing. So many aspects to diagnosing problems on these are simple fixes. We all learn in the process, congratulations on figuring out the gremlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom