Sucking on Distributor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read somewhere sucking on the hose to the diaphragm of the distributor (as if I were a carburetor) would work to tell if a)it was an advance or retard dizzy and b)the dizzy's advance/retard worked. I sucked as hard as I could (though I can suck pretty bad sometimes) but saw not the least change in timing according the light&ball. I don't care about the retarded advance question and was really just wondering how my carburetor vacuum was working... But then maybe someone said the vacuum created by an able-bodied though medium-sized American male was not exactly the same as a 6-cylinder internal combustion engine? Any other way to check the distributor's end of the deal?

i have sucked my dizzy enough to advance the timing quite noticably.

Howdy! Done this many times on many different rigs. Works well. You may have a leak in the advance diaphram, or the mechinizm is stuck. Take off dizzy cap and see if you can move the base plate. It should rotate 3/8 to 1/2"+ if working right. John

Okay! Yeah, took off cap and no plate movement at all. Guess there should be? Have electronic ignition in '73 dizzy but quite sure I didn't punch those screws too deep or through the wrong holes. Will commence breakdown!

Many advance plates are rusted stuck over the years - try some WD-40 and a tap with a chisel and hammer to free it up. You can use a Mity-Vac if your lungs aren't strong, but even a light suck will make the plate move. Also, the engine doesn't have to be running for any of these tests - it's a bit more peaceful to do this diagnosis with the engine off and distributor disassembled.

HAHA!! Yeah, I read that on here too... and tried it, and it works. And it don't take much either. I also have the '73 dizzy. Definately vaccuum retard. If it has electronics, then it's been a upgraded most likely with a pertronix.

Yes, I put the Pertronix in - sorry didn't mean to imply otherwise - and the idea of doing all this with the engine off was great!!!

Searching brought me to this thread with a question. The plate in my dizzy moves freely but I get no movement at all when I suck on the vacuum hose. Can I just replace the vacuum pod? Is that my most likely problem?

Searching brought me to this thread with a question. The plate in my dizzy moves freely but I get no movement at all when I suck on the vacuum hose. Can I just replace the vacuum pod? Is that my most likely problem?
Yes, and Ys.

Yes, and Ys.

Is this item available from Toyota? Mine has the adjusting screw on the tail end of the vacuum linkage. When I push in on the adjusting screw while sucking on the vacuum hose I lose all resistance on the hose. I am not schooled in these things yet but learning. Also need to get vacuum gauge kit and learn the wily ways of FJ40 vacuum tuning.:beer:

Check with Beno or CDan on this forum. They are OEM parts gurus. Otherwise, check with vendors like SOR and Manafre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom