SUCCESS !! Toyota 86120-89118 radio (which prong is power *see picture) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I have the pictured radio. Trying not to blow it but test it. I know the two prongs are for power. Can anyone tell me which one is power and which is ground? I looked at cooler mans schematic and still could not tell. Thanks..

37F47A5D-F25E-4EBD-8B5C-CE3F9F353FA2.jpeg

A37B76B5-8B6E-4806-BEB4-343066EA75BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't recall specifically but I believe that with the radio in the off position you will have continuity to the chassis from only one of the two terminals. That one would be the ground.

The top T shaped connector is the power. All the old Panasonics I've seen had the negative or ground on the horizontal tab. A lot of times you will see a single connection to the vertical tab (+) and nothing on the horizontal tab since the radio is grounded by the mounting. Easy to verify with a meter as @cruiserdan stated. The bottom three terminals are speaker connections, the horizontal tab is common or ground.

The top T shaped connector is the power. All the old Panasonics I've seen had the negative or ground on the horizontal tab. A lot of times you will see a single connection to the vertical tab (+) and nothing on the horizontal tab since the radio is grounded by the mounting. Easy to verify with a meter as @cruiserdan stated. The bottom three terminals are speaker connections, the horizontal tab is common or ground.

If it is just 12volts and ground, only 2 tabs would be needed. Why 3 ?

The 3 prong is for the speakers.

I am 90% sure this is correct.
Don't hold me responsible, please.
Dyno

radio_LI.jpg

@Wadesters--so, to confirm, Dynosoar's photo of the connections is correct, including the speaker connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom