Subwoofer question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few years back I re-did the entire sound system. Best Buy did the install, and I've been pretty happy with their work. For discussion purposes, I put in a Pioneer head unit, all JBL speakers, a Kicker amp, and an 8" Kicker sub mounted in the original factory enclosure. At the time, I was doing Dynamat work throughout the entire tail of the truck, so I put a layer on the subwoofer enclosure before Best Buy installed the sub. But without a doubt, this sub is way too powerful for this enclosure, and wondering what folks would advise me to do. The enclosure is a big cause of distortion, I believe. Below you'll see some pictures of the work I've done, including the enclosure wrapped in Dynamat. I was thinking I could drill a hole in it to create a port, or look to open it up completely and only keep as much of it as is needed to serve as a mounting bracket for the Kicker sub. I'm asking this now because the interior is about to be completely stripped out and I'll be doing the dynamat work in the passenger compartment, but the subwoofer will again be exposed. Any thoughts appreciated.

Here is the entire tailgate project after it was finished:

IMG_0032.jpeg

And here is the sub enclosure:

IMG_0014.jpeg

Finally here is the new sub mounted in the enclosure and reinstalled in the side of the truck:

IMG_0015.jpeg

That’s the 6 3/4” Kicker, I just installed one myself. Sounds great to me. Do you have an equalizer?

I don't think trying to port or drill holes in that enclosure is going to help.

Sound deadening it like you did will help some, but it is still plastic and will flex, etc....

8" subs even in the best enclosure are tough to tune in my opinion. You will want to get real familiar with what the amp and head unit has for settings, crossover points, gain control, maybe experiment with flipping the sub out of phase, etc....to make it sound it's best. I've had an 8" sub and an amp in my last 2 passenger cars and it's just not usually as impressive as I would like.

I have run a 10" sub (several different brands) in a 1 cubic footish enclosure in all of my last 3 Land Cruisers and have always been happy with the sound.

I understand wanting to keep all your storage room in the back and utilizing the stock location, but it comes with a price. When you put it all back together, I would consider making some kind wire extension, etc... to make the wire going to the enclosure more accessible in case you want to experiment with something different. Maybe hook up a friends sub box or stop by one of those best buy type places and see if they will let you plug something in for a minute to try.

That’s the 6 3/4” Kicker, I just installed one myself. Sounds great to me. Do you have an equalizer?
This is correct! I got the 8" in my other car....

There's a digital equalizer in my the head unit.

I will take some video of what's happening here when I have the car pulled apart in a few days. Thanks again for all the help!

This is correct! I got the 8" in my other car....

There's a digital equalizer in my the head unit.

I will take some video of what's happening here when I have the car pulled apart in a few days. Thanks again for all the help!
How much power you sending the sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom