Subwoofer in the cargo panel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djawahir

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
battlebalm.com
So, I was thinking one day about how to spend more money on my truck. And sadly, an answer came to me in less than half a second.

If anyone's looking to add some low end frequency to their truck speaker system, and they are not willing to have a speaker box taking up precious cargo space in the rear that could be used to load a stroller, two dogs, and beach gear, then look no further! I've got a cruiser solution for you!

Parts:
8" Kicker Shallow Mount Subwoofer 10CVT84
8" Kicker Shallow Mount Subwoofer Grill
1/2" MDF 2'x4' panel
Braid Nailer
Wood Glue
Silicone sealer
Polyurethane Spray can

Last edited:
For this modification, I had to remove one of the vertical supports in the driver side rear cargo panel area. I used a grinder to grind away the vertical support as NOT seen in this picture.

The other vertical support was kept in place and holds the 6 1/2" speaker as seen in the second picture.
IMG_5260.jpg
IMG_5261.jpg

Here is a picture of the completed box secured to the cargo panel.

NOTE: I had new cargo panels made from 5/32" baltic birch plywood. The original cardboard cargo panels will not be strong enough to support a speaker box.

I also added 2 cigarette lighter sockets to the rear...which get powered off of a fuse box mounted inside this panel area as well.

BTW, the cigarette lighter sockets are made by Marinco. About $20 each. They are heavy duty, have a splash cover, and have a twist locking mechanism so that, if you so desire, you can use matching plugs that won't jiggle loose. Regular plugs work fine too.
IMG_5262.jpg
IMG_5263.jpg
IMG_5265.jpg

Whoops, I forgot the details about the speaker:

Kicker 8" Shallow mount Subwoofer CompVT Series 4 Ohm. Mounting depth is ~3.5" You can not get a normal depth 8" subwoofer into this space.

The shallow mount 8" makes good sound for the size and can play most music fairly well. I'm only using one subwoofer at 200W in a sealed enclosure approximately 0.375 cubic feet. (The specs ask for a slightly larger box, but I couldn't spare the space in the cargo panel. For me, it's good enough for now and fills the lower frequency spectrum.

The grill is an aluminum grill from Kicker as well. Very strong, in case you are transporting stuff that rolls around in the cargo area.

So I get much better sound quality out of my FJ60 now. Best of all, I still have my entire rear cargo area to carry family stuff!!!
IMG_5269.jpg

Looks good, man. I've been thinking similar thoughts but wanted to fit a 10" speaker in. I'd likely lose all my rear quarter storage space trying to make a sealed box for that, though.

Thanks for posting!

I came close to doing that, but oped for the rear deck. 10" EarthQuakes (SWS-10).

FYI, you dont need a swallow mount for the sides.
EarthQuake Subs-1.jpg

Amp?

Where did you mount the amp? I've thought of this before, glad to see someone put it in action.

Looks great - sorry to bring a thread back from the dead.

I will be attempting this on the other side of my FJ62. I have already run the wires to power the sub from my amp I have under my passenger seat.

Thanks for making me feel better going into this project!

Pretty sure that @60Works did this in one of his cruisers (Frankenstein?) and had good results. Personally I am going with a low profile sub/amp enclosure that will go under the rear seat like @HemiAlex did with his cruiser. He likes his RF but I think I am going to try a different brand.

Pretty sure that @60Works did this in one of his cruisers (Frankenstein?) and had good results. Personally I am going with a low profile sub/amp enclosure that will go under the rear seat like @HemiAlex did with his cruiser. He likes his RF but I think I am going to try a different brand.

I'm actually using a Kenwood KSC-SW11. It had the smallest dimensions I could find.

I installed BMW 3 series coupe seats into my truck two weekends ago and ran the wires for my JBL mono amp at the same time.

My biggest question mark will be how to get a big enough box built for the sub .. as it’s a biggie.

I installed BMW 3 series coupe seats into my truck two weekends ago and ran the wires for my JBL mono amp at the same time.

My biggest question mark will be how to get a big enough box built for the sub .. as it’s a biggie.
What sub are you running? Plenty of forums and posts out there on how to calculate proper volume of the enclosure with or without a port.

Looks great!

I saw an ad on tv for $99 under-seat subs (in Aus), so went in to the shop with the intention of getting one for the 60...
A pair of 6.5” Clarion hx series splits, a 5 channel Pioneer amp and a Rockford Fosgate 12” Punch sub later and I am broke!! But it sounds fantastic!!

What sub are you running? Plenty of forums and posts out there on how to calculate proper volume of the enclosure with or without a port.

Pretty sure I need 34 cubic inches, 12” sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom