Subtle steering wobble while braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice before I dig into this issue. Noticed over the past month or two, I've been experiencing a subtle steering wobble in the steering wheel when I'm lightly braking. This is especially noticeable when I'm lightly braking in a gradual right turn - like when you brush the brake on an off ramp or approaching a stop light. First assumption is a warped rotor, but these trucks have pretty meaty disks. I'm more suspect of linkage, bearings or bushings. Thing is, I'm have Delta arms with relatively new OEM bushings, have replaced the steering stabilizer, tightened the steering box and put in new TRE not long ago. Curious if anyone has some thoughts before I start tearing into things.

Looking for some advice before I dig into this issue. Noticed over the past month or two, I've been experiencing a subtle steering wobble in the steering wheel when I'm lightly braking. This is especially noticeable when I'm lightly braking in a gradual right turn - like when you brush the brake on an off ramp or approaching a stop light. First assumption is a warped rotor, but these trucks have pretty meaty disks. I'm more suspect of linkage, bearings or bushings. Thing is, I'm have Delta arms with relatively new OEM bushings, have replaced the steering stabilizer, tightened the steering box and put in new TRE not long ago. Curious if anyone has some thoughts before I start tearing into things.
I would always first check the wheel bearings.

If those are in spec then I would re-bed the brakes. Sometimes the rotors will warp and a good heating during the bedding process will flatten them back out.

If that doesn't solve it then it's time for new pads and rotors.

Also check tires if they are cupped and in need of rotation.

Wheel bearings. Then trunions or TREs. New parts fail, too.

Throwing this out there as something else to look into. I had steering wheel shakes on a couple vehicles. Ended up being some pitting on the front caliper pistons causing uneven braking. The problem got worse the warmer the brakes got.

Regarding warped rotors, search for this white paper:

Screenshot_20220727-133922_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

(I would link directly to it, but mobile + Google makes it a PITA to get the URL of a PDF)

I would always first check the wheel bearings.

If those are in spec then I would re-bed the brakes. Sometimes the rotors will warp and a good heating during the bedding process will flatten them back out.

If that doesn't solve it then it's time for new pads and rotors.

Also check tires if they are cupped and in need of rotation.

Appreciate the input. I just stepped up to 37" tires, and though I can't pinpoint that as a moment I began to notice the wobble, the timing is suspect. Entirely possible that the added diameter of the wheels is exacerbating an already worn or misadjusted wheel bearing. I'll jump into the hub this weekend to check the preload.

Thanks!

Appreciate the input. I just stepped up to 37" tires, and though I can't pinpoint that as a moment I began to notice the wobble, the timing is suspect. Entirely possible that the added diameter of the wheels is exacerbating an already worn or misadjusted wheel bearing. I'll jump into the hub this weekend to check the preload.

Thanks!
dude...fix that wheel bearing and lets go wheeling!! I need to see that beast in action now that your on 37s.

Have a similar problem after going from worn 33" to new 35" tires, in my case I assume it's my trunnion bearings as they didn't look too hot the last time I greased the birfields. Have a front end rebuild kit with bearings, rotors, and gaskets waiting to go in once the weather stabilizes.

Let us know what you find out.

I'll put money on it being due to wheel bearing adjustment.
Have had this occur on more than one vehicle.
Always shows up with light braking, like washing of a little speed before a corner, or the last 30' when stopping at lights

I'll put money on it being due to wheel bearing adjustment.
Have had this occur on more than one vehicle.
Always shows up with light braking, like washing of a little speed before a corner, or the last 30' when stopping at lights
This is EXACTLY the situation for me. It's like you've driven my truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom