Subtle lift / suspension refresh on a budget? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, even though I'm amazed that our truck has gone 241K miles and 20 years on the stock suspension, it's also approaching needing a refresh. @Land Speeder suggested putting pucks in to extend the springs a bit, and something about F-150 shocks being a much cheaper alternative to Toyota shocks? While I'd love to have the money to throw into a legit lift, that would be a long ways down the road. But if there's an inexpensive way to lift it back to stock height and consequently get my steering a little less "floaty," I'm all ears. Eric, you suggested starting a new thread to compile this knowledge you're about to drop in a single place in case anyone else is interested…so that's what this is. If you could share any links for what I need to look into getting, I'd really appreciate it.

Im running the Ford shocks. and puck up front from autozone. My lift was on a budget as well. I got the OME(old man EMU) springs and did the ford shocks. It rides pretty good for 35s on stock gears. I got the smaller Puck at autozone thinking it would be enough to level it out. however it isnt. Luckily E hooked me up with some different spacers that should level it up. The puck is less than 10 bucks. springs if i recal are about 20-30 bucks. Ill put a pic up in a second from my phone of how it sits in driveway. Granted my driveway is on a hill. So it's exaggerated a little. This is with zero weight in the back also.

shocks.jpg

0207161513.jpg

Last edited:
to help with budget here is roughly what i did:

here is what i wanted but didnt have a grand or more to spend on lift.
1991-97 Toyota Land Cruiser /
LX450 - Old Man Emu
Medium Load 2.5" Kit

So here is what i did:

OME 2851 fronts for $167.00 amazon free shipping
OME 2860 rears for $163.00 amazon free shipping
OME OMESD24 Steering Stabalizer $83.00 amazon free shipping
Ford shocks Roughly 100 bucks. I cant find receipt right now. cant remember where i got these but they are 30 bucks on amazon
Pro Comp Shock mount conversion kit Summit racing 25 bucks( this is required with Ford shocks)
2 pucks from autozone 15 bucks
these parts are fairly easy to install. I did it by myself in a day. But show up with the parts at erics and could be done in alot less time.

OME has a Stock High Springs that you can do the same with

OME 2861 front 160 on amazon free shipping
OME 2862 rear- 167 on amazon free shipping

Last edited:
These on top of all four springs:

18-1901.jpg

Superior RideEFFEX 18-1901 - Spring Spacer | O'Reilly Auto Parts

and then the shocks that @Intern22 just posted, 4 of them,

with TWO ProComp shock adapters (one set for front only):

images.ashx

This will net you BACK to stock ride height. The shocks will give you the firm ride back to stock you need. It will have more travel than you need... but will work.

When pulling the OEM shocks off the back. KEEP the bottom eyelet rubber gaskets, you will need to ground them down to fit in the smaller new shocks. I've found this to be the easiest approach versus trying to open the hole on the new eye spacer. Easier done that to say... LOL.

That's IT!

[QUOTE="Intern22, post: 10215563, member: 27456" springs if i recal are about 20-30 bucks.[/QUOTE]

what springs did you get for 30 dollars?

Probably meant shocks.

Stock height OME springs are 2861 front and 2862 for the rear to correct the earlier post ;)

863's are the heavy rate 2.5 lift - they are tall.

If you want to stay at stock height + just a little extra and don't plan on adding heavy bumpers etc I would get the stock height springs from amazon and get some OEM shocks from @beno

correct Shocks. Sorry was trying to put it all together and attempt to work at the same time.

" Stock height OME springs are 2861 front and 2862 for the rear to correct the earlier post ;)" SO MANY NUMBERS!! ha. ill edit this one for less confusion.

Also, I will be swapping my stock height bilsteins for the ford shocks at some point since I am sitting at 3" above stock now, but don't know exactly when I will get around to it.

This is all VERY helpful. Thanks guys! And @bhmmapping, how many miles do you have on your Bilsteins? Wanna sell them when you get around to taking them off?

Those shocks are too long for stock height, they will bottom out all the time

Then just search for F150 shocks for rear of a 99 model NOT with 2" lift...
Gabriel G63778

Shock Collapsed Length (in): 14.52
Shock Extended Length (in): 24.55

Im running the Ford shocks. and puck up front from autozone. My lift was on a budget as well. I got the OME(old man EMU) springs and did the ford shocks. It rides pretty good for 35s on stock gears. I got the smaller Puck at autozone thinking it would be enough to level it out. however it isnt. Luckily E hooked me up with some different spacers that should level it up. The puck is less than 10 bucks. springs if i recal are about 20-30 bucks. Ill put a pic up in a second from my phone of how it sits in driveway. Granted my driveway is on a hill. So it's exaggerated a little. This is with zero weight in the back also.

View attachment 1213197

View attachment 1213202
Just curious how is it now?
I'm thinking of sound the same on a budget
93 fj 80 did u not go with the caster correction bushings?
How was the ride?
Thanks!

It ran great while I had it. Ride was normal i guess. Truck was slow and was just a toy. So didnt see many miles. Sold it a while back to get the house. Its still on the road somewhere though. Id recommend it to anyone looking to lift it on a budget.

Finally found the time to put the lift on. I still need pucks to level the front but wow what a difference. Rides great! No driveshaft vibes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom