Submarine Starter Motor Teardown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
200 Series Disclaimer: Note, these events and this teardown occurred with a 4Runner. However, since I'd rather debate the proper levels of molybdenum disulfide in my driveline grease than what ninja star wheels look best, I tend to spend my time on the 200 forums rather than the 4Runner forums. In other words, 200 series people are my people. The statements herein should pertain to both 4Runner and Land Cruiser. Our family 200 gets to live a more pampered life as our 4Runner gets abused on-trail.

The lead up: I had plans to run the High Watermark Trail in Arkansas over Thanksgiving break. I reached out to a few friends to see if I could get some more rigs on the trail, but with the holiday, it wound up being a solo trip. Then, some unexpected trips to the hospital for my wife meant that it was going to be an especially short trip. I had 24 hours to do a trail that Jeeps on 35s say is ideally a three day trail. You can see where this is going.

The Fork in the Road: Things had gone smoothly for the most part. I got to the Buffalo River crossing at sundown and crossed without event. I drove a few hours into the dark and did a few more stream crossings that were again, uneventful. I setup camp and the next morning things were going smoothly again. I came to the first big bog hole. On the right was a nasty 100m of mud and grime. To the left, looked like a much more frequented and shorter crossing.

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

The Event: You can see in the photos that there's ice on the water and frost on the leaves. I wasn't too eager to leave the warm, dry cabin of the truck. The track had been easy so far. And I had miles to make. So I didn't check the depth. It was a mistake. I don't have may photos of the situation, but eventually my tires were unable to move me forward or backward. Tried every trick and gadget to make any movement, but I was in a bottomless pit. Eventually water started to come into the cabin. Lots of it.
IMG_0688.jpeg

The Aftermath: I left the truck running and no lights ever showed up on the dash. It took 30 minutes from the picture of the fork until I was on dry land on the other side of the bog. I learned that winches are silent when operated underwater!
IMG_0694.jpeg

The truck got me through the rest of the 100+ miles of trail and the 4 hour+ drive back home without a problem. Eventually the truck got harder and harder to start and I had to replace the starter. This job is also a pain on the 4Runner.Six months later, I was finally in a headspace to teardown that starter motor and see what had failed.

Continued next post.

Last edited:
Starter Motor Theory: Speedkar99 does a great teardown of another Toyota starter motor

The Teardown: The corrosion was pretty evident the moment I cracked the starter open.
IMG_1897.jpeg

The main motor bearing had completely seized. I tried to move it with vice grips and couldn't get it to budge. This may have been the long-term factor that finally killed the starter motor.
IMG_1905.jpeg

The drive reduction gears were pretty manky too. I can't believe how much dirt was deposited inside the case in just 5 years (and one good dunking in a very silty bog hole).
IMG_1909.jpeg

I think the solenoid may have been the initial part that started to fail as the mud started to dry. Fresh out of the bog hole, the engine could be started right away. As the day wore on into the night, there was some delay and intermittent starting. Likely caused by the gooey mud hardening into a cake and no longer being displaced by the solenoid plunger. The corrosion here doesn't look great for the long-term either.
IMG_1906.jpeg

Picture of the plunger contact looking pretty dirty and corroded.
IMG_1908.jpeg

I was able to soak all the bearings in PB blaster and get the moving again, and I was able to get the solenoid kicking and motor spinning by hooking it to my battery. But, I think this one is going deep into the shelf marked "EMERGENCY USE ONLY" given how dead those bearings are. If anyone knows a place to buy starter motor bearing kits, let me know! I'd also need a gear/bearing puller and press, so the project starts to look similar to the cost & effort of just buying new motor when the time comes.

My hope is that this post helps someone in a nice warm truck cab on a nice easy trail get the motivation up to go check that friendly looking puddle they're about to drive through. Cheers!

Last edited:
Love threads like this. Good recovery and great adventure with stories to tell for another day.

Enjoyed the teardown to see how a dunking can impact components. Credit to the 4R for taking the incident reasonably well.

I'd agree the 200-series may far similarly. Any issues with the alternator which is another low lying part the 200-series? There's some major harness junctions and fuses in the lower footwell too that may not take well to that kind of water intake.

Any issues with the alternator which is another low lying part the 200-series? There's some major harness junctions and fuses in the lower footwell too that may not take well to that kind of water intake.
So far so good with everything else. Though, doing this tear down makes me want to take a look at the alternator more closely, or even do a preemptive replacement. Did a whole carpet-out steam clean and ran a dehumidifier to dry out the firewall insulation. The electrical connectors all look happy. I think the quick dunk and drying it out ASAP didn't have much effect compared to an undiagnosed sunroof leak over time..

IMG_0769.jpeg
IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

However, since I'd rather debate the proper levels of molybdenum disulfide in my driveline grease than what ninja star wheels look best, I tend to spend my time on the 200 forums rather than the 4Runner forums.
^^^ 🤣 I can't take the Tacoma forums for this very same reason!

Are you going to try again in your 200 on the upcomming TAC run of the HWM? I don't want to be the only 200 out there following 40s, 80s and F-Toys on 37" & 40" tires.

^^^ 🤣 I can't take the Tacoma forums for this very same reason!

Are you going to try again in your 200 on the upcomming TAC run of the HWM? I don't want to be the only 200 out there following 40s, 80s and F-Toys on 37" & 40" tires.

I guess I could acquire my 200 back from the gal for this so you’re not lonely. But I was planning on bringing the beater runner..

100 miles of trails? Wowzers. Great write up. I don’t even want to know what kind of PITA putting all the carpet, seats, clips, etc back ended up being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom