Sub tank neck, etc - still any up FS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
Hey all -

Decided to maybe get my blk 80 a Christmas present, always liked the sub-tanks just never bothered.

Who / where is best bet for vendors here in the States?

Is the filler neck the piece that is the lynchpin that holds people up? Last I knew it was ~$400 shipped new.

(@beno, whats the chance I can get the parts here yet? I know I'll prob have to buy new, as long as it's not all NLA stuff) -or are you laughing at me b/c it's all long NLA stuff?

If anyone has one sitting, has leads on parts, kick a PM my way or reply here, prob a PM if you want to talk money.

Thanks & Merry Christmas all!

Thx J! -I'll make sure to bug him :smokin:

Yep-that's a great deal. I'm surprised it hasn't sold.

I love my sub tank. Just enough extra gas for Utah trips.

You'll need to get George's ECU and make sure the switch is the gasser momentary one and not the two position diesel one. I had @OTRAMM install mine and instead of going with the 20+ year old OEM transfer pump we went with a modern, easily replaceable self priming unit mounted high above the frame rails. I didn't bother with the overhead console. I always fill up both tanks and just know if the gauge is on empty with ~300 miles on the trip meter I can push the sub tank button for another 13 gallons. I was thinking about hacking up the overhead console to pull out the sub tank gauge and figure out a good place to mount it. We'll see.

Here's George's write up...

Auxiliary tank

So George's ecu is the bit to get. Not expensive, works perfectly, and in my experience, durable. Seriously, the subtank takes the worry out of long trips into Death Valley, or Mojave, or Utah. I use mine to roll through the expensive gas of 395, on the way to Death Valley. If you've been there, you know what I mean.

If @LINUS doesn't buy the kit as offered, someone else should. It's cheap for what it is.

I can't believe how much they have gone up in price but it's the market now. If I was in a better position I'd jump at the one listed.

For parts I used @Akella a few years ago.

I'll look into that one in the ads (missed it myself - so thanks @TomH for the help!)

@Cruiserdrew - yep, even just a trip towing the boat out to the tip of the peninsula I get about 8-9 mpg with the way HWY 101 winds past Crecent Lake, so I can burn a tank of gas just getting into Forks from the house doing the pavement queen thing.

Clearly these were setup from toyota to just either stay 31's & the 25 gal tank, or go with a sub setup when you start getting even slightly off the main populus corridors.

Something especially I'd been thinking was Joey's fuel filter tap/block combined with extra onboard capacity I could access gas for even the small silly things like a quick fill of the generator, etc.

@NLXTACY - were you thinking the same thing? Seeing as that block might get a few others to make the $$$ leap to a subtank where prev we were fine with 3 jerrys on the basket swingout.
-- (or in my case I was carrying a 5-er of fresh water for day trips, boat gas tank is 70 gal if topped)

Something especially I'd been thinking was Joey's fuel filter tap/block combined with extra onboard capacity I could access gas for even the small silly things like a quick fill of the generator, etc.

@NLXTACY - were you thinking the same thing? Seeing as that block might get a few others to make the $$$ leap to a subtank where prev we were fine with 3 jerrys on the basket swingout.
-- (or in my case I was carrying a 5-er of fresh water for day trips, boat gas tank is 70 gal if topped)

Bingo. I've been working with shops to get this particular project going. I have to say, it may wind up being too much money to bother with.

I just bought mine out of Australia for 750.00 shipped. got it off of Ebay. It was the diesel version but in perfect shape.

20161024_180135.jpg

20161024_175948.jpg

20161024_180009.jpg

@Akella is where my dual neck came from, under $400 and brand new. A couple necks are available spend the time and money to find the one where the outlet are horizontal and not angled you thank yourself on install. George's ECU is a nice option but a basic transfer pump will be much lower cost and simpler install. I can dump my 15 gal aux tank in about 15mins.

You will have to swap out the sending unit for the gas version if you want to use George's ECU. I believe you can still get them new from Toyota.

i believe it is in Cdans Rig of the week where he wired the sub so that it could be read on the gas gauge with a push of a button, it might have been GeorgeTLC maybe, RavenTie and others helped me with mine. Mine was set up with a new pump set up that transferred directly into the main tank shut itself off and read both tanks with the stock fuel gauge.
Most of the treads that i found helpful were written around 2006. Lots of great info from great authors are still here from back in the day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom