SUA (not SOA) FJ60 axles. Tips, pics, tricks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG
I recently acquired a FJ62 front axle and buying the rear soon. I am buying a RuffStuff kit and installing it SUA on my 1970 FJ. I like the width, brakes, and strength of the 62 axle. I also like the RuffStuff kit because the perches are drilled so I can gain a couple of inches of wheelbase fairly easy. I have enough lift (Spector 4in) for the tires that I have and want. Max of 35in tires maybe in the future but now I have 33s.
The truck will see mainly street use but I am planning on some off-road trips. After reading for weeks it looks like the SUA setup is all I need and most of the time will keep up with SOA rigs.
Outboarding both front springs 5/8in with RuffStuff kit looks like the way to go. No need for cut/turn or high steer. Currently rebuilding brake calipers, new seals and buying new hoses. Also buying a duel circuit master cylinder.
Starting this project in a couple of months when parts are assembled. Has anyone else done this? Am I missing something? Trying to get every together before work begins.

Add a brake booster while you are into the master cylinder. I will be watching this swap.

I too will be doing this swap. Gathering parts. And gleaning as much info as possible. Following.

Want2wheel which booster do you recommend?

frt axle2.jpg
frt axle.jpg
frt axle3.jpg
I am knee(or armpit) deep into this very similar project. I bought the RuffStuff kit as well. Mine are 60 axles as I have a donor vehicle. I don't remember off hand, but I thought I had to outboard the spring mounts more than 5/8, I could go measure it if needed. I changed the front calipers over to the 4Runner/Pickup ones. The rears I am going to make brackets for 94 Landcruiser rear calipers that I picked up. My thought there is that I can then run the 94 brake master cylinder without messing around with proportioning valving, etc. It should be matched right out of the box. I also looked up a longer front brake hose(frame to axle) to make sure I could get more drop out of the front end. View attachment 1405265

I was going to use a Wilwood master cylinder kit from ManAFre without a booster to start with. That way I don't have to cut the firewall brace and allow plenty of room for GM TBI throttle body my buddy has lying around. Should still be a huge difference over stock drum brakes.
Are all of you going SUA with 60 axles? Any measurements and or problems you run into would be great Fjdiesel.

I am staying SUA, I did an SOA on my 60 and it was just too tall. I am also going to run 35" tires, so I am trying to set up the suspension for that. Here is a pic of where it's at now. Going back together. I don't have the shackles on yet, I want to set them up with most of the weight on it so I can get the correct angle I want. I didn't do a shackle reversal either. My plan is stock angle on the front and about 70 degrees on the rear.
axles.jpg

For sua off the shelf fj40 4" sua rear springs usually are too stiff and don't flex. 4" lift fj60 rear springs would do much better. Sua springs also need fairly long shackles and proper shackle angle to let the springs properly move through their arch. This requires doing some good tach welds on the shackle hangers, then flexing it out and seeing how the shackle angle looks during full compression. Then making adjustments to get it right.

I agree @White Stripe once you put lifted springs in you lost your droop on sua and they ride like a hay wagon. I put in the stock 60 springs front and rear. And I lowered the RuffStuff spring hangers by an 1 1/4(no shackle reversal) to gain my lift. And I am using the 60 shackle hangers all the way around for the shackle end(approximately 1 1/4 taller than fj40) I got a ton of my info from @brisveganbj42 he wanted to stay SUA and fit 34-35 in tires and got all kinds of droop. He didn't use 60 axles because he didn't like the outboarded hangers. I like the extra width with 60 axles and bigger bushings from the 60 mounts.

I agree @White Stripe once you put lifted springs in you lost your droop on sua and they ride like a hay wagon. I put in the stock 60 springs front and rear. And I lowered the RuffStuff spring hangers by an 1 1/4(no shackle reversal) to gain my lift. And I am using the 60 shackle hangers all the way around for the shackle end(approximately 1 1/4 taller than fj40) I got a ton of my info from @brisveganbj42 he wanted to stay SUA and fit 34-35 in tires and got all kinds of droop. He didn't use 60 axles because he didn't like the outboarded hangers. I like the extra width with 60 axles and bigger bushings from the 60 mounts.
So your using stock 60 springs front and rear or lifted off the shelf 60 springs front and rear?

So your using stock 60 springs front and rear or lifted off the shelf 60 springs front and rear?
Stock 60 springs front and rear. When I get all the weight on it and drive it I'll adjust from there, add a leaf or remove one, etc...

Oh OK. So are u shooting for stockish height but a nice Ride?

Yes, kinda. If my quick math is correct, it should be about 6" over stock. 3.5" lift for tires(stock 27-28" to 35") about an inch in springs(the 40 is a bit lighter than the 60) and about an 1 1/2 for the spring hangers. I just took a quick look at your build! I'm gonna have to read that tonight it looks pretty sweet!!

Hey thanks for the mention fjdiesel!

I'm only ran 34's but could fit 37's with only a bit of bumpstop extending to limit uptravel.
20151111_184937.jpg

I was running a 60 diff in the rear with hub spacers up front to match the width. This allowed 60 width in a 40 without having to outboard the springs up front.
20110613_007.jpg

20110617_001.jpg

@brisveganbj42 Thanks for correcting that you had a 60 axle in the rear. I still really like the stance of your old 42! And the flex!!

Is it possible to move the spring perches on the axles and keep the stock shackles in place? Or is the pumpkin in the way?

I wanted to use 60 axles on my 78 but this seems like a PITA

Is it possible to move the spring perches on the axles and keep the stock shackles in place? Or is the pumpkin in the way?

I wanted to use 60 axles on my 78 but this seems like a PITA

The pumpkin is in the way. That being said, I have seen here on Mud some people have done a nice job cutting into the pumpkin and building there own perch. I felt it was easier to outboard the spring mounts on the frame.

I am glad this thread is helping some people.
As far as my project, I discovered that the used axle I bought was more used that I had anticipated. That and some new found rust under my seats lead me in a complete different and expensive direction for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom